Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Backup camera color replacement.

We've had our 2003 40' Dutch Star DP, for three years, and have never been happy with the b/w rear monitor. Has anyone experience with changing it to color. Color monitors are easy to upgrade to, but worried about camera being compatible with the cables. Wireless is an option, but have heard signal isn't that strong, and that impacts the picture negatively. Any and all advice/opinion appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I replaced the monitor on my 2001 Mountain Aire and the picture improved quite a bit. It was pretty easy to find the lead that ran into the old built in "pop up screen "
I took a look at changing out the camera at the rear of the MH but there was little to no slack available and I did not want o mess with it. Finding that end of the cable would allow you to update the camera but I guess it runs through the ceiling. You could run a new cable front to back underneath and possibly snake it up through the rear cap.
My son-law has a car audio shop and has done a few upgrades, and coached me through the job. Not hard if you have a resource for info.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
also there might be a tech forum you could post on for more inf. Color much better for viewing.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I changed my b/w monitor to color as well. It worked fine....just remember that you won't get color images unless your cameras are color as well (mine are not). A great place to work with is called RV Cams -they do a good job and will listen to you about your needs and get you a monitor or cameras you need to do the job. The monitor I got came with the cable adapters I needed and it was all plug and play.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I'll check with RV Cams and see what they say. Worst case is wireless, but really hoped to avoid that solution.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

Let us know what you end up going with!
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Fan33 View Post
Let us know what you end up going with!
X2 , in the same boat with my 2003 DS 4005 but not wanting to spend a fortune.
Most seem to be $500 plus for a complete set (camera and display).

Thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I replaced all the black and white cameras with color on a 2010 Winnebago DP with no issues. Literally plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #9

I purchased a 7" color monitor and camera on fleabay for less than $100. Once the original B&W monitor is removed, use the same 12V power supply. Attach the wireless antenna then replace the existing camera with the new color camera. I wired the new camera to one of the clearance lights for a 12V power supply, so I need to have my lights on in order for the new system to work. Because it is "wireless" and inexpensive, it transmits on the 2.4GHz, which has limited range and is used by lots of wireless equipment, so there is intermittent disruption of the signal while traveling down the road. While backing up the RV, I've not experienced any interruption of signal or signal fade. This was one of those,"it's less than $100, so if it doesn't work, big deal" adventures. I didn't want to take on the job of running new cable nor did I want to spend several hundred if I could accomplish the objective for under $100. I saw a 9" screen/camera system on ebay yesterday for around $80, which I'll probably buy to replace the current camera and monitor.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, camera, replace, replacement