Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Bay Star automotive upgrades

Let's say, hypothetically, that you are ordering a new, 2019 Bay Star. One of the shorter ones, 36' or smaller.

1) What, if any, add-ons can you add at the factory? I see a lot of people having sway bars added, and Koni shocks put on. Can that be done at the factory?

2) If not, can that be added by the dealer at the buyer's request?

3) What other bits of kit can be added to improve the ride/safety/longevity of a Bay Star (yes, I saw the BS mod thread but holy cow, that thing is huge. And I'm looking at JUST automotive mods at the moment)
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doubt very much that Newmar will do any modifications to the running gear. The dealer might but then you run the chance of warranty problems however slight that might be.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Then won't do any chassis upgrades. When I brought ours to the factory for some warranty work, I asked about installing sumo springs while I was there and they wouldn't.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We own a 2018 Bay Star that is 35' (Model 3406) in length. Ours is also upgraded to the 24K chassis, which I believe is now standard on the 35 and 36 foot Bay Stars.

To date I have no complaints as to the way it handles. I have tire pressures set and no aftermarket accessories. Don't really notice trucks passing and have been out of some significantly windy days without any problems.

That said, I would suggest if you do order and take delivery, take some trips and see how it handles for you prior to spending extra money on upgrades.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #5

I can't believe that Newmar doesn't offer a HEMI option for my soon-to-be-ordered Canyon Star 3924! I used to race and do donuts with my old Chrysler 300C sedan and its HEMI. Why not with my new Canyon Star too? I mean, a little racing on the interstate will make some of those highway miles more fun for this full-timer of 4 years. And, a few donuts in a Walmart parking lot near the Garden department at 3am won't hurt anything, right?
:-)
LOL
Totally kidding.
FullTime2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Wait.....you mean they DON'T?!?!!?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

Procharger. All the boost you can afford.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends on your tolerance for the ride and handling of the vehicle you put your hard earned money into. My 2012 30' Bay Star banged and sounded like the cabinets could fall off the walls on Calif poor broken roads, two hand steering on narrow, rough, and/or winding roads, and rear end pushed as SUVs & trucks passed me. The 3 month old RV had Koni shocks, front safety steer, rear track bar installed, and 4 wheel alignment and balance. The rear axle was realigned to correct a 1/4 degree error, the 208" chassis had 18" cut out and rewelded for the 190" length to double the NCCC (1,700 to 3,463 pounds). The CHF was the icing on the cake.

The RV rode and handled much better. I drove heavy at the GVW. At 3 years, I had park with the front wheels on 2x12s so the blocks I made 3 years earlier would fit under the jacks. Sumo springs front and rear raised the RV 1.5" and fixed that problem. They also
improved the ride since they carried the load over small bumps vs the steel springs.

After 2 rear sway bar bracket failures (Ford unfixed problem), I added a Roadmaster rear sway bar and HD brackets replaced the weak Ford brackets.

I would drive 400 to 500 mile days and could relax and enjoy the view. I am now learning that 300 mile days make travel much more relaxing because having a milage goal was too much like working vs being retired.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star automotive upgrades

A good dealer can take care of shocks, sumo springs, track bars, sway bars, etc. I’ve had work done by my dealer or a local truck shop depending on where the coach is.

It would be nice if Newmar offered a suspension enhancement package. A rear track bar, Koni shocks, upgraded sway bars, and perhaps sumo springs depending on the model. They should be in the best position to select the mods that work with their models and it should be easier to install on the stripped chassis.

The rear track bar should be standard and installed by Ford, but it isn’t.

When I ordered my coach I had the dealer install the safe t plus steering stabilizer. My dealer did the front CHF as part of normal prep so I never drove the coach without it.

As for doughnuts in the parking lot,

https://youtu.be/ohkAxbeMxVo

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Procharger. All the boost you can afford.
Hmmmmm... I didn't see a motorhome category on their website. One would think that would be a huge market for them.
LOL
FullTime2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTime2014 View Post
Hmmmmm... I didn't see a motorhome category on their website. One would think that would be a huge market for them.
LOL
Who wouldn't want 2000 horsepower (for a few seconds)?
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 PM   #12

Our 3113 has an upgraded 24k chassis. We we're originally told by our dealer that was a no go but then some of our followers you YouTube told us they managed to get an upgrade. We called our dealer, he was surprised and called Newmar. They said yes. When we talked with the factory during the build, we were told that only special requests from their top dealers were getting the upgrade so YMMV.

I will say that if you can get an upgraded chassis, do it! Our coach was delivered with 4300 lbs of OCCC. We've got nearly 2000 lbs left over after moving in and we're full time. Not to mention the 24K chassis has 6000 lbs of GCWR capacity, though towing is limited to 5000 buy the hitch. Still, the 22K chassis only has 4000 lbs.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #13

I'm pretty much sold on the 3401 floorplan, which has the 24k chassis. Does it require a lot less in the way of add-ons?
Old 09-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
I'm pretty much sold on the 3401 floorplan, which has the 24k chassis. Does it require a lot less in the way of add-ons?

We have a 3406 with no add-ons so same length. While a 2018, it was upgraded to the 24k chassis as a special as well. I have no plans at this point to add anything other than perhaps changing out the shocks for Koni FSD. It drives fine from my perspective but you know what they say about opinions.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade