Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Bay Star Sport inverter and charger/converter replacement

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the stock Inverter and Charger/Converter in a Bay Star Sport and how much work is involved.

Mine is I think at most a 1000 watt and it's not Pure-Sine so my coffee maker doesn't work. I'm already replacing the stock 12V house batteries with 2 AGM 6v batteries (300 sized) to more than double my battery capacity but I'd really like to pt in a Magna 2000 watt pure-sine inverter and then wire it to more than just the TV's and the one outlet up front, it'd be nice if we could make coffee or run the air pump for the sofa-bed without firing the generator.

I saw that ZRobotman had this done, but wondering if anyone has done it themselves and knows what the process is?

thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gremlin,
Your coach came standard with a 45 AMP converter. No inverter. If your coach has an inverter, it was an option on the 15 model year. The inverter has a 600 WATT rating.

As to the complexity, the converter is located in the basement bay containing the shore power cord (driver side rear). The inverter is located in the first basement bay on the passenger side. I think it would be quite a challenge to combine both into one unit; along with making the new unit a larger capacity. In addition, a stock Bay Star has a 30 AMP power cord. The goal you mention will required considerable electrical knowledge. There are many components that will need to be changed and added. You could run the generator for many years and not come close to what this project might cost.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

Ours came with a 600 watt inverter, I think the Baystars did too.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Ours came with a 600 watt inverter, I think the Baystars did too.
According to Newmar's website the 2015 Baystar Sport had the same Magnum 600 ( may have been an option ). The 2016 Sport has an optional inverter but it is a different manufacturer, 1000 watts, and true sine. Glad I waited...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Mine is I think at most a 1000 watt and it's not Pure-Sine so my coffee maker doesn't work. I'm already replacing the stock 12V house batteries with 2 AGM 6v batteries (300 sized) to more than double my battery capacity
PM ZRobotman he is a super nice guy and he will give you his phone number and you can give him a call.

I would like to hear more about your 2 AGM 6v batteries. What did you purchase and do they fit in the same tray? Did you do the work yourself or pay a battery shop to do it?

Thanks!
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

So my Bay Star Sport is a 2015 2903. It does have an inverter in it already. Both the converter/charger and inverter are in the compartment just aft of the entry door, within a foot of each other. The inverter is a bloody big MagnumUnit (like 10"x18") But I'm 600watts sounds correct, and I know it's not a Pure Sine which means something won't work. I believe it should be pretty straightforward to replace these two units with one unit that does the job, but I don't know which is why I asked the question.

as

as for the batteries they are AGM's that are a little taller than the stock ones, they are over twice the capacity and plus can be run a little lower so they should more than double my capacity. I have not yet installed them, here is the link:
http://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-6ct/

they're sitting in the garage right now and I will get them in in the next few weeks.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:

as for the batteries they are AGM's that are a little taller than the stock ones, they are over twice the capacity and plus can be run a little lower so they should more than double my capacity. I have not yet installed them, here is the link:
http://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-6ct/

they're sitting in the garage right now and I will get them in in the next few weeks.
It would be great if you take a couple of photos as you proceed. I haven't spent any time trying to figure out the wiring pattern for the stock batteries but it looks a little complicated.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Okay finally got the lifelines in, it was actually super easy, I only had to make one cable to go from the negative terminal to the chassis, which wasn't long enough. The installed batteries already had ring terminals on them and simply getting the orientation correct made it super easy. Total time about ten minutes including fabbing the cable and lifting those bad boys in.

Some pictures before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2083.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	124081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	124082  

Old 04-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #9

Gremlin,

Thanks for posting the photos. Much Appreciated!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gremlin,
Nicely done. They are heavy aren't they.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nicely done. Thanks for posting the pictures. This mod is at the top of my list. Super helpful to see it in action.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #12

gremlin.... did you ever replace your inverter and/or charger?
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #13

Yes I did. Although I didn't do it, I ended up having AMSolar in Oregon take care of this for me when they were installing three panels of solar on my roof, couldn't be happier with the work, and the inverter. I can now make coffee and toast without a generator!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Yes I did. Although I didn't do it, I ended up having AMSolar in Oregon take care of this for me when they were installing three panels of solar on my roof, couldn't be happier with the work, and the inverter. I can now make coffee and toast without a generator!
Curious, the Magnum manual shows a need for higher capacity cables to the batteries when installing the 1200 watt inverter versus the 600 watt. Did they upgrade your cables or are you pulling more watts on the factory cables? My Magnum manual recommends minimum 4 AWG for the 600 Watt and 1 AWG for the 1200 Watt.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, converter, inverter, replace, replacement