Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #1

Batteries

I've had an ongoing problem with my batteries. Newmar says they're working as designed. The dealer tested them and say there is nothing wrong. My gripe was that they wouldn't run the furnace for 3 hrs and they would be flat dead, 8 volts. I was at a campground over the weekend and plugged in. I checked the volts before I unplugged it to leave and the house batteries were at 13.6. I unplugged it and the volts immediately dropped to 12.1. I raised the jacks and went to put the slides in and they moved slow. I checked the volts again and it was down to 11.5. That's with doing nothing but retracting the jacks and slides even after being plugged in for three weeks at home and 3 days in the camp ground. How can Newmar consider this normal? They won't do anything so I'll fix it myself. Not impressed. Their customer service is good if they're selling you something. Other than that they don't want to be bothered.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Just a fellow Newmar owner, not an expert,

Have you tried equalizing your batteries? (This gets your batteries back into balance). Use a battery hydrometer $12.00 or so. Check hydrometer readings before you equalize and after. Equalization should be an option through your EMS system and can last up to four hours or so to complete. Once or twice a year at most may be required from my understanding. This recommendation is for 6 volt deep cycle batteries only. Whatever type of batteries you have search the IRV2 forum for more information. 007's links have great information in them for help as well.

My only other thought is to turn off some breaker systems on options you do not use when not in use mode ect.. or you may have to identify a fuse or two for your 12 volt items. Some coaches have vampire draws that are sometimes hard to isolate like carbon monoxide detectors and memory devices.

Also not sure how many batteries or what type you have, but if you have four coach batteries, two chassis batteries and a good EMS you should not be having a problem in such a small amount of time IMOP. Again not sure how you are configured.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #3

Test them at a auto parts store, for confirmation.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
12.1V after being plugged in overnight is not right. They should start at around 12.6-12.8V. Also, I would put the slides in before unplugging.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a 13.6v reading when you are plugged in and then immediately drop to 12.1 when you unplug you have battery problem. I would have them tested at a battery dealer. You also didn't mention what kind of configuration you have for batteries.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

I have pretty much the same situation. Our coach is in indoor storage, hooked up to a 20 circuit. If I bring the coach home, and turn off everything and hit the battery disconnect switch, the next morning the house batteries will read 12.1 or lower. When I first noticed the problem the coach had sat for 3 weeks indoors, and the house batteries were dead (about 10.1 volts). I am waiting till after our next trip and I will pull them out and have them checked. If they test bad, I will notify Newmar CS.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 4 OEM Interstate U-2200 batteries in the '02 DSDP lasted just short of 10 years and were still good enough to easily run everything we wanted over night. Something isn't right with the OP's setup somewhere.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok. I see you have a Canyon Star. Chances are you have two 12 volt House batteries & one 12 volt Chassis battery. You also probably have an Outside Entertainment system & an Inside A/V System with a Subwoofer speaker hidden near the sink area. Here are some suggestions for you:

1. Take pictures of all three battery connections to ensure you can reattach cables correctly. Mark & tape each cable connection. Disconnect all three batteries, take them to a AutoZone or equivalent for Load Testing. If one House battery is defective, replace both with Deep cycles.

2. Chances are that parasitic drain caused any battery failure. After reinstalling batteries, using pictures as guide, start eliminating parasitic drains. Unplug outside Entertainment center, unplug subwoofer (it stays on constantly), turn off Inverter, unplug Bedroom TV. Buy & use multi-outlet switchable plugs for the TVs & subwoofer.

3. ALWAYS wait to operate your slides on Campground or Generator power, NEVER battery power.

These steps will ensure happier batteries & a better camping experience.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said "My batteries" I have used 12 volt batteries ranging from a few (count them on your fingers) amp hours up to well over 1,000 amp hours.

A but more than "Batteries" is needed.. Like what size are they?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Operating the slides should not discharge fully charged batteries like they did. I would follow the advice of people telling you to carefully document where the wires go, removing the batteries and having them load tested.

What brand of converter do you have? Our converter did not do 3 stage charging, which is best for batteries, but we could buy a dongle that made it a 3 stage. Yours may be similar.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You said "My batteries" I have used 12 volt batteries ranging from a few (count them on your fingers) amp hours up to well over 1,000 amp hours.

A but more than "Batteries" is needed.. Like what size are they?

2 12v interstate deep cycle. I understand parasitic drag and the possibility of something left on. Everything was off. I can run them down to less than 12v by retracting the jacks. And there's only enough power to slowly pull in the slides. I know it would work better with the generator running but you shouldn't need to do that. Besides it was a good test. The dealer checked them and said they were good. That was when it was new. They never have worked. Newmar refuses to admit anything. They blame the dealer for no telling me. From cs "You bought a coach, not a motor home. A coach is only to be used if plugged in, a motor home can be used for boon docking or spending the night at Wal Mart" The dealer said he would upgrade and add more batteries at a substantial discount if I wait until they get to their slow time in the fall.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me reiterate: unless unplugged, your TVs are always drawing down power & Subwoofer is always fully "ON". And until you "NEED" your inverter, turn it "OFF".
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Let me reiterate: unless unplugged, your TVs are always drawing down power & Subwoofer is always fully "ON". And until you "NEED" your inverter, turn it "OFF".
It is off. The batteries will go down in just minutes. Even if the inverter was on it wouldn't drain the batteries that quick. In my other motorhomes I could watch tv for hours running off the inverter and even use the microwave without draining the batteries. Then I had 4 12v batteries but there is no way they should die just retracting the jacks with 2 batteries.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On your Canyon Star, the jacks operate off your chassis battery, not your house batteries. Always have your engine running to extend or retract your jacks.

I do think you have another unfound problem. Are all your Grounds clean & tight?

Tags
batteries