Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star 3124 Gen-Turi Install Pix?

I’m going to install a Gen-Turi on our Bay Star 3124 and it appears that the stock exit location for the generator exhaust makes this a no-go; it looks like it might be possible to run the Gen-Turi vertically between the bedroom slide and the awning, but the hatch just forward of the generator would get blocked. Moving the exhaust slightly forward to clear the hatch (if that’s possible) puts the exhaust pipe very close to the tire mud flap.

In searching I’ve found references to running the exhaust out the back instead, but I’m concerned that might cause unacceptable back pressure with the several foot extension that would be required.

Surely somebody has done this before... anybody got pix of a Bay Star/Gen-Turi setup?

Thanks

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3124
2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Bcondrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Watching - it sounds like I have a similar setup on my 3113. Photos might help.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here’s the 3113: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4516.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	208716

If the Genturi goes straight up it will block the generator bay door and run into the awning.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Here’s the 3124, looks like maybe a bit more space between the awning and slide out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	283307BC-49A7-49DA-858D-0B815EDA517A.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	208723  

2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My generator is on a hydraulic slide, therefore I have no choice but to disassemble the Genturi in order to check the fluids. I have used my generator and Genturi for nearly 250 hours this month at two different venues (100+ degrees). It takes about 1 min to disassemble it and about the same to re-assemble it after checking the fluids. It also blocks the forward electronic bay. I think there is always going to be something that is obstructed on most RV's. It is really no big deal to remove it and put it back. Yes, I lost a hub cap on the way there. New one on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	208749  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
FYI, at the Newmar rally in Gillette the Olan rep said the reason they don’t recommend exhaust extensions is because they could put the exhaust in a worst area than the stock pipe.

I don’t work for olan nor do they sponsor me in any way, so you conspiracy types can step away from the keyboard ✌️. But as a retired engineer what he said made sense. My recommendation is to please think through these things. Some can be dangerous to use. Not saying this product is one, but get someone that knows something about toxic gas dispersion analysis to check your installation. And no, you French boyfriend from the Internet is not one. Nor is the used car salesman turned magic product salesperson (just trying to make a buck) one either. BTW TRIGGER WARNING, sarcastic humor is extensively used by this poster.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
To be clear, are you referring to using a Gen-Turi type device in general or extending the actual generator exhaust pipe? Hard to imagine any sort of extension would put the generator exhaust in a worse place than below and adjacent to the bedroom slide. The sides of that slide contain the only operable windows in the bedroom and opening the one above the gen exhaust pipe will frequently set off the CO alarm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
FYI, at the Newmar rally in Gillette the Olan rep said the reason they don’t recommend exhaust extensions is because they could put the exhaust in a worst area than the stock pipe.

I don’t work for olan nor do they sponsor me in any way, so you conspiracy types can step away from the keyboard ✌️. But as a retired engineer what he said made sense. My recommendation is to please think through these things. Some can be dangerous to use. Not saying this product is one, but get someone that knows something about toxic gas dispersion analysis to check your installation. And no, you French boyfriend from the Internet is not one. Nor is the used car salesman turned magic product salesperson (just trying to make a buck) one either. BTW TRIGGER WARNING, sarcastic humor is extensively used by this poster.

2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe so, but the difference is like night and day while sitting outside the RV. I'm wondering why it took me so long to get one. Some venues will not allow you to use a generator without one.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Again just passing on what I heard. The rep had pictures of folks terminating the exhaust right next to roof vents and one right at window level. Also the exhaust is not spec’ed to have weight on it and is meant to shake when the generator starts in stops. The exhaust is solidly attach the the generator so restraining the tip end applies pressure to the pipe possibly wearing it and causing exhaust leaks upstream of the tip. This are just some of the points he made. My suggestion is to have a generator rep look at your installation. They may not be able to officially recommend an extension, but they may point out if your setup is unsafe or not. Remember CO is heavier then air, that’s how it can displace oxygen and suffocates you. The rate of dispersion of CO in the atmosphere is controlled by many factors and this is not the place for a detailed explanation. My concern is that some folks don’t understand proper exhausting may be hurting themselves. But it is your safety and I’m not your [emoji1354]. I just suggest getting an expert opinion. BTW and expert opinion never starts with “well I’ve done that for years and it ain’t killed me”.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:

Well my suspicions are up a little after reading your post. Who or what is this Olan?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Again just passing on what I heard. The rep had pictures of folks terminating the exhaust right next to roof vents and one right at window level. Also the exhaust is not spec’ed to have weight on it and is meant to shake when the generator starts in stops. The exhaust is solidly attach the the generator so restraining the tip end applies pressure to the pipe possibly wearing it and causing exhaust leaks upstream of the tip. This are just some of the points he made. My suggestion is to have a generator rep look at your installation. They may not be able to officially recommend an extension, but they may point out if your setup is unsafe or not. Remember CO is heavier then air, that’s how it can displace oxygen and suffocates you. The rate of dispersion of CO in the atmosphere is controlled by many factors and this is not the place for a detailed explanation. My concern is that some folks don’t understand proper exhausting may be hurting themselves. But it is your safety and I’m not your [emoji1354]. I just suggest getting an expert opinion. BTW and expert opinion never starts with “well I’ve done that for years and it ain’t killed me”.
CO is not heavier than than air. There's no debating it. Scientific fact. Try using Google to look it up. Sorry if I'm a little blunt but this type of misinformation has no place in a world where factual correct information is just a couple key strokes away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
mgtibb,

you are absolutely correct. I apologize for the misinformation. CO is slightly lighter than air.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on always using factually correct information. I should have rechecked my post. Used to plot toxic corridors for several nasty things, many years ago. Unfortunately I simply confused CO properties. So thanks.

That said I hope you can look past this error and agree that where safety is concerned always get an expert opinion. I’ll leave the definition of expert to google [emoji16]
Old 07-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a BSS2903, with the same issue with regards to the generator exhaust placement. I would have preferred it if the generator was mounted where the rear compartment is, and the exhaust routed out the rear of the coach.

But it's not, so I use a a Gen-Turi. There is an exhaust hanger for the Onan's exhaust pipe just a few inches from the exit. It looks fully capable of holding the weight of the Gen-Turi.

Sure, the generator door is blocked when using the Gen-Turi, but it's not really an issue. It takes a couple minutes to remove it.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I guess I’ll install the Gen-Turi in the stock location and live with the fact that the gen bay door can’t be opened with it installed. I’m actually a bit surprised at the lack of responses from BayStar owners...

2015 Ford Edge Titanium

Tags
install