Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Bay Star and Canyon Star Expected Life

Is there any reason to not expect a gas Newmar BS or CS to not have a reasonable life expectancy of 20 years at an average of 8,000 miles a year/3 or 4 months yearly usage, towing a jeep, with regular maintenance/appliance and other upgrades/replacements...even some major motor/chassis work?
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't see why not although to make sure with our previous 2000 and present 2002 DSDP we ordered the optional (at that time) hardwood cabinets. We had a '98 Santara and I was repairing cabinets each time we used it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

I expect to change batteries and tires at regular intervals and I expect the engine to work reliably for 100,000 miles. I've had my Baystar for 7 years and I'm looking at having to replace the inner foam seals on the slides do to age in Florida and maybe the awnings in another year or two but thats it. I expect to get tired of it before it tires of me.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I submit that it would be no stretch to see a very nice 20 year old (1994) Newmar Class A on the road today.

If anything, I would expect a 2015 to outlast the ones that came before....like 160,000 miles (8k for 20 years) would be no issue for a modern computer controlled V10 that had proper maint. and was not abused.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

Reading older discussions on various websites, they are often very generic and seemingly dated, as well as self-justifying. It really is helpful to be able to expand ones information on a specific manufacturer. Yet, some advice does stand the test of time, if a person takes the time to educate themselves, but I find sorting it all out is an ongoing challenge.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Is there any reason to not expect a gas Newmar BS or CS to not have a reasonable life expectancy of 20 years at an average of 8,000 miles a year/3 or 4 months yearly usage, towing a jeep, with regular maintenance/appliance and other upgrades/replacements...even some major motor/chassis work?
Don't worry about it you will probably trade it in a few years....
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

I'm probably the only prospective senior citizen rv buyer who before he buys his rv is in the process of getting his registered rv service technician certification with an electrical systems specialty.

That is how I don't worry about it and look forward to buying used and will pay cash so I don't have to worry about depreciation, loan payments, being upside down, etc. . :-)

You are right, why worry, be happy, do it your own way!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
Do the maintenance per the manufacturers instructions and the coach will last longer than (maybe) you want it too. Recognize, things do wear out. The older the coach gets, the more things may just wear out. For me, I would scratch this thought off your list of things to worry about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

Thanks Gary,
Consider it scratched off my list. Actually, the question was a bit redundant. Sometimes, you get some additional insight you would otherwise miss, by simply asking the question a different way.

What encouraged the question was that in doing my research, there were some threads/posts in an outside forum dated back to 2009. Some of the rvers basically adopted the theme that only a dp could last 20 years. That might have been a better argument back in the day. Same as the older suspension experiences, but not as true for some that actively improved on their stock suspension. Many of those suspension improvements showing up in the newer F-53 chassis as I analyzed it AND some/more of the dp quality adopted into the gas Class A's as Newmar has done, as I understand it.

And not to forget the 5 star tuning that seems to be getting rave reviews, as well as Kelderman's still can improve the suspension even more as I understand it - they have been keeping up too.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #10

Bay Star and Canyon Star Expected Life

Quote:
Thanks Gary,
Consider it scratched off my list. Actually, the question was a bit redundant. Sometimes, you get some additional insight you would otherwise miss, by simply asking the question a different way.

What encouraged the question was that in doing my research, there were some threads/posts in an outside forum dated back to 2009. Some of the rvers basically adopted the theme that only a dp could last 20 years. That might have been a better argument back in the day. Same as the older suspension experiences, but not as true for some that actively improved on their stock suspension. Many of those suspension improvements showing up in the newer F-53 chassis as I analyzed it AND some/more of the dp quality adopted into the gas Class A's as Newmar has done, as I understand it.

And not to forget the 5 star tuning that seems to be getting rave reviews, as well as Kelderman's still can improve the suspension even more as I understand it - they have been keeping up too.

F53s can be tuned for ride and power, but hardly measure up to DPs in the comfort of air ride. Test drive both!
When you finally buy an RV, I look forward to the choice of RV you buy, and a subsequent review.
Happy Trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #11

Thanks CampDaven,
As to your comment "but hardly measure up to DPs in the comfort of air ride. Test drive both!"

Actually, you may be surprised to know, I did that, last month. On the same day, at the same dealership, with the same salesman, back to back, we test drove, based on my request, a good stretch of rough road, a gas and a diesel rv so I could compare suspensions.

One was a new Winn 33 gas and the other a new Winn 34 diesel. The ride was exactly the same in respect of the suspension. True, the diesel was quieter, but that was it. So, with all due respect, I think the old song about diesel vs gas suspensions may be out of date, at least for low 30's length rvs.

(Yes, braking was different, but I think we are talking suspensions.)

Now, as a courtesy to me, since I have followed your advice, though maybe a bit earlier than thought, I really would appreciate it if you ran the same test or something similar and got back to me...to see what you experience as an experienced rver in the low 30's length.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 AM   #12

Here is my experience with different coaches, both gas and DP.

Owned a 2012 32 foot gas coach, couldn't stand the noise, handling and ride and after 2,000 miles traded it in on a 2013 35 foot DP, much better ride and as quiet as you would like. Drove it for 15,000 miles and traded it for our present 2013 DSDP. Another leap in ride quality, handling and noise comfort. We have put 18,000 miles on this coach in the last 7 months and are quite satisfied with what we have now. My only wish now is heated floors and maybe another 2 feet

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #13

Hello OC,

1) You didn't mention the mfg of the gas coach, nor of the 35 ft dp.

2) Yes, the closer you are to the engine the noisier it is, as was experienced during my test drives. However, you did not say if you made attempts to increase the sound padding over the engine to reduce the noise, or if you added a 5 star tune, as two examples.

3) I do understand that as the rv gets longer and therefore heavier you get a better ride. It sounds like you experienced ride and handling improvements moving up from a 35 dp to 43 dp. So, my understanding that it isn't just a gas vs diesel pusher issue and dp suspensions can vary as well.

4) Tag wheels dp vs no tag wheels dp are also much better as I have been told. Without looking, I bet you have tag wheels on your 43 DSDP.

5) What you are not saying is what you did to upgrade the stock suspension of the two shorter vehicles. Without knowing if you did anything with the basic issues of tires and tire pressure, alignment, quick fixes, diy suspension modifications, or whether or not you took your rvs to someplace like Hendersons or tried the Kelderman air ride suspensions for the F-53, I'm left wondering if the gaps could have been narrowed. If you are now happy with your rig, the answer is probably never enough.

I don't think there are absolute gaps or differences when talking about suspensions, and gaps also exist between various dps. But, mostly the gas vs dp gaps are discussed. Most posts I read seemly explain differences as if they were absolutes and with not a lot of details. Without the details, I'm reluctant to take someones advice, even if correct in the biggest picture of things.

One thing is for sure, I'm not planning on full timing, nor am I planning on owning a 39+ length rv, new or used, so that is why I dig into the details on these lower length rvs.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Hello OC,

1) You didn't mention the mfg of the gas coach, nor of the 35 ft dp.
Thor Hurricane gasser, Thor Palazzo DP

2) Yes, the closer you are to the engine the noisier it is, as was experienced during my test drives. However, you did not say if you made attempts to increase the sound padding over the engine to reduce the noise, or if you added a 5 star tune, as two examples.
no attempt to upgrade gasser, didn't think it was worth the effort for a coach that we would drive coast to coast a couple of times a year

3) I do understand that as the rv gets longer and therefore heavier you get a better ride. It sounds like you experienced ride and handling improvements moving up from a 35 dp to 43 dp. So, my understanding that it isn't just a gas vs diesel pusher issue and dp suspensions can vary as well.
you are correct

4) Tag wheels dp vs no tag wheels dp are also much better as I have been told. Without looking, I bet you have tag wheels on your 43 DSDP.
you are correct

5) What you are not saying is what you did to upgrade the stock suspension of the two shorter vehicles. Without knowing if you did anything with the basic issues of tires and tire pressure, alignment, quick fixes, diy suspension modifications, or whether or not you took your rvs to someplace like Hendersons or tried the Kelderman air ride suspensions for the F-53, I'm left wondering if the gaps could have been narrowed. If you are now happy with your rig, the answer is probably never enough.
didnt like either of the previous coaches enough to warrant any effort to improve them

I don't think there are absolute gaps or differences when talking about suspensions, and gaps also exist between various dps. But, mostly the gas vs dp gaps are discussed. Most posts I read seemly explain differences as if they were absolutes and with not a lot of details. Without the details, I'm reluctant to take someones advice, even if correct in the biggest picture of things.
i wasn't offering advice, only my observations and personal experience

One thing is for sure, I'm not planning on full timing, nor am I planning on owning a 39+ length rv, new or used, so that is why I dig into the details on these lower length rvs.
Good luck with your future plans.

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote