Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

Basement heat on a 2006 3330 Ventana

Found the basement heat fan switch in the water compartment. How effective is this heat and does it only work with the furnace running. Will it keep,the water from freezing in cold weather?
If I set the thermo on 45 and ran the furnace would it eliminate the need to winterize? Thanks in advance.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep in mind that winterizing is for more than the fresh water tank. The water lines within the coach are no heated and can easily freeze during low temperatures.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Found the basement heat fan switch in the water compartment. How effective is this heat and does it only work with the furnace running. Will it keep,the water from freezing in cold weather?
If I set the thermo on 45 and ran the furnace would it eliminate the need to winterize? Thanks in advance.
We also have the fan/switch similar to what you described and find that it does a fair job of putting out warmish air in the water connection bay. We will also be getting one of these to place in the area also to help if needed.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ichn2go,
The short answer is probably yes. I've gotten away with doing this several winters. Open all the lower cupboard doors to allow the furnace to freely heat the interior cabinets where many of the water lines are run. Being successful at this depends on many external (mother nature) factors. You know them as well as I do. The biggest factor is wind. How much wind will the coach be handling during the winter.

The fan to heat the basement works only when the furnace is on. It is very effective at keeping the fresh water and 2 holding tanks from freezing. For you coach there should be very few, if any water lines (supply side) in other areas of the basement. Newmar uses PEX for the supply side water lines. This provides an excellent measure of protection against freezing. The coach is very well insulated. What I have done is:
1. Turn off the water heater (at the breaker panel) and drain the water
heater.
2. Follow the instructions to bypass the water heater. (turning valves)
3. Blow out the supply side lines using a compressor.
4. Pour a glass (about 8 oz.) of rv antifreeze into each drain "P" trap. And the toilet(s) bowl.
5. Make sure the fresh water and holding tanks are empty.

These 5 steps take me less than a leisurely day. For me, why not do the 5 steps and then have a worry free winter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:07 AM   #5

Thanks all, we are supposed to make our first trip to,Florida in January and was concerned about fresh water on the way. I think the short answer is, if you are running the furnace at 45 or above there should be no problems.
Thanks again and best wishes.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sat at Newmar factory for New Year weekend in 1* temps, full water and plumbing pipes full, if you stop in cold weather on way to FL. place a piece of insulation or thermal blanket on plastic floor of water bay , we stayed in 3 CB's dry camping on way down and had no problems.
Just make sure that fan is cycling with the furnace. There are fuses behind board in the inlet vent of furnace below the fridge.
Your well insulated coach will keep the cold out and the heat in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I don't find a "basement heat fan switch" in the water bay of my 2014 Ventana LE 3436. Anyone know if this feature is available to me and where the switch might be?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim

On our ventana there is a thermostat near our oasis heat exchanger in the basement water bay. This thermostat is set to I believe 35 degrees. All I do is turn my oasis burner switch to the on position. This oasis burner switch is located in the same panel where we control our inverter, slide outs etc. When the temperature in the basement water bay drops below 35 degrees the oasis unit fires up along with the circulation pump which will deliver heat to the heat exchanger located in the water bay. The fans for that heat exchanger will also turn on which will raise the temperature in the water Bay Area. I am not exactly sure how high the temperature is raised to but what I do know from testing and use last winter is my entire basement never went below freezing temperature when I used this feature.

You do not have to run any of your coach oasis zones for this operation to work.

Hope this helps
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks, Ken, but my 3436 does not have the Oasis system (I don't think it is even available in this model) and I don't find any of the switches or thermostats you describe. I'm guessing that if there is some heating option for the water bay, it somehow involves the propane furnace.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:34 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I was told by Newmar Customer Service, if you leave your furnace (not HP) on about 45-50 degrees, the openings between basement bays will allow enough warm air to reach the wet bay as to allow it to not freeze. This also will keep the coach warm so the water lines in the walls and floor won't freeze either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for that information. That is the strategy I've been going with. Winter is fast approaching here in the Pacific Northwest (it was 28 degrees this morning) and I want to be sure I protect the water system from freezing.

I'm actually using a two-stage process. First, I have an electric milkhouse heater in the MH and set to about 50 degrees. Then, the propane furnace is set to 45 degrees as a backup if the electric heater can't keep up.

I have a remote thermometer setup with the sensor in the MH and the read-out in the house so that I can monitor the situation. Seems to be working fine. This morning...with the 28 degree low temperature...the lowest reading was 45 degrees in the MH. Not sure whether the furnace actually ran or whether the temperature didn't quite get to the furnace turn-on level. And, yes...I have verified the accuracy of the remote thermometer. It agrees with the coach thermostate "inside temperature" readings.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
As I was told by Newmar Customer Service, if you leave your furnace (not HP) on about 45-50 degrees, the openings between basement bays will allow enough warm air to reach the wet bay as to allow it to not freeze. This also will keep the coach warm so the water lines in the walls and floor won't freeze either.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tranquil Jim,
The fan blower switch for the utility bay was discontinued. I forgot what year that was. With propane fueled furnace, there should be a duct, from the furnace to the utility bay. It would be located way up in the bay well behind the owner control panel. One needs to have a flash light and get way down low (left side of the bay) to see the duct. You are doing the right thing by installing the remote thermometer. That is what I have done.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, Gary.

I will go and take a look. So far, things are working fine with my two-tier approach.

I appreciate the help. Newmar makes a fine product, but their owner's manual leaves a lot to be desired...a whole lot.

TJ
Old 11-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well, a careful search with a flashlight didn't find a heating duct tube, but it did reveal an unknown-to-me compartment light. It is hidden up above the top of the door frame. Works pretty good once you find the switch!

I'm going to proceed with the theory that (a) the furnace will find a way to heat the water bay and (b) monitoring with the remote thermometer will tell me if (a) is incorrect.

TJ

Tags
vent, heat