Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Basement Auto Locking Solenoids Failing

I couldn't find a thread on this . If one exists, please let me know. Our 2015 DS 4018 has solenoids which " lock" the basement compartments from a central button and when locking the entry door. Actually, in the "lock" function the solenoid pushes up a metal plate which keeps the key from unlocking the door. We have had several of the solenoids fail. The problem is exacerbated when the solenoid dies in the "up" position.The key cannot open the lock and having a locksmith drill out the old lock will not move the metal plate. I checked with Newmar CS and they recommended using a pry bar to spring the door. This has happened enough that I have become paranoid and unplugged the solenoids on the critical doors (i.e. Batteries, DEF, Electric and water compartments. I heard from the Dealer that Newmar had a recall on the solenoids , but I am out of factory warranty. I would like to understand the root cause (voltage levels?) so I can avoid contributing to the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated
Ronjonaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

We have a 18 London Aire and have one outside door that doesn't lock when all the other cabinet doors are locked. Order from Newmar the solenoid and will replace this week. Hope it's like our ceiling LED lights which we got a bad batch and had 22 burn out in the 1st 6 months. Will be interested to see other owner post on this topic.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Hope it's like our ceiling LED lights which we got a bad batch and had 22 burn out in the 1st 6 months.
That LED issue is more likely the lack of a buck driver on the puck lights chosen.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronjonaz View Post
I couldn't find a thread on this . If one exists, please let me know. Our 2015 DS 4018 has solenoids which " lock" the basement compartments from a central button and when locking the entry door. Actually, in the "lock" function the solenoid pushes up a metal plate which keeps the key from unlocking the door. We have had several of the solenoids fail. The problem is exacerbated when the solenoid dies in the "up" position.The key cannot open the lock and having a locksmith drill out the old lock will not move the metal plate. I checked with Newmar CS and they recommended using a pry bar to spring the door. This has happened enough that I have become paranoid and unplugged the solenoids on the critical doors (i.e. Batteries, DEF, Electric and water compartments. I heard from the Dealer that Newmar had a recall on the solenoids , but I am out of factory warranty. I would like to understand the root cause (voltage levels?) so I can avoid contributing to the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated
Could your switch be sticking and keeping the power on. These solenoids usually just get power for just a second as you push the switch. If they stay powered it will burn them up. Just a thought Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #5

Got one that started not working on this trip. Suppose I’ll need to order up a part, but I did want to take it apart and properly diagnosis before. At delivery I had an issue, but it was some sort of a short that affected several bay doors, not just one. In fact it was this one and all other door forward of that on the drivers side (maybe wired serially?)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar told me to turn off chassis batteries for about one minute and see if the actuator would reset but mine had froze in the lock position and would not reset replacing the actuator is an easy job. Got the door open by loosening the cover at the top and pushing the latch with a screwdriver.
Switt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Ronjonaz"......On my 2014, they had a bay lock system recall. If I remember correctly, if the battery voltage got low, the solenoids would start chattering and could catch fire. It was a quick fix to the Trimark lock module.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #8

Basement Auto Locking Solenoids Failing

Here are some pictures of the lock system. Note that the key is mechanically attached to the silver locking arm controlled by the solenoid. Turning the key ‘should’ rotate the arm clockwise and out of the way of the latching mechanism as shown. Btw, I ordered a replacement from Newmar - ~$75. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	232007
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	232008
Old 01-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #9

I bought a solenoid like the one above for $7.63. Took about a month from Hong Kong.

Cheapest one stateside was $45.

There is a cheaper style more widely available that has more of a cylinder shape to it but I don't know if it will fit the later models.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-Tr...72.m2749.l2649
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Here are some pictures of the lock system. Note that the key is mechanically attached to the silver locking arm controlled by the solenoid. Turning the key ‘should’ rotate the arm clockwise and out of the way of the latching mechanism as shown. Btw, I ordered a replacement from Newmar - ~$75. Attachment 232007
Attachment 232008
Yup..... been down that route..I was able to come in from another compartment and get access to the latch and take the assembly apart,.but the key will not move the metal plate...I could actually break the key off trying...my current problem is on the first compartment door on the driver side (fuse panel) and here is no other compartment by which to gain access. This has gone on intermittently for three years. I would like to know what I am doing wrong...btw...just had the house batteries replaced with with Lifelne AGM
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Ronjonaz"......On my 2014, they had a bay lock system recall. If I remember correctly, if the battery voltage got low, the solenoids would start chattering and could catch fire. It was a quick fix to the Trimark lock module.
Had a similar event two years ago...I left the Inverter on and drew down the batteries..the storage folks called me and said my coach was making "clattering" noises. It was the solenoids cycling.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 AM   #12

Usually the reason for the key not working is that the solenoid has been activated and remains activated (voltage still applied). The continuous activation causes the solenoid to overheat and melt ... the melted cylinder cannot be released. The actuator is usually a readily available car part.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronjonaz View Post
Yup..... been down that route..I was able to come in from another compartment and get access to the latch and take the assembly apart,.but the key will not move the metal plate...I could actually break the key off trying...my current problem is on the first compartment door on the driver side (fuse panel) and here is no other compartment by which to gain access. This has gone on intermittently for three years. I would like to know what I am doing wrong...btw...just had the house batteries replaced with with Lifelne AGM
This seems like a very real problem! Wonder if you could bend a fairly stiff rod into just the right shape to work through the bottom seal and sacrifically pop off the inside plastic cover. Then use another custom shaped rod to assist a key by pushing on the silver piece on its top lip where you’d have a bit of leverage. Another tool that would be helpful would be an endoscopic camera so you could see what’s going on inside the bay while you are doing the work. I’d of course also dry practice both on another door first.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We only lock the deadbolt from inside at night and with key when leaving. I became worried after reading people being locked out of their MH’s. So hatches are never locked.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid