Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect Switch

I’m sure this has already been addressed but I can’t find the answer. My Coach is winterized and plugged into a 30 amp circuit to charge the batteries, etc. I switched on the battery disconnect switch (disconnected batteries) for the coach, but not the chassis and left town. Will the batteries still charge while the house batteries are disconnected by the switch? Thanks.
TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #2

It would help if you said what year and model coach you have.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBased View Post
I’m sure this has already been addressed but I can’t find the answer. My Coach is winterized and plugged into a 30 amp circuit to charge the batteries, etc. I switched on the battery disconnect switch (disconnected batteries) for the coach, but not the chassis and left town. Will the batteries still charge while the house batteries are disconnected by the switch? Thanks.
Depends on how it is wired! I think my inverter/charger is off if my battery switch is off and it wont' charge.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
In general Newmar coaches that are hooked up to power of any type should have their batteries connected (normal mode, not the mode where you don't have lights). This allows the coach batteries to be kept charged and the BIRD or BIM to keep the chassis battery charged. Depending on how long you will be gone you may be unpleasantly surprised when your coach won't start
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The VTDP and DSDP have a similar layout...

If you look at the blueprint...in the lower right corner above the self-resetting breakers (whichnare behind a plastic panel in the back of your cord reel compartment). Newmar designates some as continuous battery power and others as non-continuous battery power...Same with the two fuse blocks in the compartment...one continuous, one non-continuous. The B2 and B3 self resetting dc breakers feed the fuse panel in the 1/2 bath cabinet. So all of that is non-continuous as well.

Read the list of breakers and you will see exactly what is powered down with the switch.

The only time I touch it is to reduce loads before taking my batteries out for cleaning and maintenance...or as a trick to reset the Bluetooth transmitter in my See Level panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11CBECA7-756D-4DBB-A112-7C369E431D7C.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	231239   Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D64D33-C794-431A-8AE3-99D7EEC980DC.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	231240  

Old 01-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the locking relay that is controlled by the switch...

The wires on one side are always battery powered...and the other side, switched on/off to your liking.

Of course...it shows up upside down on this site for some reason...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180227_155538.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	231241  
Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The inverter/charger is typically wired directly to the batteries. Thus, the battery bank discinnect switch does not disable the inverter/charger. Some coaches will have an additional disconnect for the inverter/charger.

You can easily check this. Enable the battery bank disconnect and check if the battery charger is still charging the batteries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TNBased,
You are connected to shore power. Why turn off the disconnect switch? I turn off the disconnect switch only when servicing the batteries. For me I see no other reason to turn off the disconnect switch.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
So with all these answers you should by now realize the BCO switch needs to be on so battery charging systems can do their job and keep all your battery's charged, 110 power can do the same thing with BCO switch on.
Its all covered in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #10

Battery Disconnect Switch - Thanks

Thanks to all for the help. I checked the system yesterday and the batteries showed to be at 12.1 for the coach, and the chassis was at 11.9. I understand that is low but not as I would have expected if it wasn't receiving any charge for 9 weeks. As suggested by VSheets, I engaged the disconnect switch and saw that the monitor showed the system was in float charge.

This is a 2015 Ventana 4369.

Again, thanks for the help and I'll be discriminating in my use of the disconnect switch in the future. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.
TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch