Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Backup Camera

I do not like using the lane change cameras. I find it much better to use my mirrors and the view from the backup camera when looking for clearance while passing another vehicle.

That being said, I know how to disable the cameras in the mirrors be severing the wires that trip when the signals are used. The problem is I have looked and looked and can’t find the trigger wires to sever them.

If anyone has accompltthis fix I sure would appreciate some guidance.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #2

Why not just remove the monitor in your dash and un-plug the camera leads?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Backup Camera

You could unplug them but then you won’t have the option to view them if needed. As far as cutting the trigger wires. They should be on the back of the monitor. Need to probe the wires while turn signals are active, I just did this for my 360 camera system
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #4

Look up the installation manual for the camera system. Mine shows the trigger wires from the camera. You should be able to find them on rear of display unit. Don't know how long the leads are but if no connectors found just cut and mark them in case you or others want to reconnect in the future.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Look up the installation manual for the camera system. Mine shows the trigger wires from the camera. You should be able to find them on rear of display unit. Don't know how long the leads are but if no connectors found just cut and mark them in case you or others want to reconnect in the future.
There is a shielded cable that leaves the back of the camera that contains hot, ground, backup camera, day/night trigger, sound trigger, left signal trigger, and right signal trigger. The cable disappears into the firewall.

In order to have the camera continue to function but disable the turn signal trigger wires, I need to locate those two specific wires (green & brown). They are wired into the turn signal somewhere.

When it warms up a bit, I plan on trying to find where the cable exits the firewall. I was hoping someone with a Newmar coach had already accomplished this and could save me some time and aggravation.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Why disable them? I also only use my mirrors. When passing I do use the back camera when pulling back to see if my toad has passed the vehicle but I don’t signal until I’m sure I’m passed them.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post

In order to have the camera continue to function but disable the turn signal trigger wires, I need to locate those two specific wires (green & brown). They are wired into the turn signal
Those wires should be found behind the monitor
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your system is the same as the one in my Bay Star, (Voyager AOM-713) they can be accessed behind the monitor. I had to remove the dash panel containing the monitor and radio to access the wires.

I installed a switch to provide manual camera selection as well as the automatic selection tied to the turn signals.

Newmar tied the audio trigger to the input power (always on). You may want to connect it to the reverse trigger so it is on only when backing up.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
If your system is the same as the one in my Bay Star, (Voyager AOM-713) they can be accessed behind the monitor. I had to remove the dash panel containing the monitor and radio to access the wires.

I installed a switch to provide manual camera selection as well as the automatic selection tied to the turn signals.

Newmar tied the audio trigger to the input power (always on). You may want to connect it to the reverse trigger so it is on only when backing up.
Thanks for the guidance!

Tags
camera