Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Battery charge

My 2005 Dutch Star is in storage. I disconnected the coach batteries with the switch but I intend to hook up a generator to the shore power cord every two or three weeks to try and keep the batteries charged.

I'm assuming that all batteries will charge no matter the disconnect switch position. Am I correct?
GScherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

According to how the disconnect switches are wired, you can't be sure they will charge with switches set to off. You can test though:

To check if all batteries will charge, use a multimeter on the batteries after they've been resting a few hours. (This allows 'surface charge' to be absorbed)

Then plug in to shore power and test each battery again. You should find an increase in voltage at each battery if under charge. You could repeat same exercise with engine started to be sure they all charge on alternator too.

Question is, why not use the on board generator to charge batteries, and exercise generator at the same time? It will require a couple of hours of run time.

Battery disconnect switches often don't completely disconnect batteries from phantom charges. On my RV, the chassis BDS is 100%, but the house BDS isn't and will allow batteries to go flat. I have knife switches on the house batteries and they then are 100% disconnected. I left it in storage for over 3 months this winter while we were out of the country. When we returned, I started engine and generator with no issues.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

I'll think about that, I have a cover over it and I'm not quite sure where the gen gets it's air. Don't think the heat would be a problem though.
GScherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need all switch's on to charge your batteries off inverter/converter with Gen.
If you use your Gen no need to do anything with shore power cord the converter is already plugged into a outlet to charge off the Gen.
Make sure the Gen circuit breakers are operated on both legs out of Gen.
If you have a DP Gen starts off your chassis batteries.
You will need to run for some time off Gen to bring up the house batteries and your Bird System will control the charging of all your batteries.
In my signature below are links to many items in your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery