RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery Disconnect

Ref to storing coach without shore power. I am trying to minimize all phantom power drains. There is a rocker switch adjacient to the SilverLeaf screen labeled “Battery Disconnect”. When activated what does it shut down? It seems to shut down the SilverLeaf. I found a large red knob in the chassis battery bay. What is the difference. What is the best combination for minimizing battery drain? Will the pitiful rooftop solar panel still supply charge to the coach with the disconnect activated?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

The only real way is to remove the negative battery cable at the battery. Most anything else will still allow parasitic draw from a few items like radio memory, smoke detector, etc.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our "Black Bag" contained a printout that shows the location and a detailed list of every 12vdc fuse/breaker.

If you don't have that...there are stickers placed near the fuse panel usually. You are probably familiar with the one inside the coach.

Behind our cord reel is a plastic barrier panel held on with velcro. When you remove the panel...there are a couple of fuse blocks...and a row of self-resetting 12vdc breakers. Look on the back of the plastic panel for a legend.

There are two categories
. continuous battery powered
.non-continuous battery powered

When you flip that switch you refered to...the relay above opens...and the non-continuous items are depowered. You still have all the continuous battery powered items running...

Note...this applies the loads on the HOUSE battery cable. You will probably notice there is also a CHASSIS, and a INVERTER...these are direct connect to the battery.

If you turn off your inverter and charger you have probably illiminated the biggest loads on the Inverter cable...
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

When disconnecting the coach batteries have I read some place that there is a specific procedure for doing so to avert damage to the invertor and on board computer?
Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
When disconnecting the coach batteries have I read some place that there is a specific procedure for doing so to avert damage to the invertor and on board computer?
Yes...for Magnum Inverters with sensitive networked accessories ie..ME-AGS-N, or ME-BMK...the Inverter positive needs to be removed before the Inverter negative. Else...the Inverter will seek ground thru these sensitive components and damage them.

I believe the New Aire is not equipped with Magnum Energy...I think I heard it has Xantrex???
Old 02-22-2019, 05:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Yes...for Magnum Inverters with sensitive networked accessories ie..ME-AGS-N, or ME-BMK...the Inverter positive needs to be removed before the Inverter negative. Else...the Inverter will seek ground thru these sensitive components and damage them.

I believe the New Aire is not equipped with Magnum Energy...I think I heard it has Xantrex???
Agree and thank C Martin for educating me re my Magnum. I posted signs in house batty tray so a shop doesn't cause a problem.
I also did some further digging and find the (Cummins / Freightliner) chassis batty recommendation is OK to use the disconnect SW on Pos but when removing batty to disconnect Neg first. It turns out there is a bypass around the disconnect SW that powers the ECM and that wants the Neg disconnected before the Pos
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Agree and thank C Martin for educating me re my Magnum. I posted signs in house batty tray so a shop doesn't cause a problem.
I also did some further digging and find the (Cummins / Freightliner) chassis batty recommendation is OK to use the disconnect SW on Pos but when removing batty to disconnect Neg first. It turns out there is a bypass around the disconnect SW that powers the ECM and that wants the Neg disconnected before the Pos
Interesting...Thanks for that. I didn’t know that. ECMs aren’t cheap to replace...
Old 02-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post

You are correct....the NA does have a Xantrex.
Had one in my previous MH and really enjoyed it.
Never had a problem with it when turning off all power in coach.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #9

I have knife switches on negative post of chassis battery and two house batteries that I can throw when coach is in storage. Still have all three original batteries.

RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect