Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #1

Battery bank charge life running refrigerator ??

I am dropping off my 17 DS next week for a full Spartan Chassis service. They are expecting they will want it for about 48 hours, maybe less since I have provided them the air dryer part no so they can have it in advance. I really don’t want to empty the refrigerator before dropping it, and would prefer to not to turn on the AGS. Based on all I know, my house AGM battery bank is in good shape. I have never pushed them to see how far till they reach the minimum voltage with just the refrigerator.

I haven’t done the math, but hope someone has, or may know if with just the refrigerator running, will it make it 48 hours?
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Cannot say about Spartan, but Freightliner as a site with 50 Amp and water at their service center in Gaffney. I expect Spartan would find you power if you inquire.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #3

If they cant provide any shore power (bring a 50amp to 110/15 adapter so they could at least run an standard externsion cord to your rig), I think you would be fine for 48 hours, but to be sure get your fridge extra cold a day before, make sure the ice maker is off and turn the temp warmer (~2 setting) after you get there. I would also freeze a bunch of water bottles and move half to the top shelf of the fridge, that way you've got a good old fashion ice box for insurance.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As long as your inverter is setup properly then you should be fine. Drop you LBCO down to 11.0 and make sure the only load is the refrigerator. Unplug satellite, wifi routers, phone chargers, and other parasitic draws. You should be ok.

Dont forget to disconnect the basement fridge if it's not being used.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

I will describe our recent dry camping experience with our battery bank (8 wet cell) and then you decide.

Set up around 8pm. Watched TV until 10pm through DirecTV sat and living room RV. Had a couple interior ceiling lights on. Had outside under the coach LED lights on.

Went to bed and kept outside LEDs on, microwave light on, frig and icemaker on, 2 cell phones charging, laptop and I-pad charging, and a noise machine running.

Got up the next morning and ran coffee maker and used microwave. Before turning on generator I checked and still had almost 14 volts showing.

I realize you are just wondering about 48 hours and your frig. Based on my dry camping experience I would leave my coach for up to 4 days with just the frig on without using AGS and not worry.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchtravlr View Post
I am dropping off my 17 DS next week for a full Spartan Chassis service. They are expecting they will want it for about 48 hours, maybe less since I have provided them the air dryer part no so they can have it in advance. I really don’t want to empty the refrigerator before dropping it, and would prefer to not to turn on the AGS. Based on all I know, my house AGM battery bank is in good shape. I have never pushed them to see how far till they reach the minimum voltage with just the refrigerator.

I haven’t done the math, but hope someone has, or may know if with just the refrigerator running, will it make it 48 hours?
If a residential fridge (which I assume it is) will consume about 20-25 DC amps (including the 4 amp draw of the Magnum inverter) per hour for 48 hours at a conservative 1/3 run time for the fridge = 400 AH. If you have 8 AGM batteries then not a problem, if less it may be a problem.

Forget about arming the AGS, once the ignition key is cycled it will disarm the AGS and I am sure you will not be able to rely on Spartan to re-arm it for you.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
757Driver:

The AGS doesn't disarm on the newmars. This was a shock to me when I first got my 2013, as I was used to my Fleetwood disarming with ignition. This mistake allowed the AGS to engage in the garage over a weekend that I was gone. Came back to a very smelly garage.

I wouldnt run the ags while it is in service as it may cause a service tech to hit his head at the very least. Imagine the panic if working under the front when it starts.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Although I don't know where, but the refer most likely has a 120V-AC plug in the basement. Just run an extension cord to that plug while they have it inside, and it will run on its own. They can disconnect that when finished, and plug back into coach receptacle and then you can get it and everything should be nice while you are gone from it. I used to do this all the time, when Cummins did not have dedicated 30/50 plug, we just plugged in the refer.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Someone who knows more about how AGS is armed/disarmed but it is not the ignition key which does it. On my Silverleaf coach, it has to be turned off which turns it off in the magnum inverter software. I am assuming this is a similar process. AGS has to be armed through the Magnum Control Panel Display up in the cabinet. It also has to be disarmed as well. The inverter also has to be turned on/off using this same panel. The ignition key has nothing to do with either system.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the door on the fridge is shut...and the LBCO is set properly...I would estimate the Inverter will probably shed around 40 hrs in...but the food should stay cold. Fire up the Genny when you pickup the coach. If anyone uses a high draw item like slideouts, levelers, or microwave...all bets are off. They will probably trigger an early LBCO shed.

This is one of the reasons I added Solar.

FLJOE...14v is more than my FLA (Interstate) batteries show while on Float Charge... I am usually in the low 12’s in the morning, when “off grid”. At least until the sun starts doing it’s thing...
Old 05-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
757Driver:

The AGS doesn't disarm on the newmars. This was a shock to me when I first got my 2013, as I was used to my Fleetwood disarming with ignition. This mistake allowed the AGS to engage in the garage over a weekend that I was gone. Came back to a very smelly garage.

I wouldnt run the ags while it is in service as it may cause a service tech to hit his head at the very least. Imagine the panic if working under the front when it starts.
Wow!! Amazing Newmar can get an RV certified this way.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
Someone who knows more about how AGS is armed/disarmed but it is not the ignition key which does it. On my Silverleaf coach, it has to be turned off which turns it off in the magnum inverter software. I am assuming this is a similar process. AGS has to be armed through the Magnum Control Panel Display up in the cabinet. It also has to be disarmed as well. The inverter also has to be turned on/off using this same panel. The ignition key has nothing to do with either system.
Different coaches different systems. Many disarm through the ignition, park brake, or park transmission sensor.

Not having a safety sensor for the AGS is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Different coaches different systems. Many disarm through the ignition, park brake, or park transmission sensor.

Not having a safety sensor for the AGS is an accident waiting to happen.
Our Magnum, ME-AGS-N when programmed thru the ME-RC AGS TECH menu...allows a MODE to be selected RV, or Other. In RV mode...the AGS will disarm if the generator is either stopped or started manually. That is the only alternate disarming method Inam aware of. You normally would disarm it from the AGS menu yourself. I believe this was a feature required by the RVIA.

I believe they assume if you park it indoors...you wouldn’t ARM it. They do have a huge warning about the hazards of exhaust vapors in their manual.

I disarm mine before breaking camp. I ARM it after setting up camp, when Pets are present... or if I may need a bump-up charge —- meaning the weather/shading is preventing good solar production. I wouldn't leave my pets in the rig or leave the AGS armed if a technician were likely to move the rig indoors.

I don’t know the first thing about a Silverleaf controlled AGS...
Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
C.Martin described exactly how the AGS works in both the Newmars I have owned.

On the fleetwood, there was an extra setting that caused the AGs to disable whenever the key was used to start or stop the engine.

Also on the fleetwood, the generator hours showed up on the freightliner dash display. I believe the 2 options were connected.

On the newmar, the ME-RC/ARC does not know anything about the chassis.

I need to check my tech settings to see if I am in RV mode, as I believe I am not. When I stop it manually while AGS was engaged, I get a fault error. I bet this setting is why.

Tags
battery, refrigerator