Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Bad inverter in new LA

I'm outside last night and a horrendous noise catches my attention, tracked it down to the inverter. It has two cooling fans, the fan assembly on one is rubbing the metal case of the inverter.

Wasn't happy that it took 30 minutes to get a return call from the "24/7" emergency contact number, and our initial conversation was a little frustrating, but it has all worked out.

I was able to locate a local mobile tech, which surprised me. We're kind of in the middle of nowhere South Carolina. Even better, he already will be in our park for two other appointments Wednesday so he doesn't have to try and fit us into his very busy schedule.

Originally Newmar said they would overnight a new fan assembly but minutes later Josh called back and said they decided to send an new inverter. They'd already talked with the mobile tech and got everything worked out, he should be able to swap it out on Wednesday.

In the meantime I used the Silverleaf to turn the inverter and the charger off. (One of the more disturbing parts of my conversation last night was the rep thought the inverter was independent of the charger). The house batteries when I got up this morning were sitting at 13.1, the chassis batteries at 12.7. Suddenly the power "blips", I look over at the microwave and the clock is flashing, indicating it had temporarily lost power, and I could hear that grinding noise from the inverter fan under my feet. Sure enough, the charger had turned its self back on. The house and chassis batteries were both showing just over 14 volts. I shut the charger down right away and now, an hour later, the house batteries are down to 13.0, the chassis to 12.7.

As they are replacing the entire unit I guess I don't care if it burns its self up, just so it doesn't cause a real fire, but if I remember correctly from skimming the installation manual this morning (no user manual found, just the installation manual) I think it has an automatic overheat shutdown.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
TDL

Can you turn off the breaker to the inverter?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post
Can you turn off the breaker to the inverter?
Unfortunately no. If I do so we loose all power, including 110. The "pass through" must need power to work.

As the charger insists on turning it's self back on, right now I have a 12" desk fan set under the inverter/charger blowing on it constantly. All I've got to do is get by another 48 hours.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jay you may find the inverter info you need in QT's # 3 the inverter section or the TECH INFORMATION link in my signature below.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry for all your issues with a new coach. We've had our share gremlins also. I started keeping a spreadsheet of issues I have had and plan to send it to the QA folks at Newmar at the end of our first year. Good luck going forward.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter