Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Rode

The batteries are Marine 12v. How many house batteries do you have?

Here's some info from Interstate:
I only have 2 house batteries. In 40 yrs of owning motor homes of all types, I've never had one not run a furnace all night with plenty left.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Unfortunately each time the batteries are run down until they die, the batteries loose capacity. They may already be shot. For the best health of deep cycle batteries, they shouldn't ever be discharged below 50% (12.2 volts).
This is the first time the batteries have been run down but it's also the first time we needed heat without being plugged in.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #17

Have you tested the battery voltage when plugged in to shore power or with the generator running?
My bet is your charging system is not working for various reasons but first of all, you need to rule out whether or not you have a charging problem by testing the battery voltage.
- converter gone south.
- bird system not switching.
- blown fuse.

I cannot imagine Newmar installing the wrong batteries. They have been in the game for a long time.

I assume you are still under warranty.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you tested the battery voltage when plugged in to shore power or with the generator running?
My bet is your charging system is not working for various reasons but first of all, you need to rule out whether or not you have a charging problem by testing the battery voltage.
- converter gone south.
- bird system not switching.
- blown fuse.

I cannot imagine Newmar installing the wrong batteries. They have been in the game for a long time.

I assume you are still under warranty.
As soon as I start the engine or generator the voltage reads over 14 volts.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #19
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitou View Post
why have deep cycle batteries if you have recharge at 50%
always thought you could run them down eg trolling

A deep cycle battery can typically be cycled repeatedly down to about 20% and back up to 100%. Always cycling it to only 50% will make a battery last about twice as long. Cycling it to 0% will quickly destroy it.

I have found this site to be quite a good resource to understanding batteries in RV and Marine use. http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #20

Hi rodz,

With a 2015 coach, this should not be your problem, either the selling dealer or Newmar customer service should have the batteries tested and replaced if need be.

Good luck and please post the resolution
Old 10-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #21

Rodz,

The first reply is probably the most on point; you said that you had group 24 with a CCA rating. That IS a marine type battery. If it runs down noticeably, the voltage will drop and your systems will shut down. I do not know what Newmar should have supplied, but those are definitely NOT the right batteries.

Lots of people here will (and have) tell you what to buy, but the consensus will be to get a couple of 6V golf cart batteries and wire them in series to get 12V.

I would also suggest that you double check that the batteries you looked at are not the chassis batteries; marine batteries there are probably OK,

Mean while, keep checking, you will gets lots of good advice here.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would call Newmar for the type batteries you had installed in coach on build.
Some one has changed the batteries in your coach.
The COM_NET link should tell us what batteries you should have.
I will take a look and post what they should be.

Interstate 550CCA Part# 44869P

You should have two of them for house batteries, and you do have a Bird System.

If you want to look up yourself follow these instructions and select Catalog Model Year --year of coach---2015 CS---ELECTRICAL---BATTERIES,BREACKERS & FUSES
The chassis battery would have been place by Ford when chassis built.
nforus has the correct answer to follow a Newmar owner.
The 14 volt reading you see off Gen and motor is the charge voltage from the converter or alternator.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2276167]I would call Newmar for the type batteries you had installed in coach on build.
Some one has changed the batteries in your coach.
The [B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1/servlet/WebDispatcher?mode=logon&env=Env99&user=retail&pss wd=retail
COM_NET[/URL][/B] link should tell us what batteries you should have.
I will take a look and post what they should be.

Interstate 550CCA Part# 44869P

You should have two of them for house batteries, and you do have a Bird System.

If you want to look up yourself follow these instructions and select Catalog Model Year --year of coach---2015 CS---ELECTRICAL---BATTERIES,BREACKERS & FUSES

According to their site I have the correct batteries
Old 10-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Rodz,

The first reply is probably the most on point; you said that you had group 24 with a CCA rating. That IS a marine type battery. If it runs down noticeably, the voltage will drop and your systems will shut down. I do not know what Newmar should have supplied, but those are definitely NOT the right batteries.

Lots of people here will (and have) tell you what to buy, but the consensus will be to get a couple of 6V golf cart batteries and wire them in series to get 12V.

I would also suggest that you double check that the batteries you looked at are not the chassis batteries; marine batteries there are probably OK,

Mean while, keep checking, you will gets lots of good advice here.

Tom
The chassis battery is a huge Motorcraft. The house are interstate with the correct part number according to the Web site catalog.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #25

I did some digging. It looks like you have a Whirlpool residential refrigerator running off battery with an inverter. If this is true that is probably why the batteries went dead. Two batteries will not adequately support an electric only refrigerator.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I did some digging. It looks like you have a Whirlpool residential refrigerator running off battery with an inverter. If this is true that is probably why the batteries went dead. Two batteries will not adequately support an electric only refrigerator.
The refrigerator was off and not in use. When we do use it I have it set on lp. Unless we're in a campground where I can plug it in.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #27

Have you checked the water in the batteries?
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Have you checked the water in the batteries?
Batteries are full of water. Everything on the motor home checks good. I'm just puzzled as to why the batteries only last 4 hrs. Anyone else with a Canyon Star or Bay Star have a similar experience? Only thing i can come up with is either they're bad or just not big enough.

Tags
batteries