RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

Bay Star Fresh Water Tank

How does one put sanitizer into the fresh water tank on a 2019 Bay Star? The only access that I can see is the hose connection at the fresh water inlet.

This might be one of those “this is so obvious why didn’t I think of that” questions but, for want of an answer I’ll take my chances on that!

mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

We just purchased ave a new 2019 Bay Star 3 weeks ago, and I have the same question. Sorry I cant give you an answer, but I'm anxious to hear how others do this as well.

BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #3

You fill the whole house filter housing with a bleach solution. In fact, the process is described on page 24 of our owners manual.

If you don't have the whole house filter, you can fill your fresh water hose and do it that way.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I bought an external filter hosing so I could run the bleach through the fresh water hose also. Make sure you take the filter out of the whole house filter housing before you do this. Only need to do this when coming out of storage.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #5

https://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE
I just sanitized our fresh water tank using the method described in the above you tube presentation. The winterized tube worked well in suctioning the bleach water solution.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV2LY View Post
https://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE
I just sanitized our fresh water tank using the method described in the above you tube presentation. The winterized tube worked well in suctioning the bleach water solution.
Not sure what year or model Newmar you have but that doesn't work anymore. I wanna say they changed it in 2016 maybe, maybe earlier. In any case, the winterizing tube bypasses the fresh water tank now. You can sanitize your water lines but the bleach water won't make it to the tank. In older coaches, however, that does work from what I've heard.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Not sure what year or model Newmar you have but that doesn't work anymore. I wanna say they changed it in 2016 maybe, maybe earlier. In any case, the winterizing tube bypasses the fresh water tank now. You can sanitize your water lines but the bleach water won't make it to the tank. In older coaches, however, that does work from what I've heard.

We have a 2017 model and it worked just fine. You might just want to pour the bleach directly into your hose before connecting to the fresh water tank.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star Fresh Water Tank

2017 Bay Star 3113 here. I use the winterizing hose. The winterizing hose goes to the input side of the water pump. If the tank fill valve is set to the tank fill position water is pumped into the tank. This can also by used to fill the tank from 5 gallon water cans.

If I fill my fresh water tank and forget to put the fill valve back to the “city” position the water pump will run continuously as it pumps back into the tank.

Maybe Newmar changed this to cut down on confused owners and service calls.

Pouring anything into collapsible hoses like the zero g does not work. You need a pump to force the bleach solution into the hose.

I’ve considered buying a second “spare” pump to use when I need a portable water supply. That could also be used to pump the bleach solution through the hoses and pressure regulator for sanitizing.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #9

I've never tried to suck water into the fresh water tank via the winterizing hose. I'm going off of accounts I've heard or read that say Newmar bypassed the FW tank. Maybe it was a 2018 thing or maybe everyone is mistaken. The mysteries of RV ownership...
Old 08-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

I'll be trying that method sometime soon in my 2012. Probably do it this week. If so, I'll post whether it works.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #11

The easiest way is to pour the sanitizer into a external water filter sans the filter and then fill the tank as normal. Next option is to use a funnel to pour the sanitizer into the water hose before you connect it to the water inlet. Then fill as as normal.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just turn off the shore water, set the valve to tank fill, and turn on the water pump. You should hear the pump circulating water out of and back into the tank. If the pump reaches its shutoff pressure and stops you know it’s bypassing the tank fill.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

Like Old Toad, I do it an old school way. I put my fresh water hose 100 ft length to the water tap but leave it off. I then pour bleach the length of the hose into the hose. I then attach the open end (poured bleach end) to the rv and turn on the tap. Both bleach and water go in the tap. Then drive around and let the water slosh. Then fill the tank some more and let it sit. Empty tank and refill with fresh. It works in a pinch.

marlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water