Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Baldwin air filter PA2722

Just ordered a new air filter for my 08 MA. Seemed a bit pricey . Found one on ebay for a little less. In my search I found a K&N washable filter . Was wondering if anyone was using the K&N. Is there any savings using this washable filter. Looking for pro's or con's. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #2

Here is a crossover list for your Baldwin filter.

These Ecolite filters are all made by Farr, regardless of the brand. You might find your best deal from a local Cummins or truck parts dealer on a Fleetgard filter. (Yes, made by Farr also)
Typically, these filters are good for two years, possibly three. For $125+_, why would you even consider going to a KN filter? IMHO.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ecolite Filters.pdf (500.1 KB, 10 views)

Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Had a K&N/AFE air filter on our Essex with the 500 ISM for 130K miles and 13 years with great service. You can tell if a air filter is working well is to check to see how clean the inside of the air filter after the filter. Every check after filter metal and rubber was just as clean as if new. Cummins and Spartan are recommending replacement once a year because paper air filters have been coming apart because of glue getting wet and coming apart and damaging the turbo. Have used K&N Air filter on all our engines for 30 plus years.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Dennis if you change a filter every year in 3 years you have paid for a K&N filter. With it being washable you can wash it 4 times a year keeping it in top condition. All I have read about diesel motors everyone talks about air restrictions and better performance comes with less restriction, so keeping it clean would help with the air flow restrictions. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Dennis if you change a filter every year in 3 years you have paid for a K&N filter. With it being washable you can wash it 4 times a year keeping it in top condition. All I have read about diesel motors everyone talks about air restrictions and better performance comes with less restriction, so keeping it clean would help with the air flow restrictions. Just my thoughts.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've seen enough of the KN world to form mine.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've seen enough of the KN world to form mine.
I've seen some tests on K&N filters and they weren't good. I used them on my racing motorcycles, but I rebuilt the engines regularly too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sold on K&N. I was more interested in a filter that can be washed and saving money. It can be any brand. That's why I was asking for pro's and con's.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I've had a couple of Dyson vacuums for several years and they have washable filters. I wash them and get optimal performance. I've saved alot not having to buy additional filters for them. That was the reason for my original question.

Tags
air