Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #15

Thanks for the response Bill, great clarifications...very helpful.

Yep, my plans are coming together.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #16

Bay Star and Canyon Star Expected Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Thanks CampDaven,
As to your comment "but hardly measure up to DPs in the comfort of air ride. Test drive both!"

Actually, you may be surprised to know, I did that, last month. On the same day, at the same dealership, with the same salesman, back to back, we test drove, based on my request, a good stretch of rough road, a gas and a diesel rv so I could compare suspensions.

One was a new Winn 33 gas and the other a new Winn 34 diesel. The ride was exactly the same in respect of the suspension. True, the diesel was quieter, but that was it. So, with all due respect, I think the old song about diesel vs gas suspensions may be out of date, at least for low 30's length rvs.

(Yes, braking was different, but I think we are talking suspensions.)

Now, as a courtesy to me, since I have followed your advice, though maybe a bit earlier than thought, I really would appreciate it if you ran the same test or something similar and got back to me...to see what you experience as an experienced rver in the low 30's length.

I have road tested dozens of gas and diesel rigs over the years in lengths from the 20s to 40s. Air ride wins.
BTW, rigs with a working load ride better, and the air ride then shines brightly.
I suggest you expand your search and try 38 footers of Tiffin Allegro Open Road vs Phaeton.
But, for sure, never test drive a 40+ with tag axel; you will never go back!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #17

I think unless a road test and/or ownership of a gas rig includes the recent upgraded suspension of the F-53 and includes the various evaluation/modifications by either Hendersons and/or Keldermans air ride, I'm unpersuaded. New technology and new engineering can't be ignored with a broad sweep of the brush.

As to never going back from 40+ with tax axel, actually I have read quite a few threads and posts by owners who have downsized, even down to 24 feet, so I'm not persuaded. However, I have no doubt of the fine qualities you allude to.

But thanks for the thoughts, I do listen quite carefully.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

I started with a 23 gas. Now have a 42 DP with tag (aka luxury). I thought you might identify with that. Why compromise?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #19

I think you have to specify what age and length you are comparing. We just finished a cross country trip in a 2015 gas 32 foot unit that was straight from the factory with no modifications done yet. Driven properly (take off cruise in the mountains, don't rev the engine high, etc,) it was quiet, comfortable, and road as well or better then our 2001 38 foot DP with a roadmaster chassis. It took a day or two of driving to figure out how to maximize performance and avoid the 4000 rpm scream but once we did that, it was smooth sailing. We were pleasantly surprised and expect it only to improve with some modifications. The new gas models are a different breed then the older ones.
chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #20

Chowder,
I'm not surprised at all that you had a great experience with your RV.

Some new gas RVers have found they needed to change air pressure, get an alignment, or add one of a couple of suspension modifications to their newer rigs, but it really doesn't sound the same as reading some of the older threads, back in the day. And some owners, like yourself, don't seem to have to do anything much at all.

When I first started studying this, I felt this pressure, in particular by the old timers, to assume and deal with what was inevitable to just go for the long pass, the big bomb as they say in football = a 40 ft plus dp with tag axle, if you were to spend say more than a couple of weeks in it.

Yes, many added that intended use was important, cost, experiences, mileage, etc. But, just as many simply went for the long pass...just roll over and do it, regardless, without seemingly to acknowledge anything but their point of view.

Yes, a lot of seriously thoughtful folk out there as well.

When I keep an eye on PPL and Houston Best PreOwned Rvs, I noticed there are a lot of used long dps, with relatively low mileage, with some exceptions. You would think it would be hard to find a 5 year dp with less than 50,000 miles, with all these great reasons given...but no there are a lot out there at 39+ feet. Makes you kind of wonder what was going on...too much debt, too much cost, too difficult to deal with trip planning, gas stations problems, a lot of hassle, whatever....something, whatever, went wrong and not much to be said about it.

And for some reason, experiences like yours, are simply ignored or passed over as if totally irrelevant...well ok if the owner is a full-timer, but unfortunately, just a broad brush stroke with the long bomb pass, ignoring anything but the assumed inevitability.