Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3972366]Here is [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/baystar-owners-potential-leak-221959.html#post2254824
a link[/URL][/B] from QT's # 3 BAY STAR Section with some information on poor support of shower base and causing leaks.
There are many more links for your BS in that section.
Didn't even think to look. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I’m not sure, but the entire shower may have to come out to access the area under the pan. If you were thinking about changing the shower control now would be the time.
I had already thought of that. I agree, they'll probably have to remove the entire surround so that would be the time to change. I even have one of those thermostatic valves sitting in a drawer. But I won't hesitate to get a high quality residential control is the service dept has done those before. They're not a Newmar dealer but they've worked with Newmar in the past on warranty issues.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #16

To close this out, we got our rig back today. They didn't have to tear out the shower. The tech told us the putty around the drain was thin and missing in places. They removed the drain and P-trap, put it all back together and sealed it up good. The drain got new putty and more of it. They leak tested the drain and it is water tight.

And they did it all through the tiny inspection port, thought the tech said he would have enlarged it if he could have found a new vent to cover it.

They also inspected the support under the shower. It looked good in the tech's opinion, much better than some of the horror stories they've seen in the past in other RV's.

Time will tell but we're headed down the road with fingers crossed
Old 01-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
That’s good news Dan. I need to check ours through that vent and make sure nothing is goin awry.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
That’s good news Dan. I need to check ours through that vent and make sure nothing is goin awry.
As long as the water tank bay under the shower isn't wet or there's not a puddle on the ground, you're probably okay. That's how we discovered the leak. But won't hurt to feel for wetness up around the drain.

Why our putty was so thin, who knows? Just one of those things.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #19

Glad it all worked out well for you guys. The red rock video is now part of the adventure

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On our 2017 Canyon Star - - it was "The Drain" actually leaking in the shower..

Mobile tech came out - changed the whole drain assembly and sealed it properly - - fixed. I believe he said it was cross threaded. Took awhile to find and had to replace a lot of insulation......

Good luck....glad you got it fixed.

Not pleased with plumbing in our motor home - - keep a close eye on other under sink connections.........we had a leaky p-trap under the kitchen sink we fixed our selves and had to tighten several connectors going into the faucets.

I would love to change out our shower faucet - - was up at Newmar and they said the whole shower surround would have to be changed out to allow more space behind the surround........I didn't have it done! LOL

g
Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
On our 2017 Canyon Star - - it was "The Drain" actually leaking in the shower..

Mobile tech came out - changed the whole drain assembly and sealed it properly - - fixed. I believe he said it was cross threaded. Took awhile to find and had to replace a lot of insulation......

Good luck....glad you got it fixed.

Not pleased with plumbing in our motor home - - keep a close eye on other under sink connections.........we had a leaky p-trap under the kitchen sink we fixed our selves and had to tighten several connectors going into the faucets.

I would love to change out our shower faucet - - was up at Newmar and they said the whole shower surround would have to be changed out to allow more space behind the surround........I didn't have it done! LOL

g
No water in the bay or on the ground this morning

We're looking to replace our shower faucet as well. I think we're just going to go cheap and get a two handle type. Tried one at camping word today. They have a good feel. They seem easy to adjust to dial in the right temp yet difficult to change just by bumping. Just have to fab some sort of cover to go behind it.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:16 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
No water in the bay or on the ground this morning

We're looking to replace our shower faucet as well. I think we're just going to go cheap and get a two handle type. Tried one at camping word today. They have a good feel. They seem easy to adjust to dial in the right temp yet difficult to change just by bumping. Just have to fab some sort of cover to go behind it.
Hi Dan - - - please keep us posted on the faucet change - - we - like you - just want a safe shower........

g
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #23

Hello, I just noticed this thread. I have a 2013 Baystar and had/have the same problem. I noticed it a few months ago and worked on it a few hours, discovering that the p trap connection did not line up with the shower drain. My neighbor came over to give me help and we worked on it for a few more hours. We took pipes loose and also disconnected the heater vent to gain more access. The plastic connection would tighten up fine,as long as the pipe wasn't connected to the drain. When we would connect to the shower drain and then try tightening the nut, it would skip a thread and get loose.
We decided to go to the local hardware store and see if anything they had might help. After searching every pvc connection, we decided to try a flexible one that was secured with stainless steel straps. Not exactly my first choice on a fix, but it dose not leak now.
Tegu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, shower