Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Bay Star Sport hood will not release

My 2014 Bay Star Sport hood will not open. The cable has always been iffy and hard too pull. Well now an this rainy AM I need to open the hood and it will not
operate. Pull as you may the hood will not release.

Any ideas??
donnickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Takes two people, one pull the handle while another bumps the hood in front of the latch. Lube the latch when you get it open.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

Using pliers crawl under the front and grab the wire coming out of the spring cable with the pliers and pull away from the lock. This should open the hood and worked for me. The mounts holding the spring cable on mine worked loose and needed to be relocated as they couldn't be retightened. Been working fine since.
conlar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

Ours is a pain as well to open.If I am alone it takes three trips from hood back to release handle to open.Poor design.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hasn’t improved on the 2018’s. I have had to pull the release handle and physically unlatch it from underneath.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The release has not changed that much since 2003 I use to be able to get my fingers through grill to grab wire to latch, your grill will not allow that.
if you can fine a wire coat hanger cut hook piece off and bend wire coat hanger and on one end make a hook , you can try make a loop of hook end through grill to hook lach wire and pull to release latch.
If not that put tarp on ground and reach up with hooked wire to release latch.
Need to lube latch and also take up slack in the loop of wire release
cable so it is tighter when pulling handle inside so the cable does not flex in its slack when pulled.
I bonded a block to fiberglass interior of cap to tie with a hooked wire around the pull cable to make cable more tighter when pulling the handle.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
My hood cable was also faulty. I finally examined where the cable was connected by the hood latch and noticed the clamp was not holding it tightly, it could slip and move back and forth. I put a few wraps of electrician tape around the end of the cable and put it back in the clamp and tightened. It no longer can slide back and forth and now when I pull the hood release it works. I also put a drop of WD40 on the wire inside the cable so it would slip easily through the tighter clamp on the cable.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my hood and many others, there is a spring under the hood, that pushes the hood open when you pull the cable. Occasionally, you need to take that spring and pull on it, stretching it out. This puts more pressure on the hood to open when you pull the cable.

Here is the spring on mine, every so often, I stretch it out, lengthening it.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Hasn’t improved on the 2018’s. I have had to pull the release handle and physically unlatch it from underneath.
I do the same, don't even bother with the cable release. This was on my problem list when I went to factory for warranty repairs. Never has worked.
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #10

Mines hard to pull. After reading the above went and lubed the locking mechanism. Not sure it help much.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #11

I just had the same problem today trying to release the hood on my '18 BSS. I had to crawl on the ground and reach up from the bottom to manually work the latch. After playing with the release pull under the dash, and inspecting the mechanism under the hood, it just seems like the inner cable is too long. With the release handle pushed all the way in, the inner cable starts to bow away from the latch. When pulling the release handle it seems that it doesn't start to move the latch until around 50% of the handle's range of movement is used up. The remaining movement doesn't pull the latch enough to release it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the slack from the cable? Bicycles, motorcycles, and other low cost conveyances have cable adjusters.... I didn't spot a cable adjuster on the cable that's under the hood. I didn't get a good look under the dash as it was dark (no flashlight).
DodgersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keeping the latch lubed helps. Another problem on the Ventana (not real grill, just made to look like one) is that there is no grab handle on the front of the heavy hood, and the "grill" is smooth plastic. Trying to grab it and lift enough to get a hand under the lower edge is hard. If it's wet, forget about it.

So I put two small pieces of velcro, just the nylon hook side, not the felt, along the bottom edge of one of the grill slats. So I can pull the t-handle, then grip the velco, even when wet, and pull the grill away from the latch. Greatly reduced the trips from handle to front.

I may look for a spring to slide over one of the snubber pins.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnickerson View Post
My 2014 Bay Star Sport hood will not open. The cable has always been iffy and hard too pull. Well now an this rainy AM I need to open the hood and it will not

operate. Pull as you may the hood will not release.

Any ideas??

I have had to open my hood by going under the front and manually operating the release by using a long screw driver to push the release mechanism. What I finally realized is the the mechanism used by NewMar pinches the cable to hold it in place. Instead of pinching the cable housing it was locking the cable itself making it almost impossible to release.
What I did was release the pinch point (pried open the slot with a screwdriver and installed a small cable clamp on the end of the cable to keep cable from slipping out of the release mechanism.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1171.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	220405