RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm considering a couple of basement slideout trays, and I've looked at Slim Slider, Joey Bed, and Slidemaster.

I like the Slim Slider the best as it takes up the least amount of space, and being aluminum, it's a little lighter.

Looking for your experiences.

Does anyone know what Newmar installs if they don't make their own.

I believe there is a shop near the factory that makes trays also.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm considering a couple of basement slideout trays, and I've looked at Slim Slider, Joey Bed, and Slidemaster.

I like the Slim Slider the best as it takes up the least amount of space, and being aluminum, it's a little lighter.

Looking for your experiences.

Does anyone know what Newmar installs if they don't make their own.

I believe there is a shop near the factory that makes trays also.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #3

Dirk, your post gave me cause to go out and check mine to see if there was a manufacturer's name on it. I can't find one and no paper work came with them. I have the power two way ones supplied and installed by Newmar. They really work well. I don't know whether you could contact Newmar and may be get the make of both the manual and power ones they use.

Peter
Old 02-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #4

Avoid the brand that Newmar insalls. My latch mechanism broke off and could only be repaird at the factory. The mechanism is welded to the tray. It had to be cut out and a new mechanism installed, this time using fasteners.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is a Joey. Installed at Newmar in my 2004 DSDP 3810 built 3/04.
Sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I put in Kwikee slide in mine last summer. Very happy with the results. Wasn't bad to install either.

Bill
Old 02-19-2007, 03:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I ordered two basement slideout trays when my DSDP was built. They appear to be Joey Bed slides. Newmar did not offer a slideout tray for a narrow pass-through that is forward of the other two bays.

I ordered a custom sized aluminum slideout tray from Slidemaster. It fit perfect. It was also a one man job to put it in since it was aluminum. The build quality is far superior to the Joey Beds. I wished my other two trays were Slidemasters.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Vendors being what they are and having recently toured the factory again, I believe Newmar just may use more than one vendor, depending on the compartment size and the unit they're going in..

I'm reasonably certain that I saw a lot of Kwikee slideout trays when I was there recently...

That may not be the case for previous model years,so a "blanket" stetement not to use what Newmar does might have to be verified...
Just in THIS model year alone I've seen Newmar change vendor brands on items in the Essex from early '07 to later '07,so I know even that happens.
Kwikee,Joey and Slidemaster have a good portion of the market and having looked at a lot of coaches at shows and on lots,that's what you see most of,so you'd most likely do well with any of those.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote