RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #1

Battery issues - CS 3911

We've had our 2014 CS 3911 for a little over a year and are having battery issues. When parking our MH in storage, even for a day, we always disconnect the chassis battery on the battery itself and disconnect the house batteries via the interior battery disconnect switch. When we return to the MH, even after just a few days, we usually don't have enough battery power to raise the wheelchair lift under load. If the MH has been parked for 10 days or so, we usually don't have enough battery power to extend the entry steps.

We started disconnecting the chassis battery after returning to the MH and finding it totally dead. We replaced it in November 2016. Both house batteries are the originals.

Please help. Thank you.

aircraftace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Something is pulling current the from the batteries. Get a cheap ammeter and put it in series with the batteries. You will probably find a reading on it then it becomes a process of elimination. Pull fuses, shut off breakers etc to see what is draining them. Any small wires connected to the battery which would bypass the switch could also be the cause.

stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircraftace View Post
We've had our 2014 CS 3911 for a little over a year and are having battery issues. When parking our MH in storage, even for a day, we always disconnect the chassis battery on the battery itself and disconnect the house batteries via the interior battery disconnect switch. When we return to the MH, even after just a few days, we usually don't have enough battery power to raise the wheelchair lift under load. If the MH has been parked for 10 days or so, we usually don't have enough battery power to extend the entry steps.

We started disconnecting the chassis battery after returning to the MH and finding it totally dead. We replaced it in November 2016. Both house batteries are the originals.

Please help. Thank you.
Follow the positive wire from the house battery up to the cutoff switch or relay. Any connections found before the switch should be followed. Somewhere on one of those you will find what's drawing current.

This is why a simple manual cutoff switch is always better than a remote switch. If a manual switch is off it's off but a remote switch may have a phantom load attached. If you only have a remote cutoff you may want to have a manual one added in the battery compartment.

This is also why having solar is good, It keeps your batteries up even if you leave for several days or even months. If you don't want to go full solar I'd still invest in a single 100W panel to keep your house batteries fully charged.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

I also have a 2014 CS 3911 and have similar issues. I bought used and at first I thought it was batteries because the RV had not been used for along time. Replaced them. I usually keep plugged in at home and then one day I unplugged and then the next day it wouldn't start. I blamed myself thinking I had left something on. Got everything thing charged up and checked to make sure everything was off, left unplugged and checked voltage over the next hours. It was discharging. I came to conclusion that it must be a phantom draw.

Electricity is not my strong suit so need to find someone to troubleshoot. Until that happens I have kept plugged in. I would be very interested in what you find out!!
pbrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery