Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star and adding batteries

I have a 2010 Bay Star 2910 and want to change the batteries
Has anyone ever added 4 golf cart batteries and if so where did you put them,or did you just get rid of the 2 24 volt batteries and swap them out out for 2 6 volt batteries and leave them in the front compartment
Thanks
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In QT's # 3 you will find info on what you want to do plus many MOD's for the BAY STAR coach, the BS Section is in the second section of the link.
This link also has info for your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are happy with the Bay Star and only want new batteries you can measure the length, width, and height of the existing batteries and search the internet for your replacement batteries. I replaced the pair of Group 24 Interstate batteries, in the rack under the hood in front of the radiator, with a pair of Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM batteries.

I did this and accepted the high cost because my Bay Star was brand new and I wanted to make it "be all it could be". The pair of GPL-4CTs became the engine battery bank. I tossed the Ford starter battery. I installed 4 Lifeline GPL-L16T AGM batteries as the house battery bank on a 1" board over the chassis rails in the pass through area in the compartment in front of the fresh water tank. Lots of rewiring was done to also install a Magnum inverter/charger, etc because I wanted to maximize my comfort and minimize the hassle of battery maintenance and have no cable or metal corrosion and rot around the batteries.
If you are interested in more detail search for my write ups with photos on this forum.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

I put two 6v AGM under the hood of ours, and two more in the basement behind the entry door. 300 AH Lifelines for a total of 600 AH. Those particular batteries have the same footprint as a 27 or GC, but they're taller.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #5

ZRobotMan has a post on his Bay Star where he had someone fabricate a tray for 4 batteries in the Engine compartment. I just replaced the stock two with higher capacity lifeline AGM's (dual 6 volt replacing dual 12 volt so had to rewire them from parallel to series) and that increased my capacity a good amount.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

I had a 2017 Bay Star Sport 2017. The two stock 12volt batteries were pretty weak. I think they were only about 100AH between them. I simply replaced them with two leaded 300AH 6 volt Trojans that fit in the same spot as the stock ones.

I thought this would be really simple 5 minute job, but Newmar makes everything fit so precisely that the existing cables were too short to reach the terminals when I had to switch from a parallel connection to a series connection configuration. I had to replace the negative cable with a longer one. Not a major issue, but it required another trip to find a replacement cable after I had already removed the old batteries.
joelminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #7

My 2019 CS has 6 golf cart batteries. 4 in the slide out tray and 2 in a rack behind the hood on the pass side. Let me know and I'll post a pic if that would help.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #8

Like everyone else the 12 volts in my engine compartment did not do much but run out. I replaced them with two 6 volt golf cart batteries from advanced auto. They would not work (due to wire lengths) if put in the same way as the 12 volts. I just rotated the batteries and all was good. Also during the process I found the fuse from my solar panel had blown. So I replaced it and my chassis battery is always charged when parked.

Tags
batteries