Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jlckmj,
To answer your post #3 questions. You are correct ground is ground. Doesn't matter which battery the cable connects to. I do not mess with factory wiring. Even on negative cables the size of the wire matters. I can't see the photos. If you can do it without messing with the factory wiring, go for it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #16

Building race cars it has to be on the positive side due to the rules of NHRA and IHRA anyway. But building hotrods most customers wanted it on the negative side. It will work either way.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,
Thank you for your response. I figured as much but just wanted to check to be sure.

As for the other issue re: disconnecting positive vs negative, I did not realize I was going to be opening Pandora's box with this.

After checking numerous sites that I trust, several people that work within the automotive and trucking industry, the overwhelming consensus for my situation was to disconnect the negative. (Notice I did not say switch the negative)

The reason it works for me is because I have limited room for the knife switch, there is not enough room on top of the battery to mount it and still use the blade when the battery tray is closed, therefore I have to mount the switch to the back wall of the battery compartment. That allows me to open and close the switch without touching the battery tray itself.

Also, disconnecting the negative actually helps to cleans up my battery compartment and battery wiring, PLUS, if I were to disconnect the positive I would still have a rather large HOT section of the switch mounted on the back wall of the battery compartment, where breaking the negative does not create that issue.

Thanks everyone for your input. Just wait, I will soon bring up best type of oil, best brand of tires, best motor, best fuel additive, and a few others just to get a serious debate going. LOL

Jim
Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Their is no Pandora's box if you want to remove the positive cable with negative still connected go for it and suffer the consequences.
Trust me a RV can get you in a mess if you are not careful when messing around with batteries and their cables.

JIM ,you have it right any switch belongs on the negative post and yes there is not much room to do that on the sliding tray.
You could maybe take the battery ground cable off the chassis frame and place another battery cable on frame long enough to bring both to rear of engine opening and place your switch there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If I switch off the positive battery cable, like almost every boat on the waters, how would things spark ? The circuit is broken. Both cables need to be connected to use the energy of a battery.

Every circuit breaker on a 12 volt system is on the positive wire. When I turn it off, anything beyond it is dead.

It really doesn't matter which cable you remove. Once the cable is off, the circuit is incomplete.
When I make a post I am talking to two different owners of coach's gas and deisel, your diesel coach may have a battery cut off switch for your positive battery side but maybe some diesel owners do not, like a gas owner never had.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
Gary,
Thank you for your response. I figured as much but just wanted to check to be sure.

As for the other issue re: disconnecting positive vs negative, I did not realize I was going to be opening Pandora's box with this.

After checking numerous sites that I trust, several people that work within the automotive and trucking industry, the overwhelming consensus for my situation was to disconnect the negative. (Notice I did not say switch the negative)

The reason it works for me is because I have limited room for the knife switch, there is not enough room on top of the battery to mount it and still use the blade when the battery tray is closed, therefore I have to mount the switch to the back wall of the battery compartment. That allows me to open and close the switch without touching the battery tray itself.

Also, disconnecting the negative actually helps to cleans up my battery compartment and battery wiring, PLUS, if I were to disconnect the positive I would still have a rather large HOT section of the switch mounted on the back wall of the battery compartment, where breaking the negative does not create that issue.

Thanks everyone for your input. Just wait, I will soon bring up best type of oil, best brand of tires, best motor, best fuel additive, and a few others just to get a serious debate going. LOL

Jim
Don't forget to add Ford vs Chevy and Spartan vs Freightliner to your list. VERY IMPORTANT SUBJECTS!
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, manual, switch