Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Looks good. Did you use an acid resistant paint so it last?
When I did ours I used the POR15 and a coat of their Chassis black over that.
Steve, No I did not. Was not aware of this. Great to know for those who have to do this......or..... maybe me for "next time"! Thanks for that input.

But, not that it is the same, but I put a rubber mat between the batteries and the drawer floor. My thinking is, for a time, any other debris wouldn't go straight to the floor keeping it from wearing further. I also think the rubber acts as a bit of a shock absorber.
Thanks for your idea.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #16

For anyone interested, In eight years using wet cell batteries I Never had to deal with corrosion issues in the battery compartment of my Dutchstar and here's why,
When I installed the new house batteries eight years ago I coated all terminal connections with Permatex Battery Terminal Grease. Then, (and most important) the first time I had to add distilled water to the batteries, I first added 4oz of Mineral Oil (available at any pharmacy) to each cell and topped up with distilled water if required.
This simple procedure will reduce the frequency required to add water AND, most important, you will no longer be plagued with corrosion issues.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	204376  
Old 05-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Yes. I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but the rationale works like this. Whenever the batteries are in charge mode the acid in each cell outgasses to one degree or another because the acid heats up and vaporizes, much like a pot of water that is near boiling. Even if you have one of those squeeze-bulb fill systems, each cell cap has tiny little vent holes to release the added pressure. This vented acid vapor settles and condensed on everything around your battery area, fostering corrosion.

Proponents claim that by withdrawing a few ounces of battery acid from each cell and replacing with a like amount of mineral oil, you will stop this process at the source. The mineral oil floats on the acid, thus preventing the acid from venting. Any pressure buildup is vented from above the oil, but the acid is held captive below the oil float.

That’s the way it’s supposed to work, and folks claim they’ve gone years with dry, clean battery racks. I still get corrosion, so I’m going to try it.
Well, you're Half Right.
"Never" Add or Remove Electrolyte from your batteries. Without getting technical, The original acid/water combination is done on the initial charge and must remain the same.
If you are going to add mineral oil, this needs to be done when the Electrolyte level has gone down due to off gassing. 4oz. Per cell for a 6 volt battery and 2oz. Per cell for a 12volt battery.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My internet was off today but as I see both John and Dennis have been here on this subject.
I know the cost is crazy if I had owned a diesel and these battery systems AGM's would be on my shelf.
Not taking anything for the great write-up by BIGDOG really detailed, I have John's redo of his shelf in this link for comparison of notes, so these battery problems will be together and the oil discussions but maybe the batteries are being over charged, which maybe answered also.
Did a Newmar search for over charging to see if there is some help, links suggest AGM's naturally but there are some other answers that might help to start resolve something better with wet cells. A search on mineral oil to see other thoughts.
Some interesting stuff in these links make sure you read links within the links.
Carry on folks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Show Us the Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Nice write up. I would love to see the pictures.
Me, too!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm facing an upcoming battery bank rehab. Looking at your pix, I'm intrigued on how you cleaned/refinished the drawer assembly. Can you tell me how you did it and what materials you used?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:14 AM   #21

Considering that the factory straps seemed inadequate, I did this

clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspryan View Post
I'm facing an upcoming battery bank rehab. Looking at your pix, I'm intrigued on how you cleaned/refinished the drawer assembly. Can you tell me how you did it and what materials you used?

Thanks!
Hi Thomas,

Prior to removing drawers, we vacuumed all the corrosion residue from both the drawer , floor, and bay in general.
  1. The process was pretty simple. Once the batteries were removed, we removed the pull out drawer. Our model had, (I think) 4 bolts attached to the sides of the drawer and 4 below with ball bearings.
The drawer sits inside a pan with a metal floor. We did not remove that because it was welded to bay.

2. once out....we sanded the entire two sections with electric sander. 60 grit the first go around, 120 the next particularly on front of drawer.
3. We then applied "Krud" Must for Rust solution/preventer to the bad places.
4. Did the same to the floor portion.(inside bay)
5. There are some areas on the drawer and floor (especially in the front lip that you see when you open the bay door, that requires a dremel with wire cylinder to "sand" the rust/corrosion off.
6. Wiped the total sections down with damp rag, waited to dry
7. We spray painted (2+coats) with Krylon anti rust primer/paint combo. Bought 2 cans.

We also put all hardware, bolts metal hooks for strap hooks, copper series couplers in a solution of water and baking soda overnight.
For the canvas straps that secure the batteries in the bay, we soaked in a solution of vinegar and water overnight, then rinsed before drying and re-installing.

One thing I did not indicate in my first post, we replaced the plastic conduit that each wire is wrapped in. You can buy it by the foot at most Auto Supply places.
Finally, once all connected, I sprayed each battery post with anti-corrosion spray.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Nice write up. I would love to see the pictures.
Evidently, my post was posted twice, once (this one) without photos.
Go to the main thread screen, and go up a few, you will see the same title with photos.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pictures are now in first post to view.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Yes. I haven’t gotten around to it yet, but the rationale works like this. Whenever the batteries are in charge mode the acid in each cell outgasses to one degree or another because the acid heats up and vaporizes, much like a pot of water that is near boiling. Even if you have one of those squeeze-bulb fill systems, each cell cap has tiny little vent holes to release the added pressure. This vented acid vapor settles and condensed on everything around your battery area, fostering corrosion.

Proponents claim that by withdrawing a few ounces of battery acid from each cell and replacing with a like amount of mineral oil, you will stop this process at the source. The mineral oil floats on the acid, thus preventing the acid from venting. Any pressure buildup is vented from above the oil, but the acid is held captive below the oil float.

That’s the way it’s supposed to work, and folks claim they’ve gone years with dry, clean battery racks. I still get corrosion, so I’m going to try it.

That is the solution to residential floor drains. Also waterless urinals work that way. Oil floats and traps heavier fluids under it.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #26

Battery Corrosion Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDents4U View Post
I am having the same problems as you and am going to have to do the same thing. I clean and maintain the battery bay and can't stop the corrosion either. My batteries are also starting to swell a bit. When you find the correct setting for charging please post the results. I have mine set based on input from this site but have never talked to Magnum. The results look great!
Mark, You asked to know what I learned from Magnum (The maker of the Inverter).

I called them today....Tech Support phone 425-353-8833
While I can't repeat exactly what he had me do ( we went through several settings and "inter settings") But what I will say is the following....

He said there are 3 reasons why batteries get overcharged.
  1. Getting too High of Voltage
  2. Too Much Current
  3. Too much charging Time.
Logically, this seems to give you something to look for in your settings.

However, what I think you should do is call them. Their tech line is for support and the fellow I had was very nice, patient, answered all my questions and gave me the time I needed. This is what they do.

You want to be in your coach. He took me through many settings and we set it up per the correct requirements. He also helped me set it up for Auto Gen start when temps inside need AC and get to a preset threshold.
The other thing.....since he went through so much hows and whys, if I go back and read the manual, I feel it will make a lot more sense.

Anyway, that's my report for now. Give em a try.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about installing a zinc anode in battery bay to prevent any future issues after cleaning and resealing the bay?
Deemax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery