Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star 3308

Has anyone who has a Bay Star 3308 taken it to the scales?

Just curious what your loaded weight is? Sadly mine is in storage so I can't take it for a while, but I'd like an idea at least.

TIA
Gordy
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #2

Crickets.... I'm getting the impression not many people purchased the 3308?

We are seriously looking at this model and we plan to get it weighed with full fluids prior to committing. We want to full time so CCC and where the weight is located is important. We wanted a short coach (32' but we're hoping this 34' will be ok).

Would love to hear from more 3308 owners about what they like and don't like.
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
Crickets.... I'm getting the impression not many people purchased the 3308?

We are seriously looking at this model and we plan to get it weighed with full fluids prior to committing. We want to full time so CCC and where the weight is located is important. We wanted a short coach (32' but we're hoping this 34' will be ok).

Would love to hear from more 3308 owners about what they like and don't like.
We just bought a new 3308 a couple of months ago. Love the floor plan and the quality, fit and finish. We are planning on taking it out on a trip next week, and we will be weighing the loaded coach at that time. I'll post back the results.

But, there are not a lot of 3308's out there. When we started looking at coaches, we settled on Newmar first, and then the 3308 floor plan. There was a big change in models between 2014, 2015 and 2016. The 2015 has the 22,000 chassis and larger tires, and the 2016 is longer by a couple of feet. We wanted the larger, higher chassis, but not the extra length. So that left the 2015 as our only option. We only found 6 of them for sale around the country and ended up driving from North Carolina to Ohio to pick it up. Got a great deal though...
The_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We absolutely LOVE our 2014 BayStar 3308! The floor plan suits us beautifully. The second sofa was what really did it for me. Much more usable than a single chair. The bed sleeps great. Shower is a generous size. Kitchen is a bit small on counter space, but I work around it. Toured a high dollar King Aire today and was astonished to see it had smaller pantry space than our 3308! Have a 2qt crock pot, toaster and small coffee pot. Grill outside, microwave inside. Very happy with the quiet decor, too (what is it with the crazy interiors on so many coaches!)

Drives great, handles most smoothly when kept to RV speed (~60 mph). Gets a little squirrelly above 70.

Have only had one gremlin and that is the phantom load that drains the chassis battery after a day or two. Working around it by using a trickle charger. Planning to put a battery disconnect switch, too. It is a nuisance, but the coach lives so large we put up with it.

Haven't weighed it yet, but found the place to do it next trip. We don't carry tons of stuff, though. Only keep enough freshwater on board to handle a few flushes en route between rest areas. We do have a spare tire in the back storage, though, and that's got some weight on it.

Feel free to ask questions. That's how I learned. VacayWheels has a 3308 and his knowledge is formidable. He has helped us out so many times!

Enjoy!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
We absolutely LOVE our 2014 BayStar 3308! The floor plan suits us beautifully. The second sofa was what really did it for me. Much more usable than a single chair. The bed sleeps great. Shower is a generous size. Kitchen is a bit small on counter space, but I work around it. Toured a high dollar King Aire today and was astonished to see it had smaller pantry space than our 3308! Have a 2qt crock pot, toaster and small coffee pot. Grill outside, microwave inside. Very happy with the quiet decor, too (what is it with the crazy interiors on so many coaches!)

Drives great, handles most smoothly when kept to RV speed (~60 mph). Gets a little squirrelly above 70.

Have only had one gremlin and that is the phantom load that drains the chassis battery after a day or two. Working around it by using a trickle charger. Planning to put a battery disconnect switch, too. It is a nuisance, but the coach lives so large we put up with it.

Haven't weighed it yet, but found the place to do it next trip. We don't carry tons of stuff, though. Only keep enough freshwater on board to handle a few flushes en route between rest areas. We do have a spare tire in the back storage, though, and that's got some weight on it.

Feel free to ask questions. That's how I learned. VacayWheels has a 3308 and his knowledge is formidable. He has helped us out so many times!

Enjoy!
How much of a drain are you seeing after a couple of days? I am currently keeping our 3308 plugged into 110 most of the time, but I have noticed a chassis drain as well if left unplugged for a few days. How are your measuring the voltage? Using a meter, or from the power panel?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Have had it measured by both a diagnostic electrician as well as a highly rated Newmar service center. They differ on the cause. The Newmar tech insists the dash radio is the cause, while the electrician says it is not enough of a load to drain it. He is still trying to trace the cause, but insists it comes from the house side. Hence the trickle charger and the plan to install the battery disconnect. Some gremlins you live with...
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Have had it measured by both a diagnostic electrician as well as a highly rated Newmar service center. They differ on the cause. The Newmar tech insists the dash radio is the cause, while the electrician says it is not enough of a load to drain it. He is still trying to trace the cause, but insists it comes from the house side. Hence the trickle charger and the plan to install the battery disconnect. Some gremlins you live with...
The house side makes sense, because the radio is wired to the house side and not the chassis. I feel there must be something else on the chassis that is causing the drain.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
VacayWheels has a 3308 and his knowledge is formidable. He has helped us out so many times!
Thanks Patti I actually have a 3215, which is why I didn't chime in on this thread which is more model-specific. I case it helps, my weight was almost exactly 20000, 7000 front 13000 rear, on the trip up from SoCal just after buying it. This was just me, not much gear, full fuel, full water, empty holding tanks. I have managed to get it up over 21000 with the whole family, two weeks vacation load, half fuel, and 1/3 water. I've found its a very rare case when I need to travel very far with full water.

Your UVW is 800 pounds more than mine, so if you travel like we do, you might be pushing the GVWR with full fuel. That said, I'm not sure how one could load up a coach more than we do. Our storage bays are pretty stuffed!
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote