Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Bay Star Satellite Prep???

I see satellite prep is standard on Bay Stars. I've done a bit of poking around on here and it looks like there is a metal plate on the roof and under that is a conduit to the AV cabinet. I think someone said it was a 3 inch PVC pipe.

Awesome! But we're about to order a 3113 and our AV cabinet is on the dining room slide. I guess they can route the wire to the slide. Is that so? And if so, can I use that conduit for the other stuff like a WeBoots or Wifi Ranger, i.e. is there enough room?
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My best guess based on the install in my 2017 3113 is that Newmar runs the cables for the satellite antenna as part of the standard wiring harness and does not use conduit. There are coax lines run to both AV cabinets and a power switch in the control panel over the entry door.

Your dealer should be able to get a definitive answer.
They may have changed things for 2018.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

Knightstorm is correct, the 2 coax cables on mine were not in the conduit under that cover on the roof, ithey were right beside it (and there was not much to get ahold of). The conduit itself runs to the control panel above the door. You have to take the 6 screws out of the panel to expose it. There is a string in the conduit for pulling a power cable up to the roof for those SAT antennas that require it (mine is just a King Tailgater which does not).

You could pull other cables for WeBoost and such as there would be room IMO. They would of course be going to the control panel, but I guess you could make further runs from there.

Terry
Old 07-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #4

The conduit isn't a big deal really. I'm really wondering how they get the wire, any wire, into the slide. You can't just run it down through the cabinet like they do on the models with a stationary AV cabinet. It has to move with the slide. I guess going into the control box and then through the wall to the slide might be how they do it. I'll have to give it a good looksie or ask he dealer.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are folding arms under the slide that contain cables and (in the kitchen slide) plumbing and gas lines. I'll try to get you a photo tomorrow. The cables appear to enter the the slide at the bottom of the outside wall and the come out inside the rear (outside) wall of the AV cabinet.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

How did you connect the King Tailgater to the receiver ? Did you route a cable inside the AV cabinet ?
jhoggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoggs View Post
How did you connect the King Tailgater to the receiver ? Did you route a cable inside the AV cabinet ?
The coax cables were part of the SAT pre-wire. There are actually 2 under the roof plate. One goes to bedroom TV cupboard. The other goes to the 2nd bay under the front passenger slide. It was not connected to anything. In that same bay there is a splitter with 4 (as I recall from memory) coax's on it.

One of these coax' s runs up to the coax wall plate in the A/V cabinet above the table/chairs in the slide. There is also another coax without an end on it behind this wall plate. In my case I just removed one of the coax's I determined that I did not need (process of buzzing things out with a meter and a long piece of bell wire) from that splitter in the bay and connected the coax that was coming from the roof (that had just been dangling).

So there was no need to route anything as the coax to the A/V cabinet wall plate was already run into the slide. All I had to do was figure out what was connected where and adjust those connections to fit my needs.

The Tailgater has 2 output coax's, so I was able to connect both of the cables under the roof plate. I can move my SAT receiver to the bedroom cupboard or get a 2nd receiver to get SAT on the bedroom TV if I want (but likely won't as we don't watch TV in the bedroom).
Old 07-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
There are folding arms under the slide that contain cables and (in the kitchen slide) plumbing and gas lines. I'll try to get you a photo tomorrow. The cables appear to enter the the slide at the bottom of the outside wall and the come out inside the rear (outside) wall of the AV cabinet.
Much appreciated. We just heard that our dealer will have a 3113 by the time we see him next week. It was delayed in transit (wouldn't start one morning and Ford has to look at it). We decided to go anyway since we are chomping at the bit to get our order processed. But sounds now like it will make it in time.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good for you. There's nothing like checking out the model first. I misspoke on the routing for the kitchen plumbing. You will see it is routed into the slide through the pantry cabinets and behind the refrigerator and is kept in heated space.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Good for you. There's nothing like checking out the model first. I misspoke on the routing for the kitchen plumbing. You will see it is routed into the slide through the pantry cabinets and behind the refrigerator and is kept in heated space.
We've been in a Bay Star Sport 3013 (same floor plan but a foot shorter with a queen bed...and now gone in favor of the BSS 3113). But it will be nice to see exactly what we're ordering. It's be a bit of mental juggling, applying the colors, materials, amenities we've seen in Bay Stars to the Bay Star Sport we looked at and all those we 2017's.

I've seen the space in the floor plan and what looks like space behind the pantry. I assume that's reserved for wiring/plumping.

I assumed the angled cabinet above the TV was the same but for wiring from the roof for the antenna/satellite/etc. I'm going to give it a good look next week. In any case, it is what it is. Just trying to do a little planning while we wait
Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
The coax cables were part of the SAT pre-wire. There are actually 2 under the roof plate. One goes to bedroom TV cupboard. The other goes to the 2nd bay under the front passenger slide. It was not connected to anything. In that same bay there is a splitter with 4 (as I recall from memory) coax's on it.

One of these coax' s runs up to the coax wall plate in the A/V cabinet above the table/chairs in the slide. There is also another coax without an end on it behind this wall plate. In my case I just removed one of the coax's I determined that I did not need (process of buzzing things out with a meter and a long piece of bell wire) from that splitter in the bay and connected the coax that was coming from the roof (that had just been dangling).

So there was no need to route anything as the coax to the A/V cabinet wall plate was already run into the slide. All I had to do was figure out what was connected where and adjust those connections to fit my needs.

The Tailgater has 2 output coax's, so I was able to connect both of the cables under the roof plate. I can move my SAT receiver to the bedroom cupboard or get a 2nd receiver to get SAT on the bedroom TV if I want (but likely won't as we don't watch TV in the bedroom).
Thanks for the info ! I was able to locate everything and had it working in about 30 minutes. Glad I seen your post, I had been messing around trying to figure it out since April !
jhoggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Posting Additional Satellite Connection Reference

I was asked for further clarification on this so I figured I would post back to the thread vs answer the PM so it could be referenced by others if needed.

The coax that runs to the AV cabinet on my passenger side comes up from the bottom from the 2nd bay back from the door (see Pic1).

(Note: This is just to show you, there is really no need to remove the wall plate unless you are curious): Looking at the coax wall plate in this AV cabinet (Pic2) if you remove the screws and pull it out there are 2 coax's behind it (Pic3), gray & orange (the orange on mine did not have an end on it and is not used in my case). Both these coax's come from the 2 bay back as described above.

So, looking at the coax connections in the top of bay 2 (pic4), you can see how the coax's are connected. One of the 2 orange coax's shown comes from under the roof cap in front of the front AC unit. The other orange coax is the one that goes to the AV cabinet but does not have an end on it (at least in my case it didn't).

If you want the roof satellite antenna (assuming you have one) to go to the AV cabinet wall plug then the orange cable from the roof needs to be connected to the gray cable (this is the key cable) that runs to the front AV cabinet coax wall plug.

If you want an external/portable satellite to go to this AV cabinet, then you could:
  1. Disconnect the orange coax from the gray cable and connect your portable antenna cable to the gray cable. OR
  2. Put a 4 port coax splitter in with the gray cable to the AV cabinet being the output port, and then connect the orange roof antenna and your portable antenna coax's to the splitter as inputs (I would do it this way). I would just leave your 50ft of portable coax connected & coiled up in the bay till you need to use it.

Again to clarify, this is for the front AV cabinet only. I know there is a 2nd SAT coax for the bedroom TV under the roof plate also (you may have to fish for it). AFA a connection point for a portable satellite antenna to the bedroom TV, I have not pursued that, because we don't watch TV in the bedroom.

Hope this helps further.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	169997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	169998  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	169999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	170000  

Old 07-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With my Newmar installed satellite they used the orange cable in the AV cabinet rather than the gray. Either way it leaves us a spare coax for another device that uses coax. There should be a POE to coax converter that would support a WIFI ranger over that cable.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #14

Knightstorm,

As indicated, for me, I had the SAT prep, but installed the dish myself, so in my case, the orange cable in the AV cabinet was not connected (it was behind the wall receptacle and did not even have an end on it).

The point I was trying to get across (and I know you understand this) is that folks have options as to how they want to connect these cables to the various roof SAT antennas, BatWing antenna or portable SAT antenna.

These connections can be made from the 2nd bay. The 2 cables that do run up to the AV cabinet (one gray one to the receptacle labeled Roof Mount and the orange one mentioned that was not connected) are in the same cable bundle in Bay2. You can see this in Pic4 if you enlarge it. The other orange coax that runs up to the cap'd roof access for SAT is seen in a bundle by itself.

Whatever way you choose to hook-up a portable SAT, you would want to connect the portable SAT coax (50ft or whatever) to one of the Bay2 coax cables going up to the AV cabinet (you could even put a double coax wall receptacle in and have both cables available in the AV cabinet). Then you can connect your SAT receiver up to in the AV cabinet to the receptacle/cable.

I still would offer that putting a 4 port splitter down in Bay2 would make things easier and more flexible (at little cost).

Tags
satellite