Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I got real tired of cleaning up the nasty battery tray and batteries. So, I decided to put the batteries in marine battery boxes.

I trimmed the handles off the ends that faced each other to make them fit. I also had to cut the lids to fit the battery cables. But, other than that they work great.

BEFORE

AFTER

CLOSED

On Edit:
Update the photos after the cleanup and paint.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #2

Hi Dale,

I found that a good scrubbing with baking soda to neutralize the acidic residue, followed by a good rinsing gives you a decent base to apply a product called Extend. Extend is a latex based rust bonding agent. It goes on white and dries black. It does work very well. Of course in a battery bay, nothing works forever. I was happy because the Extend dried to more or less the same color as the original black paint on the metal parts.

Taking on the battery tray is not on my list of fun things to do, but if you let the corrosion attack the structure of the coach, we all know big problems are in store.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale as usual,

Where did you find your "boxes" Wal-Mart??

What "size form series" batteries are in your rig?

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bikeboy57:
Hi Dale,

I found that a good scrubbing with baking soda to neutralize the acidic residue, followed by a good rinsing gives you a decent base to apply a product called Extend. Extend is a latex based rust bonding agent. It goes on white and dries black. It does work very well. Of course in a battery bay, nothing works forever. I was happy because the Extend dried to more or less the same color as the original black paint on the metal parts.

Taking on the battery tray is not on my list of fun things to do, but if you let the corrosion attack the structure of the coach, we all know big problems are in store.
Richard, also

Where did you get the "Extend"?

Available on the Web?

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Very good idea for the batteries. Now I will have to check my compartment to see how I can get the boxes to fit.

I have used vinegar to remove corrosion on batteries and the holding area, this will work well and washes off nicely.

Restoring a classic car I found The Eastwood Co. www.eastwoodco.com for paint products.
For Rust they have a product called Corroless,(part # 1272Z) goes on red primer color, this is a rust stabilizer, Rust Encapsulator (part # 16060Z)to cover the hard to get at area, goes on Matte Black, and finally Chassis Black (part # 10025Z) which is an epoxy hardened, chip resistant paint for the chassis.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #6

Bikeboy57,
I have the done the soda water method via a spray bottle. It works but creates a mess in the drive. Don't even do this on cement as you have a brown acid stain you can't remove.

park_ridge_dave,
Yep, I got them at Wal Mart $6.50 a pop. They are GRP 24 boxes. This is what I used for my first CAI. There is a GRP 27 (I think) that is longer and I use it for my V2 CAI.

I have used any number of "rust" converters... They all work pretty good. Plain old sand paper, wiped down with lacquer thinner or acetone followed by a couple coats of Rust-Oleum primer/paint works.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I was thinking of taking my battery tray out, cleaning it up, and taking it to Line-X or doing it myself with Heculiner. Any thoughts on these spray-on or roll-on bed liner products for the battery tray?
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #8

Good idea, will also try to see if they fit!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #9

I would check to see if any applied coatings will withstand Sulphuric Acid.

Remember, do to the cable placement the lids may not fit as designed.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by oemtech:
park_ridge_dave,
Yep, I got them at Wal Mart $6.50 a pop. They are GRP 24 boxes. This is what I used for my first CAI. There is a GRP 27 (I think) that is longer and I use it for my V2 CAI.
Dale Thanks for the info, I have the exact same size batteries in my Scottsdale (go figure )

I am going to do a copy of your CAI V2 as soon as I get done with my Inverter installation. I have scrounged most of the parts for the inverter install (got a good deal on a Xantrex ProSine 1800 with built in Xfer switch) Have rounded up cable, fuseholder etc for DC side so your battery box idea comes at a real good time for me.

Spoke to the factory guy today, looks like I will be fishing my 110 V wiring into the backend of the coach. That will be fun..... NOT

Again, Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you used a steel fish? Place some tape around hook on end of fish and push up back space. In cabinet hole have another short piece of fish with a hook and try to hook the fish you pushed up back wall. With someone else it would be alot easier. When you move long fish back and forth you will hit the short one hook the fish and pull long one back, can use a flashlight thru hole to see, if you can enlarge the hole it will help. Another way is too use heavy wax twine with a long piece of twisted solder use for plumbing and drop down the back wall space and try to hook twine with a #14 wire, two people can work in better have fun fishing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #12

I got the Extend at an Autozone. About 5 bucks for a bottle. Put it on with sponge paint brush. I liked it because it turned black, so I didn't have to do the multistep primer / paint process. I wasn't going for a concurs finish. However, I noticed your tray was white? The extend will look like h*** against that white, unless you paint over the extend.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #13

I finished the tray "renew". I cleaned, sanded, primed and painted the nasty parts (check the BEFORE photo). I also move the wiring diagram for the cables to the handle where you could actually read it. It was originally stuck under the handle with double faced tape.

Tomorrow I start on the "tinting" of the side windows. Standby film at 11.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by "007":
Have you used a steel fish? Place some tape around hook on end of fish and push up back space. In cabinet hole have another short piece of fish with a hook and try to hook the fish you pushed up back wall. With someone else it would be alot easier. When you move long fish back and forth you will hit the short one hook the fish and pull long one back, can use a flashlight thru hole to see, if you can enlarge the hole it will help. Another way is too use heavy wax twine with a long piece of twisted solder use for plumbing and drop down the back wall space and try to hook twine with a #14 wire, two people can work in better have fun fishing.
I think it will probably be a "double fish" job as it looks like I will have to drill into the bottom steel sill. The top looks easy as it is in the cabinet upstairs, I will Look at it this weekend and plan to do the work next week. I'll take pics.