Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #71

Love this thread on the 3113. Appreciate the info.
Ritchieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #72

Grumpytoo: First, on the 2017 3113 the 2 extra batteries are installed in a long pull out tray behind the propane tank. The last on is near impossible to reach with any ease.

I like the idea of the auto gen start since we travel with our puppy and when NOT plugged in worry about temps in summer. Can you give me some details on the equipment and installation - would really appreciate this mod?

We_B_Tripn & Dan&Jen: I see your points. I have it hooked to 115 power, but the stupid box says it is only charging 2AMPS and hour and is probably not getting the 100% charge Dan was talking about. Would it make sense to put a slow charger on the batteries and then test after some period of time? I am not that knowledgeable with regards to batterie issues. By the way, we had the inverter changed out a few months ago because it was DEAD.

Ritchieg: Though I have a 2017 3113, the info here pertains to many late model Bay Stars - we all have the same issues and benefits with this model.
tdavidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidstone View Post
We_B_Tripn & Dan&Jen: I see your points. I have it hooked to 115 power, but the stupid box says it is only charging 2AMPS and hour and is probably not getting the 100% charge Dan was talking about. Would it make sense to put a slow charger on the batteries and then test after some period of time? I am not that knowledgeable with regards to batterie issues. By the way, we had the inverter changed out a few months ago because it was DEAD.
Not sure why you're showing two amps but it could be that the charger has gone into absorption or float phases and is nearing the end where volts are relatively high but amps are low. That means you're at or near 100%. Or it could mean your charger is bad. The only real way to tell short of disconnecting your batteries, letting them rest 6-24 hours and testing voltage is a real battery monitor like the Victron BMV-700 or a Trimetric.

The second issue might be the charger. The Progressive Dynamics converter charger is rated at 45 amps and 14.4 volts max. That is not enough voltage to charge most flooded batteries. They want 14.8. Not a big difference numerically but a big one nonetheless. 45 amps might be enough to charge the 4 Interstates but not enough if you upgrade to golf cart batteries and the 14.4 volts is certainly not enough. You can get your batteries up to 100% but it might take half a day or more.

If you plan to boondock, I'd look at getting a battery monitor and then if you're batteries aren't charging to 100% in reasonable times, a better converter charger. Look at solar too. Most RV's, even Newmars, aren't built for long term boondocking.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #74

Quote:
Grumpytoo: First, on the 2017 3113 the 2 extra batteries are installed in a long pull out tray behind the propane tank. The last on is near impossible to reach with any ease.

I like the idea of the auto gen start since we travel with our puppy and when NOT plugged in worry about temps in summer. Can you give me some details on the equipment and installation - would really appreciate this mod?

Ritchieg: Though I have a 2017 3113, the info here pertains to many late model Bay Stars - we all have the same issues and benefits with this model.
Dave if you'll search the forum site for my, grumpytoo, posts you should find my post of the auto generator start install, with some pictures. If you can't find it let me know, I'll send a link next time I have my computer out. Currently on the road. George
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #75

Bay Star owner Mods

Hey grumpytoo:

I could not find you original post on the AGS. Also, I am a novice regarding electrical and would appreciate any additional info on just how you installed the AGS.

SideKick2
Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #76

I am not arguing about the AGS but the first thing I would do is get out my voltmeter and check the battery voltage. Keep an eye on that and check against one of the many charge level vs battery voltage found on line. If you are getting up to 100% and running out in 4 or 5 hours it's time to look at your usage. What else is drawing power?

A lot of folks are managing that kind of setup with 2 batteries and making it through the night. That tells me that you either have a lot of other loads, the batteries are not getting charged, or the batteries are toast. A lot of folks do not charge their batteries long enough, something to keep in mind.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #77

Bay Star 3113 owner mods

Help! My wife has been complaining for a while that the entire rig giggles like jello when the jacks are down. Low and behold upon another inspection I found that the right rear jack is always slightly off the ground - not noticeable unless I get right down to the ground to view. Because of this we seem to always be off of level when camped.

Is there any way to adjust the jacks to a proper level? Any help would be appreciated.....

SideKick2
Old 11-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #78

Quote:
Hey grumpytoo:

I could not find you original post on the AGS. Also, I am a novice regarding electrical and would appreciate any additional info on just how you installed the AGS.

SideKick2
Try this link:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310374
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #79

grumpytoo:

Thanks I will check it out!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #80

Follow up to my earlier post about jacks: I spoke with Newmar and they were not sure what to do - they gave me the number for Equalizer and I spoke to Randy. He knew exactly what my issue was once explained. He said it is called “tripoding” and can occur when the module that controls the system is away from the rear of the unit. This is occasional ONLY - Not all will suffer the malady. He is sending me out a new module that is installed under the steps and is sure this will correct the issue.

Just a note, when I would Auto-Level my 3113 and then checked the jack pads, at first glance I could not see one off the ground. I had to get down on my hands and knees to see the slight space under the pad. If you have this “giggling” feel, check and see if it is happening to your unit.

SideKick2
Perfecting a Bay Star 3113 for the next owner..... Actually, we really love this coach!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #81

Good info David. Thanks.

Terry
Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #82

Jacks:

Well I got frustrated and decided to read every post I could find here on iRV2 as well as the support info on the Equalizer site. Low and behold I found a not before seen instruction to raise the jacks when set and once the system beeps, press the All Retract button one more time. This fixed my issue and I am not longer trippoding. It seems you have to make sure the system knows where the jacks are when they are all up. I still have a heck of a time getting the unit properly leveled even on almost perfect ground. Yeah, it does not rock and giggle any more!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #83

Bay Star 3113 owner mods

Sedalia terry and others:

I know many of you have done the CHF to your Bay Stars. I have added a RoadMaster rear (additional) sway bar as well as replaced the original with the RoadMaster in front as well. I wanted to check my set up before my next trip and climbed under to see that the stock sway bar has an odd silver bracket (not seen in the videos) and wanted to know if I perform the CHF would I relocate or delete this brace? Here is a photo:

SideKick2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080C4FE7-B388-4F5A-881B-0A9FA70B955E.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	185024  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #84

You keep it. Basically you swap bolt positions. The link/rod moves to the back bolt on the SB and the z-bracket flips over and bolts to the front position on the SB.

Terry