Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Battery question

Ok, next question-

In my 1994 Kountry Air 37 WDSK, it looks like my house batteries should go in the engine compartment. At the moment there is only one battery, and it appears that it is used to start the engine as well as for house batteries.

I am assuming this is wrong. But how would I reconnect and separate the batteries? Hopefully the attached picture will allow someone to help me.

-Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030439a.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	771.2 KB
ID:	8367  
ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ebprod,
It shows there are two 12 VDC batteries. This tells me all the wires must be in your coach to add the house battery. It might be easier to determine which wires start the engine and keep those wires on the current battery. Transfer all the "other" wires to the new coach battery. Sorry I can not be more specific.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Am I right in assume this is where the house batteries should go? It looks like the battery already in there is a marine deep cycle battery, so it looks like the engine battery is missing.

-Joe
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ebprod,
You ask a good question that I may not be able to answer. Consider opening up all the basement doors and try to find another battery location. Remember to look under the entry/exit steps. If the answer is there is no other place for a battery, then one must work with the space provide in the OP photo.

If there is another battery location the question has been answered. One location will be for the chassis (engine) and the other location will be for the coach (house).

Do you have a Battery Boost Switch in the cockpit? If so, the coach and chassis battery should be kept separate (wiring wise). The chassis battery should be a heavy duty truck starting battery. The coach battery should be a deep cycle battery. There are a couple of deep cycle technologies to choose from (flooded with caps, flooded maintenance free or AGM).

It should not be difficult to determine which wires are connected to the chassis. In the OP photo there are two large wires attached to the + side of the battery. Remove one of these wire to determine which starts the engine.

There is more excitement waiting for you. Once you get the two batteries installed and wired, then you'll need to understand how/when each battery is charged. This will require a meter and some time to set the coach up in different configurations.

Consider calling Newmar service for their knowledge on your coach and this subject. Their contact number is 800-731-8300. Ask for tech support.

Go to http://www.google.com/search?q=maxx+...x=&startPage=1 and read a forum about this battery. It is sold by WalMart. It is used as both a marine starting battery and a deep cycle trolling motor battery.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't find batteries anywhere else. I do have a battery boost switch in the cockpit.

I think it is pretty obvious that one of the two wires on the positive side should be moved. I looked all over and I can't find a second negative wire. Is it possible that the battery should share the same negative?

The previous owner included a second starting battery, but it wasn't hooked up.

-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi ebprod,
You ask a good question that I may not be able to answer. Consider opening up all the basement doors and try to find another battery location. Remember to look under the entry/exit steps. If the answer is there is no other place for a battery, then one must work with the space provide in the OP photo.

If there is another battery location the question has been answered. One location will be for the chassis (engine) and the other location will be for the coach (house).

Do you have a Battery Boost Switch in the cockpit? If so, the coach and chassis battery should be kept separate (wiring wise). The chassis battery should be a heavy duty truck starting battery. The coach battery should be a deep cycle battery. There are a couple of deep cycle technologies to choose from (flooded with caps, flooded maintenance free or AGM).

It should not be difficult to determine which wires are connected to the chassis. In the OP photo there are two large wires attached to the + side of the battery. Remove one of these wire to determine which starts the engine.

There is more excitement waiting for you. Once you get the two batteries installed and wired, then you'll need to understand how/when each battery is charged. This will require a meter and some time to set the coach up in different configurations.

Consider calling Newmar service for their knowledge on your coach and this subject. Their contact number is 800-731-8300. Ask for tech support.

Go to maxx 29 - Google Search and read a forum about this battery. It is sold by WalMart. It is used as both a marine starting battery and a deep cycle trolling motor battery.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ebprod,
Both the chassis and coach batteries can be grounded to the chassis frame. Can they use the same wire? Most likely, no. Run another wire, the same size to the chassis.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
The fastest way to find out if you have another battery is to disconnect the negetive battery cable. Go inside the couch and try to start the engine. If it will not start, try all 12V systems. If either system works, you have another battery. If both are dead, you have only one battery.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The red lead on battery you should trace to your starter. The lead with the bend to positive post would go to your house batteries which look to be mounted on both sides of that long rod coming off frame.
I had MH and all three batteries were mounted on this type of frame, use some battery strap handles to lower the batteries down to battery mounts so you do not strain yourself getting them down there.
The ground for your house batteries would go to the frame of chassis.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I assume you mean the thick red wire goes to starter. The wire stacked above it goes to house. Right? The wire inside the tube is red.

Should the smaller thin wires go to the house batteries?

I can't find any battery terminal wires other that the one in the picture. Should I get a new one and ground it to the chassis somewhere?

-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The red lead on battery you should trace to your starter. The lead with the bend to positive post would go to your house batteries which look to be mounted on both sides of that long rod coming off frame.
I had MH and all three batteries were mounted on this type of frame, use some battery strap handles to lower the batteries down to battery mounts so you do not strain yourself getting them down there.
The ground for your house batteries would go to the frame of chassis.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The wire thats covered would be red for positive of house batteries.
The smaller wires that are white you would have to disconnect and see what they feed, could be a fuse panel for 12V under your dash area.
You have some smaller wires can't see where they go maybe spliced into one larger white wire to battery not sure.
If you have jacks a battery lead would feed from chassis positive.
A heavy battery cable from negative side of new house batteries to chassis frame, could double up on bolt connection on frame for chassis battery, if you do use star washer to hold for tight clean connection.

12V side of life
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I think I have enough information to get it setup. We have a major snow storm coming through tomorrow, so it may be awhile until I can get to it again.

I know many people remove their house batteries in the winter. That may be what had happened to mine.

I am curious way I don't have a second battery negative wire. I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Is it possible that the house batteries were connected directly to the negative on the chassis battery? Even if that was the case, am I better off going directly to the chassis anyway?

Thanks.

-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";793522]The wire thats covered would be red for positive of house batteries.
The smaller wires that are white you would have to disconnect and see what they feed, could be a fuse panel for 12V under your dash area.
You have some smaller wires can't see where they go maybe spliced into one larger white wire to battery not sure.
If you have jacks a battery lead would feed from chassis positive.
A heavy battery cable from negative side of new house batteries to chassis frame, could double up on bolt connection on frame for chassis battery, if you do use star washer to hold for tight clean connection.

[B][URL="http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
12V side of life[/URL][/B]
Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Run a separate Neg cable to frame from house batteries.
By all means do it when its warmer.
My batteries are plugged in all winter always ready to go.
Not sure you have the BIRD SYSTEM but we can talk about later.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
what is a BIRD system? How would I know if I have one?

-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Run a seperate Neg cable to frame from house batteries.
By all means do it when its warmer.
My batteries are plugged in all winter always ready to go.
Not sure you have the BIRD SYSTEM but we can talk about later.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
BIRD System helps keep batteries charged, charges house batteries first than will keep chassis battery charged when house batteries reach full charge.