Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

Backup camera

I am wanting to up grade my backup camera on my 2005 dsdp 4023. The stock camera is still working but the quality of the images is marginal at the best in the daytime and below marginal at night. I would like to use the same wiring if possible (don't mind splicing cable). Has anyone swaped out their system for better one and if so, any suggestions on what system to go with? We are in n/W Texas at a RV park waiting for weather to get better (high winds , and rain). Spent 6 months in Az. Camp hosting and are returning to home base in Iowa. Thanks in advance. Roger & Char
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
One of the first things I did when we got our coach was to replace the camera system with a kit from Rear View Safety. I think it was about $400 for the monitor, rear camera, and two side cameras for the turn signals. Adding the side cameras was a real good plus as it has save us several times from impatient drivers slipping into the right lane to pass after we passed another semi. The new system can be spliced in but I chose to route new wiring leaving to old wires in place. The only issue with splicing in is you may have 4 wires (power, return, audio and video) and need 5 wires due to it being a newer system with reverse imaging. You can just use the audio wire for the imaging and it will work just fine.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I switched out my OEM black and white rear camera with the following system. I also purchased the color camera with IR night vision...

RV Cams ADTH Replacement Kit

It was pretty much "plug and play" but the included instructions were not that good. As I remember it came with two video connectors and no instructions as to which one to connect to the wires in the dash from the OEM display. I had to fool around with it, a little, and finally got it working. The biggest problem was that when it is in the right mode and displaying the correct left and right out the back, the menus are all displayed in reverse. Don't need the menus so this isn't a real big deal, but you will have to live with that.. You will also have to be creative in mounting the new display OVER, not IN the old dash cutout. The new camera display is bigger than the old one. Here are a couple of photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 in LCD Monitor.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	160174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	160175  

Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #4

In our 2004 MADP I took out the Pioneer dash mounted stereo with flip out monitor and mounted a 7" color monitor I got on Amazon for $50 that connected to the original backup camera using the original RCA cable.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

yea, if you use Rear View Safety you should be able to splice in the cable
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:13 PM   #6

Rear view camera

Thanks everyone for your input. A lot of good ideas. I like the idea of maybe switching out the monitor but also think the side cameras may be a good thing to have. Do indivuals with the side cameras think that they are a must have or may be something not needed. I may need some ideas on how to mount the side cameras in order for them to look like factory installed. For what it is worth, my original monitor is a voyager. Thanks again. Roger
Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck with whatever you put in.

I don't personally see the need for side cameras. My side mirrors with the convex mirrors give me all the information I need while traveling. There must be some good reasons for them, so I will leave it to those who have them to give you some information...
Old 05-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just finished installing a new rearview safety system (through Costco.com for $199). I replaced an old voyager crt system and ended up splicing cable ends. It went in real easy and works great. I plan on adding side view cams at some point just for extra eyes.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
Good luck with whatever you put in.

I don't personally see the need for side cameras. My side mirrors with the convex mirrors give me all the information I need while traveling. There must be some good reasons for them, so I will leave it to those who have them to give you some information...
RJOL,

The reason for side cameras is safety. From experience I had a impatient driver slip into the right lane after I passed a semi. Reflection in the window made it hard for me to see the convex mirror and when I saw I was clear of the semi in the rear camera view I hit the turn signal. Then I check the right mirrors, nothing there, and glanced at the monitor. Whoa, look at that! Couldn't see the Mustang for the reflections but the monitor had a clear picture of it. Saved us a lot of damage to the coach (I didn't care about the fool Mustanger) and a unpleasant trip.

I'm a flight instructor and I teach to use all available data for a safe outcome. The same applies here. Spending a few extra bucks for safety is a few extra bucks spent wisely. If you are upgrading your camera system add the side cameras. It's money well spent.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #10

I replaced my 2001 black and white camera/monitor system with a 7" color monitor and a color camera from Amazon for less than $60. I know that most of you would not try a cheapo like this but I really like it. The improvement in the picture is amazing. I too had to splice the wires, but it was no problem, just low voltage stuff. The monitor and camera were from separate vendors but they work well together. And the monitor has a one year warranty, I can't remember about a warranty for the camera. But it only cost $26.
Dixie Mopars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera