Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Exclamation Bay Star- emergency evasive action!

First big trip in our new 2016 Bay Star and this happens first day!

Coming out of Redding CA on I5 heading north to Oregon: a logging truck passed me and all of a sudden those big forks that hold the logs in are coming right at my side mirror. I had to steer hard right. I mean like jerk the wheel! He came over and almost took out the left front end. I swerved across the rumble stip into the emergency lane. Luckily I did not over correct, and just steered back. Scared the crap out of my wife ( me too).1 The motorhome tipped pretty good but I thought it handled the situation quite well. My race worthy driving was all luck! Hope that doesn't happen again.

Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been there! Since my experience I always watch the front steer tire of the passing truck. That's my first indicator that their coming back into my lane. And yes, it scared the h*** out of me!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

Happy you were able to avoid a potential tragedy !!

May I suggest a dash camera purchase in your future ?
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

Glad to hear you are ok and made it through the near collision. Same thing happened to us on the 101, but with some idiot pulling a TT at 70+ MPH, their speed limit would be 55 anyway in Ca. Anyway they were going so fast their trailer was swaying back an forth and almost slammed into our MH as he tried to get back into the right lane. Did the same thing you did and the MH handled well. Still don't know how we didn't hit.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Happy you were able to avoid a potential tragedy !!

May I suggest a dash camera purchase in your future ?
Been considering one for years. Everytime I look there are so many dismal reviews that I pass and keep waiting. Have a reliable one you can recommend.

Way to go Maddawg! Glad to hear the Bay Star was able to keep it upright with your help.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Great job Maddawg46! Happy that all turned out okay for you. Like Pepper2, I too watch the steer wheels of passing trucks as an early warning system as to where they are going.

I haven't yet purchased a dashcam. But keep thinking of doing so.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #7

Being a new rig, I should have been paying closer attention to my surroundings. I'll have to drive with that paranoid feeling like when I ride motorcycles.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #8

This is the "updated" version of the camera I use. I chose this company simply because I sell them where I work. I've had mine for the past couple years now, and thankfully, I haven't had to "use" it for anything more than piece of mind..

I would love to say this is the best one on the market, but it's probably not... My experience is, it does an adequate job..

EagleEye 1080P DVR Dash Cam - includes G-Sensor & 8 GB SD - Top Dawg Electronics

The way I look at it... it's a fairly cheap piece of insurance to have... not only to "catch" an accident, but to catch any flying debris that could hit the RV.. lets face it.. we are a BIG target and RV's aren't the most nimble..

Good luck !!

EDIT: One of the "features" I like about this product was their "G-Sensor" technology... it senses a collision and "locks" in the video
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=avid_dk;3223960]Been considering one for years. Everytime I look there are so many dismal reviews that I pass and keep waiting. Have a reliable one you can recommend.

Way to go Maddawg! Glad to hear the Bay Star was able to keep it upright with your help.[/QUOTE
I finally gave up om the cheap dash cameras and purchased a GoPro Hero. It's been outstanding as a dash cam plus I use it to record my many 4 wheeler trips.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

We have a dash cam in every vehicle we own. Saved our bacon. We had a hit and run with our Tahoe. The dash cam caught the accident, at fault party's face, their plate, and their boat trailer license plate.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't want to hijack the thread and I'm glad the poster made out ok. I've put off buying a cam because of all the sloppy power cords. They get all over and look terrible. Does anyone make a model that can simply be charged to last 4 or 5 hours?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

It's hijacked

Too late to stop it I guess

😜😜

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote