Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Bay Star dash radio

The dash radio in our 2014 Bay Star has the CD, AM/FM and Sirius radio options. The audio quality coming from the two speakers overhead is very poor with no base at all ( I've adjusted the settings on the radio). My guess it is the speakers, is that right or could it be the radio? Has any one put in better speakers? Dealer says he can up grade the speakers but cost?? Need an estimate from them.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #2

I upgraded speakers in a bounder and more currently in a Mountain Aire. I used Rockford Fosgate Speakers in both and have been very pleased with them. I installed them myself.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star dash radio

I used speakers from Crutchfield, on advice from a previous post. They are component speakers, so both bass and treble response are incredibly increased. The brand is " Sound Ordinance" I will look for the post and place it here of pm you. I looked for the post, it is from "PDRJOHN", if you search the Newmar Owners Forum for: "component speakers" it will explain in great detail, and includes pictures.
I have done this mod and it is exponentially better, I just added a Subwoofer as well, my Bay Star ROCKS!

Good luck.

Oh yea, I installed myself while dry camping in Carlsbad, CA. Inexpensive to do and rewarding. Uses same hole as current speakers. The OEM speakers are totally crappy, sound and construction. Save the $ and buy some more music [emoji3]
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #4

I had that coach and I feel for you. Worst sounding thing ever. I was gonna have a stereo place just pull it all and install something nice. But we sold it. But thats what I was "gonna" do... Good luck!
Captned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #5

Check out my thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246582
Old 04-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star dash radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRAKAllen View Post
I used speakers from Crutchfield, on advice from a previous post. They are component speakers, so both bass and treble response are incredibly increased. The brand is " Sound Ordinance" I will look for the post and place it here of pm you. I looked for the post, it is from "PDRJOHN", if you search the Newmar Owners Forum for: "component speakers" it will explain in great detail, and includes pictures.
I have done this mod and it is exponentially better, I just added a Subwoofer as well, my Bay Star ROCKS!

Good luck.

Oh yea, I installed myself while dry camping in Carlsbad, CA. Inexpensive to do and rewarding. Uses same hole as current speakers. The OEM speakers are totally crappy, sound and construction. Save the $ and buy some more music [emoji3]

This is the link, I mentioned above:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/upgr...rs-229244.html

The previous post by "Gremlin" is excellent for replacing the head unit, and the descriptions are spot on, thanks Gremlin. As for speakers specifically, I think this link is really beneficial.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRAKAllen View Post
This is the link, I mentioned above:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/upgr...rs-229244.html

The previous post by "Gremlin" is excellent for replacing the head unit, and the descriptions are spot on, thanks Gremlin. As for speakers specifically, I think this link is really beneficial.
Check out the end of my thread, where I show the speakers I installed. I put them down low instead of up high, resulting in them being closer to passenger and driver, also increased size and separates.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Check out the end of my thread, where I show the speakers I installed. I put them down low instead of up high, resulting in them being closer to passenger and driver, also increased size and separates.
You're right, when I looked at the pics I totally missed the relocation because I was so impressed with the woodworking and fine craftsmanship Nice setup Gremlin.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Speaker Upgrade to 2013 Bay Star

sightseers:
Which radio does your Bay Star have? Mine was a Dual X2DMA400. I have a 2013 Bay Star 3002. In the original form it sounded terrible. No bass, could not really hear it at all while driving down the road.

I updated my speakers to Infinity 6502ix speakers from Crutchfield. The install is a little tricky because there's not enough room inside the cabinets without cutting a hole in the bottom of the upper cabinet. This needs a little description. The cabinets across the front top of the Bay Star have a false bottom in them. This bottom allows only 1.4" of dead space at the bottom for mounting the speakers. The depth of these speakers (and most other replacement speakers) requires more space. I think that the Infinitys are 1.6" deep. This means that you have to cut two holes. A big 6.25" hole for the speaker in the outer cabinet and a smaller 3 inch hole for the magnet in the inner floor of the cabinet. The 6.25 speakers will have a small amount of clearance in the outer cabinet, but they do fit.

They sound great now.

The tradeoffs in doing this: need to make careful cuts when doing the install, the old small speakers were flush mount, the new ones stick out about 3/4", The magnets of the speakers extend slightly into the cabinets (about 1/4")

The payback: Great Sound without having to upgrade the radio. Although I am considering a subwoofer.
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Which Subwoofer

LCDRAKAllen:
Which Subwoofer did you install and where did you put it? What radio drives your Sub?

Thanks,

Jerry 2013 Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
sightseers:
Which radio does your Bay Star have? Mine was a Dual X2DMA400. I have a 2013 Bay Star 3002. In the original form it sounded terrible. No bass, could not really hear it at all while driving down the road.

I updated my speakers to Infinity 6502ix speakers from Crutchfield. The install is a little tricky because there's not enough room inside the cabinets without cutting a hole in the bottom of the upper cabinet. This needs a little description. The cabinets across the front top of the Bay Star have a false bottom in them. This bottom allows only 1.4" of dead space at the bottom for mounting the speakers. The depth of these speakers (and most other replacement speakers) requires more space. I think that the Infinitys are 1.6" deep. This means that you have to cut two holes. A big 6.25" hole for the speaker in the outer cabinet and a smaller 3 inch hole for the magnet in the inner floor of the cabinet. The 6.25 speakers will have a small amount of clearance in the outer cabinet, but they do fit.

They sound great now.

The tradeoffs in doing this: need to make careful cuts when doing the install, the old small speakers were flush mount, the new ones stick out about 3/4", The magnets of the speakers extend slightly into the cabinets (about 1/4")

The payback: Great Sound without having to upgrade the radio. Although I am considering a subwoofer.
In my rig the speakers were mounted into the ceiling not the overhead cabinet and replacing them would have been pretty easy. If they're in your cabinets you could also space them out with wood or abs to not cut into the other level.

As I said before and in my thread referenced above, I put tweeters and speakers down closer to the passenger and drive the goal being to have to have a lower overall volume and a better sound. the cabinets I built were ported with a rough speaker calculation and sound pretty damn good actually.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
LCDRAKAllen:
Which Subwoofer did you install and where did you put it? What radio drives your Sub?

Thanks,

Jerry 2013 Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
I went with a Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer, about $135.00 on Amazon. It is self powered, I connected RCA cables from the head to the sub, and powered of 12v, had to install, on/off switch. Sounds great. I have the Component speakers mounted under Dash cabinets, so the separation and clarity are great, even when in motion. I used Velcro to secure the sub to the wall near my foot. I have the Sony WXGT90BT Bluetooth head unit. It has quite a few settings for fine tuning the sound and sound-fields. It is also plenty powerful for the job.

I have to say that I am quite pleased with the upgrade
Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

I have the same kenwood in two of my cars and am very happy with it, honestly for the work of trying to place it I find the 6" focals in the box I built to be good enough on the bass that I didn't need the thumpy thumpy of the sub.

Tags
dash, radio