Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Battery Disconnect Switch Operation - 2016 Ventana LE

After owning my "new to me" 2016 Ventana LE for a short four months I'm still climbing the learning curve on all of the "stuff" the Ventana LE has compared to the 2007 Damon Astoria I previously owned.

One of those items is the Battery Disconnect Switch located on the controls panel above the entry door. The Battery Disconnect Switch has been in the "on" position with its red indicator light illuminated since I purchased the Ventana LE. I have always had the LE connected to shore power since the purchase either at an RV park or at my storage facility.

This past weekend I questioned what was really happening with the Battery Disconnect Switch in the "on" position but did not play with it. I found this information about the disconnect switch from Newgle:

"The Battery Disconnect Switch is used to control the disconnect relay connected to the battery bank. This switch disconnects most loads when placing the coach in storage or when the coach is not in use. Not all loads are disconnected, and, depending on the coach and its options, some systems may have memory circuits purposely not wired to the disconnect solenoid. The inverter is typically not on the disconnect and will need to be powered off separately.

To operate the battery disconnect:

1. Press up and release the battery disconnect switch to turn on the disconnect. When the battery disconnect is turned on, the indicator light will illuminate.
  2. Press down and release the battery disconnect switch to turn it off. When the battery disconnect is turned off, the indicator light will also turn off.
This description doesn't answer my basic question -- when the Disconnect Switch is in the "on" position and the red light is illuminated are the batteries disconnected from the 12 volt users?

Please forgive my ignorance and thanks for the help!!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

When its on and the light is lit, the battery is connected.
If your storring the RV with shore power, leave it on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This description doesn't answer my basic question -- when the Disconnect Switch is in the "on" position and the red light is illuminated are the batteries disconnected from the 12 volt users?

Any time you are using your coach you leave the BCO on as you have been doing with your shore power plugged in and also when your driving because your Alternator is now charging all your batteries.
What is this necessary for your battery charging system is keeping all your batteries fully charged.. Dependent on year of coach the BIRD or B.I.M. are controlling the chargeing of your batteries, this link on your charging system is found in this sticky.
To go further if you ever have a problem turning on the BCO you may see the red light flicker and no voltage reading, your house batteries have lost enough charge to not turn on the charging system, you either lost power or accidentally shut off BCO or maybe you did not check the water level in your wet cells, AGM batteries would not have this problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hate assuming what I think it should do

Common sense tells me that if I have the battery disconnect switch off for storage that if I drive the coach, it won't charge house batteries. I just can't find a thread to verify this

Thanx - Dean
deanrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

The battery disconnect on my MH disconnects the battery from the house loads BUT does NOT disconnect it from the chassis battery charging system.

I believe most are designed this way so the Boost/AUX start switch will work without the house battery disconnect switch on.

The house battery disconnect latching relay is typically a 60 to 80 amp device. The Aux or Boost start circuit needs over 150 amps to be effective.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

One of the questions I had during my PDI was did the batteries charge when the switch was in the off position. Our tech didn’t know for sure so we tested the batteries with the switch on and off and found out that the charger does change the batteries with the switch off. I typically leave my disconnect switch on all the time if on shore power and off if unplugged.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
One of the questions I had during my PDI was did the batteries charge when the switch was in the off position. Our tech didn’t know for sure so we tested the batteries with the switch on and off and found out that the charger does change the batteries with the switch off. I typically leave my disconnect switch on all the time if on shore power and off if unplugged.
Do you have an inverter/charger in your rig ?
That may be why it charges the batteries with the battery switch off

Do you have 12 volt power with shore power on and the disconnect switch off ?
Converter/chargers power the house without having the battery on.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would look in the “black bag” for the Newmar handout on fuse/breakers for the 12v system.

Look for the diagram that shows the fuses and breakers located back wall of the the power cord bay.(behind Velcro plastic panel) They all get power from the disconnect relay. The ones receiving power from the battery side of the relay are “constant battery powered” ...the ones receiving power from the switched side of the relay are “disconnect battery powered”.

Our B2 and B3 breakers feed the 12vdc fuse panel in the half bath...these are “disconnect” battery powered.

Anyway...if you have this handout...you can read the list of things that will disconnect with the disconnect switch.

Once you understand where the relay is...and how they are wired to the different sub panels to one side of the relay or the other...you will best understand your system.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here’s a screenshot...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8077DA40-5E41-4466-8514-CE86885CF216.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	260086  

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch, vent, ventana