Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

Question Battery Disconnect switch- Bay Star

Wonder why Nemar only has one disconnect switch fr just the Coach batteries? My buddy has a Winnebago, and he has a separate disconnect switch for the chassis battery.
Any ideas what they do this?
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 AM   #2

I would think that they are trying to eliminate the parasitic draws to the chassis battery during storage. The dash radio is one of them. Over a 4 - 6 month winter storage, even the chassis battery will run down to some extent.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can always add a knife switch on your battery but three or four months just sitting there the batteries will need to be recharged either by a shore power line or a AGS System off your Gen so converter can bring them up to full charge.
My coach for 14 years was always plugged in to house outlet and I still had the same original chassis battery as when purchased.
Some Bay Star owners have found ways to keep all their batteries charged and they are posted in the Bay Star Section of QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

14 years! That must be a battery record.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The year I sold coach had to use the battery boost to start the coach that spring told the new owner to change battery when they got home in MI. but didn't like doing that and stopped in Albany and had battery changed at truck stop.
Bad situation didn't change correctly and burned up circuit boards , fuses and move locked slide out out on bottom of slide.
Its OK now after getting to good Dealer plus they had the 13 year old drive tires replaced after driving 1000 miles home.
Coach has been cleaned up and looks better than new when we bought it and its traveling out west all over the place, they sure do enjoy it, best gas coach we ever had 8.1 Chev & Allison trans, Workhorse chassis.
Enjoy yours had Fords , old truck chassis's before and saw the new Ford RV chassis back in 2010 Tampa show almost a copy of the Workhorse at the time their competitor.
Safe travels my friend.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #6

Have you checked in the engine compartment for a chassis battery disconnect switch? That is where mine is on my 2004 Dutchstar.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Battery disconnect

Same question...why only one battery disconnect on Ventana? Just traded a Winnebago that had two. Should I consider installing a second disconnect or spend my money and worries elsewhere?
Jimharry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #8

Even our old London Aire has a disconnect in the engine bay, it doesn't say chassis battery disconnect but something like engine disconnect. Check there.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch