Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods

My wife and I after 2 years of research chose the Bay Star 3113 and made a purchase off a dealers lot in March 2017 (yes, we are Newbies). Many of the items we wanted were ordered by the dealer, but as always there were concessions. In Communicating with other 3113er's it seems there is a whole host of different options and owner modifications. Here is how our unit may differ from others and what we really like and those we could do without:

1. Our unit does "not" have the rear window - that would be something we would like to have. (Photo 1)

2. Front bunk and TV option. Ours came with the front TV and at first seemed like a waste, but now that we are finding how we spend time in the RV - We really like it and use a lot! (Photo 2)

3. Center cockpit table - Our 3113 has the table (2017 model). Though the table is very cool, it is poorly shaped for use with the driver and co-pilots seats. The 2018 table has been redesigned and should not have any issues - good use of space for us.

4. Special order front A/C unit on our RV is 15 in place of the standard upgrade 13.5. This is one of the best changes the dealer did since it can do a fine job cooling and heating without the 2nd A/C (great when only a 15AMP service).

5. Special order material for the dining chairs - same as couch instead of fabric - we love this one! (Photo 3)

Would be nice to hear from other 3113er's and see what they ordered or bought and what they like and don't like. Let's also see some mods that make your RV more livable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	175826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	175827  

Name:	IMG_0888.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	175828  
tdavidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

We are very close to pulling the trigger on a 3113. Our favorite from pictures online is a 2017, but we can't find any info on the differences between the 17 and 18 models. Is there any that you know of besides the table in the driving area? We live thousands of miles away from the nearest models we can inspect.

We will be full timing newbies, so I will definitely be watching this thread.
Steezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Bay Star 3113 owner mods

Steezus:

If you search iRV2 for 2018 Bay Star you should find some threads regarding the new models. I know that there have been changes to the front and rear caps; the dash; more room for the drivers seat and other lesser changes.

Hopefully, a couple of the issues have been fixed on the new year model. The drivers seat was a big one for some and the bathroom sink drain as well.

At this moment we are in McCall, ID in a really nice RV resort and all is working just fine! We chose the 3113 since it actually has about the best carrying capacity and we think the best overall floor plan. 2018 or 2017 - you can't go wrong!

By the way, where are you located?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

David,

I know you and I communicate enough that you have a pretty good idea on our 3113.
  • Like you we bought our 3113 off dealer lot (so it had what it had).
  • We do have the rear window and love it.
  • We have the front overhead/drop bunk which although we will likely never use, I think it may help on resale if we ever upgrade to a DP (some family may want a good small rig with bed space)
  • No AV above driver/passenger, but the AV above the table on passenger side is plenty for us.
  • Don't need the outside TV we have but it is there.
  • Residential fridge, 2 heat-pump AC units is a good plus IMO.
  • We have the slide-out table vs a dinette booth and we really like it.
  • The center cockpit table has added good functionality on our camping trips (especially with guests dining with us).
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidstone View Post
By the way, where are you located?
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear there's not much difference. I will have to look into the bathroom sink issues.

We are currently located on the Western Slope of Colorado, but we will fly out to anywhere in the states that we find the right unit. I agree the 3113 looks like a great floor plan and carries a lot of weight. The 3401 floor plan looked amazing as well, but it can't carry hardly anything at all.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #6

Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods

Terry:

Our units are pretty much the same with some exceptions. I really would love the rear window to lighten up the bedroom. I thought the front TV was a waste, but was on the unit when I purchased. Now I am actually enjoying it since I sit at the dinette in the chair against the bathrooms quite a bit and can still use the TV.

Here are some little mods we have done or purchased to make the coach more enjoyable:

1. In the bathroom we added clear plastic containers to keep the items from moving or falling out. We also added some non-slips to the floor. My wife was looking for a leg shaving solution and this little step stool from Camping world is perfect. It stores right next to the shower. Also added the Oxygenics shower head - wow that is great.

2. In the kitchen / salon we added a refer and freezer monitor I bought from Amazon - works great and don't need to open the either to see how cold they are holding. The Salon couch is easily damaged by pets so we ordered the reversible cover so the dog does not scratch it up.

3. Through out the coach we put that non-slip stuff in all the drawers and even cut pieces the shape of candles, baskets, coffee pots etc. They don't even move on windy road and under heavy breaking.

Still have not gotten to the cell booster - soon. I am adding the vent covers this week so the rain sensors do not close my vents at night. Finally, the beginning of October we are going to Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA to get the Canyon P/U set up for towing.

SideKick2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4335.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	175948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4336.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	175949  

Name:	IMG_4338.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	175950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4337.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	175951  

Name:	IMG_4339.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	175955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	175956  

Name:	IMG_4340.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	175957  
Old 09-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods

We like the cockpit table.

I deleted the wall art in the living area and had a backer for a coat rack put in.

We got a queen size bed instead of a king. It gives more space to walk around the bed.

I made the infamous driver side slide molding removable.

I aimed the rear view camera higher so I could see the rear of the toad and added a camera select switch so I can override the automatic side camera selection when needed. I installed the backup camera for my Garmin GPS to give me a closer view when backing up.

My dealer put the bathroom sink drain in his lathe and took care of that issue.

I ordered adjustable arms for the captains chairs from Flexsteel.

I would like to install 170 degree hinges on the cabinet doors under the sliding table to make that cabinet more accessible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2988.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	175983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2989.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	175984  

Name:	IMG_2990.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	175985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	175987  

Name:	IMG_3204.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	175989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3504.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	175991  

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #8

Kingstorm:

Wow great mods! I especially like the adjustable arm rests since I am short and mine while driving are worthless. Were those from Newmar or aftermarket? Can you get me info, I think that would be a great mod for me (your interior is the same color as mine)?

Also like your mod on the camera and would have done the queen if we had ordered - room is a bit tight with the King.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Terry:

Can you give me the model numbers of the Koni's and the item or model number for the Track Bar? Also, did you do the cheap handling fix even with the RM upgraded swaybar?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #10

I've tried a bunch of searches on the forum for the sink issue and come up with nothing. What is the issue they have?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The arm rests are from Flexsteel.

From an email from Flexsteel:

"Please locate the frame id tag from under the chairs and contact Bradd and Hall at 800-445-1830 to order replacement adjustable armrests."

Email Stephanie Casey stephanie@braddandhall.com

She handled my order.

Newmar changed interior colors for 2018. Flexsteel may not have an exact match for your chairs when you order the arms, but that can be worked out if and when you order the arms. There is no reason Newmar can't get the adjustable arms on new coach orders. Maybe they will be standard on the 2019 models if enough people ask for them.

I checked with Flexsteel and they do not have an adjustable lumbar support option for those chairs, so we will need to get back pillows if needed.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #12

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. Great tips and mods too
Ritchieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Terry:

Can you give me the model numbers of the Koni's and the item or model number for the Track Bar? Also, did you do the cheap handling fix even with the RM upgraded swaybar?
David, Yes i did apply the CHF to the rear OEM sway gar in addition to the added RoadMaster rear sway bar.

Details on other mods:

You can get all of this stuff cheaper than at Amazon from other places, but it is just easier to look it up and show some items from that site. All items can be installed reasonably easy DIY (with the exception of the Centramatics which require tire removal) saving a lot of $$$.

Terry
Old 09-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

May I ask where you ordered that couch cover?
Thanks!

Quote:
Terry:

Our units are pretty much the same with some exceptions. I really would love the rear window to lighten up the bedroom. I thought the front TV was a waste, but was on the unit when I purchased. Now I am actually enjoying it since I sit at the dinette in the chair against the bathrooms quite a bit and can still use the TV.

Here are some little mods we have done or purchased to make the coach more enjoyable:

1. In the bathroom we added clear plastic containers to keep the items from moving or falling out. We also added some non-slips to the floor. My wife was looking for a leg shaving solution and this little step stool from Camping world is perfect. It stores right next to the shower. Also added the Oxygenics shower head - wow that is great.

2. In the kitchen / salon we added a refer and freezer monitor I bought from Amazon - works great and don't need to open the either to see how cold they are holding. The Salon couch is easily damaged by pets so we ordered the reversible cover so the dog does not scratch it up.

3. Through out the coach we put that non-slip stuff in all the drawers and even cut pieces the shape of candles, baskets, coffee pots etc. They don't even move on windy road and under heavy breaking.

Still have not gotten to the cell booster - soon. I am adding the vent covers this week so the rain sensors do not close my vents at night. Finally, the beginning of October we are going to Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA to get the Canyon P/U set up for towing.

SideKick2
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote