Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #1

Backup/Reverse Warning Signal

Good day Newmar Owners,
I have a 2008 Kounty Star with an ISL 400HP Cummins. When in reverse, I have an annoying beep-beep-beep warning signal going off. I would like to disable this signal, as it distracts me when backing up. Is there a fuse or where is this signal/module located so I can cut the wires to it.
Best Regards
Dutch Maste
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd use my ears to track down the buzzer and cut the wires there. The fuse in the backup circuit might also be your back up lights, and maybe even a signal for your rear camera.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The buzzer is not there for you. It is there, to warn people or children, of you backing and not being able to see them. It has happened. I would leave it alone.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The back up beeper on mine is in the engine compartment. When you open the engine door, it's a black box about the size of a double thick deck of cards, just down to your right of the door opening.

With all that said, I was going to initially disable mine when I first got the coach, but I got use to it. It really is a safety issue for anyone behind the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I understand it, the back up beeper is required by the feds. Same as brake lights when the exhaust break is active.
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was going to disconnect mine, then I thought if I ever hit someone...
Old 01-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If something bad happens, and they find the buzzer was intentionally disabled, the insurance will have way out not to pay.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
As others have said, disabling the backup warning will create a liability issue. I wouldn't go there.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
As I understand it, the back up beeper is required by the feds. Same as brake lights when the exhaust break is active.
Backup alarms are required by OSHA on construction equipment and some commercial vehicles. I've not found any requirement for RVs to be so equipped. Some backup alarms can be heard up to a mile away, which is well beyond the range of anyone in danger of the backing vehicle. In Great Britain, backup alarms use 'white noise' which gives alarm but doesn't annoy everyone a mile around.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #10

You can change it to one of the white noise models but can't remove it since it is part of the chassis that was 'approved'. If you read about the white noise versions they actually have some benefits as folks that hear it seem to be better able to identify the direction of the noise rather than the standard beep sound.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #11

Sorry, but some of you "Philadelphia Lawyers" are guessing at best, and don't know "Jack." Only the response by BFinn181 was CORRECT. A quick Google search on this subject leads one to the OSHA regulations on this subject. A motorhome is "far from being a commercial vehicle," at least to my understanding. If they were, I would have to believe that some sort of CDL license or other certification to operate would be required. Comments that are true are welcome, but false information should not be posted. Before making any posts, make sure that you have thoroughly research the subject and post what is correct. Mis-information can lead a person in the wrong direction.
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Sorry, but some of you "Philadelphia Lawyers" are guessing at best, and don't know "Jack." Only the response by BFinn181 was CORRECT. A quick Google search on this subject leads one to the OSHA regulations on this subject. A motorhome is "far from being a commercial vehicle," at least to my understanding. If they were, I would have to believe that some sort of CDL license or other certification to operate would be required. Comments that are true are welcome, but false information should not be posted. Before making any posts, make sure that you have thoroughly research the subject and post what is correct. Mis-information can lead a person in the wrong direction.
You are most certainly free to reject any and all information presented. Just for clarification, however, OSHA regulations are just one small part of establishing liability.

Should you tragically run over a child...or any person...and a sharp lawyer finds that you have disconnected a factory-installed safety device, you may find out that liability is more than just federal regulations.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post

No Guessing Where He Is Coming From! And prepare yourself for the NON-Commercial Class A or B license you will need to operate your coach in the future. Depending on the weight and length. Cause Its a Coming! New Revenue stream here in CA.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #14

Dutch Master-

According to sheet 92 of this diagram

0189-GG7 2005 NEWMAR KOUNTRY STAR, CUMMINS 11-04-04_12720061008514623750

the back-up alarm is in the rear of the coach, likely where "Dutch Star Don" says the one is on his coach. Your ears should help you locate it.

Note: The diagram may not apply to your coach.

By the diagram, the alarm module has a two-pin connector; should you choose to disable the module, I recommend removing the connector and taping the connections against water intrusion, rather than cutting the wires. Disconnecting is a reversible action (pun intended).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote