Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #1

Basement door repair, 03 Dutchstar

They say you learn something new everyday.
Well, today I learned that my basement doors can be repaired contrary to a couple of dealers.
This spring I pulled into a tight spot to refuel and a concrete pillar beside the fuel pump jumped right out and scraped two basement doors on the drivers side. The damage was between two doors about 14" wide and the scrapes about 3/4" deep. Of course the Aluminum edges were bent beyond repair.
So, I go to a couple of RV dealers and both tell me the doors must be replaced and will run about a grand each plus painting.
Well, since I'm not in a rush, I go to a local body shop who does a lot of paint work for one of these dealers and he tells me the same thing but, if I can source the aluminum channel, he might be able to repair them.
I called Newmar parts. The new doors were actually 450 - 650. I asked if the channel can be purchased separate. Oh yes, was the reply. Comes in 10' for the side edges and 16' lengths for the bottom flare and they will cut to shorter lengths for shipping. $130 for two lengths.
So now I remove the doors to remove the edges and see what can be done with the Aluminum skin. After finally getting the edges off (they are glued in place) I find the skin is actually plastic.
So, I ran a large screwdriver down the inside next to the scrape and took a hair dryer on high to warm it up. Low and behold, the plastic came back almost to its original state.
Now it's a matter of giving the doors to the body shop to sand and fill the scratches and repair the doors after I install the new channels.
This whole process will run well under a grand.
I will post a follow up later when I get the doors back from painting.

The photo for some reason wants to appear on its side. Mr Apple has a strange view of the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	117611  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to see you fixed it easily. Saved a lot of money too.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Had the same issue on my 03 DS basement door. Got the lower alum extrusion from Newmar and did the same thing for repair as you. Yes the body shops said they would only sell a new basement door.
curleyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curleyrv View Post
Had the same issue on my 03 DS basement door. Got the lower alum extrusion from Newmar and did the same thing for repair as you. Yes the body shops said they would only sell a new basement door.
With labor rates what they are, I can see why they want to replace the door. But, if you have the ability to at least replace the channel and leave the resurface and paint to the body shop, it works out not too bad.
I was impressed with Newmar Parts in the way they offered an alternative to a door assembly.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is why I prefer to pay the extra couple of bucks to fuel up at Flying-J.
Plenty of room to approach and exit the pumps straight !!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
This is why I prefer to pay the extra couple of bucks to fuel up at Flying-J.
Plenty of room to approach and exit the pumps straight !!
I agree, normally I am picky about where I fuel up but in this case, I was a A Loves stop and had unhooked my toad waiting to get in their shop for tires. Thought I might as well fuel up while there.
First off, I came in the wrong direction which was dunb, then instead of backing out and going around (not my pulling toad so no excuse there) I continued on and the rest is history.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #7

Which brand tire's did you get, Dennis?
I'm heading south next month, and need new drive axle tires. Hoping to come in under 5G's Canadian !
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Which brand tire's did you get, Dennis?
I'm heading south next month, and need new drive axle tires. Hoping to come in under 5G's Canadian !
I got Michelin XZA3 plus, the same as the ones I replaced which were creeping up on 8 years old.
All in with Balancing Beads, taxes and install they were $3200 US for six tires. The date codes were only two months old.
But, that was back when we had an 80 cent dollar.
The store was only open for about 3 weeks at the time and they were overstocked on steer tires from their initial stock order so they gave me a pretty good price and made it better by giving me a $100 each for my old tires. I had not planned on tires but had my coach in to recharge the AC and the mgr noticed the dates on my tires and the negotiation began.
If your heading toward Williams, might be worthwhile to stop at the Loves and get a price. George was the man in charge at the time. Good folks to deal with.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Did they hit you up for GST at the border, or have'nt you come thru yet?
Replaced my steer's in Oregon last year, told the border guard, (when he asked ) but he did'nt care !
Old 01-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Did they hit you up for GST at the border, or have'nt you come thru yet?
Replaced my steer's in Oregon last year, told the border guard, (when he asked ) but he did'nt care !
Yes, both GST & PST. There was no discussion. . Depends on their mood at the time I guess.
We live next to the border and go down to Oroville a lot. Some days they wave you through and others, pay.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #11

Well, they see that big flashy Dutch Star decal on the front and think," Man, this guy's gota have money"!
Luckily mine just has a little humble HR emblem on the front !!

Tags
door, repair