Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Question Bay Star Storage Bay Door Support Adjustment

We have a 2015 Bay Star 3103. When we took delivery, we were told that the door supports (hydraulic pistons) on the bays under the slides were adjustable. This will allow you can open these doors all the way, when the slides are in. I screwed up and didn't ask how. I assumed it must be obvious, and you know what the say about assumptions. I checked the owners manual, nothing. I called Newmar, and was told no they don't adjust. But I'm not really sure the guy I talked with understood what I was talking about. The supports do look like they are adjustable, has anyone figured out how?
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

We have a 2014 BS 3103, so I'm assuming they are the same type. There are certain doors that are adjustable. If you look where the bottom of the door support attaches to the side of the bay, on some of the doors, there is a channel that the support can slide up in. This allows the door to go up higher. The support must be returned to the bottom position for the door to close. I didn't find this process to be smooth, and sometimes required effort to get the support to return to the lower position.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

anyone know how to adjust these to be smooth at all? I've gotten one or two of them up, but then can't get them down. I've tried loosening up the bolts on one but it didn't seem to help much. Should I make them looser?

We should probably post up a photo of these to help everyone know what we're talking about but I'm no where near my coach right now.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
anyone know how to adjust these to be smooth at all? I've gotten one or two of them up, but then can't get them down. I've tried loosening up the bolts on one but it didn't seem to help much. Should I make them looser?

We should probably post up a photo of these to help everyone know what we're talking about but I'm no where near my coach right now.
It's not an adjustment as the problem is with the design. There is always pressure on the support rod, even if it's just the weight of the door. The pressure, is what's causing the binding. But, without that pressure and binding, you wouldn't be able to raise it to the higher position and have it stay there.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #5

I agree it is a terrible design. Most of my doors on the drivers side have these and unless your planning to be in that bay for a while then it really is not worth it. A better sliding unit would fix it. I have often thought of trying to pull it apart and put a metal washer on each sided of the nylon ones to see if that would improve the operation.

The side opening doors where you can't open a door vertically are a big improvement. I just don't know what took them so long.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
It's not an adjustment as the problem is with the design. There is always pressure on the support rod, even if it's just the weight of the door. The pressure, is what's causing the binding. But, without that pressure and binding, you wouldn't be able to raise it to the higher position and have it stay there.
I got one of them to go up once by releasing the pressure by pulling up slightly on it, that's kind of what I would expect to work, but it didn't work putting it down, I think I ended up having to disconnect the pneumatic rod to take the pressure of to put it down, it was seriously screwy. I like the idea of maybe trying metal washers in there, but I don't know that would help because the plastic ones haven't exactly worn out yet.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Figured out how to make them work like the designer intended (although he never really got out to production to see if it would work...) Most of the problem lies in the fact that there is so much side slop and the bolt gets cocked in the track. Anyway, just pull the 6 screws holding the adjustable mount (bottom end), remove and discard the nylon washers and replace with fender washers (I used stainless), tighten the nut till there isn't much slop in the assembly but still slides easily the length of the track, then lube with some light oil (WD 40), then reinstall the mount. Now, if you lift the hatch, it comes up easily. All you have to do then to lock it in one of the three positions is put a little pressure on the support towards the notches and it will easily slide into your selection. To lower, just lift the hatch and the bolt will drop back into the slide and return to the bottom. Works MUCH better than the stock arrangement as the rigid washers don't let the bolt get cattywampus in the slot.

lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used WD 40.

On the basement doors that have the adjustable hinge, I sprayed them with Water Dispersant #40, or (WD40) to the layman. Do this and open and close the door several times and you will be AMAZED!

The only door I have problems with is the last "angled" door on the "curb" side. It has a plastic grommet vice the metal washer.

Hope that helps. I didn't read thoroughly, all of the threads, so if I am repeating someone, I guess this is testimony!

Ciao,
Safe Travels
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

lostinfla,

Glad to see it working. I will have to give that a try. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
lostinfla,

Glad to see it working. I will have to give that a try. Thanks.
I tried to keep the nylon washer and add steel, but you will run out of thread on the stud. The extra weight of the steel washers also helps it move back into the vertical slot when you lift the hatch to return it to the lower position to close. BTW, I used two different fender washers. The outside one is the largest I could find with the correct hole size and the inside one is a little smaller overall diameter to fit in the recessed slot of the bracket.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

Bay Star Storage Bay Door Support Adjustment

Thanks for all the response's. I really appreciate the photo, looks like you've figured it out. To bad Newmar doesn't have better manuals or customer support. When I talked with to customer support, I was told the hydraulic support arms, on the bay under the slides, aren't meant to be adjustable. Didn't know what the tracks were for. Probably the same guy that over tighten and stripped all of our sink drains.
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If you're ever in LA, stop by Tom Lindstrom RV and have them show you The guy who did my pre-delivery was a master of it. Sadly, though, I still could never get the hang of it, and I've given up on it now.

I will try this idea of replacing the washers, thanks for the tip.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to remember the inner (hole) diameter of those washers would you? This way I could just just pick up parts without having to disassemble it first...
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Figured out how to make them work like the designer intended (although he never really got out to production to see if it would work...) Most of the problem lies in the fact that there is so much side slop and the bolt gets cocked in the track. Anyway, just pull the 6 screws holding the adjustable mount (bottom end), remove and discard the nylon washers and replace with fender washers (I used stainless), tighten the nut till there isn't much slop in the assembly but still slides easily the length of the track, then lube with some light oil (WD 40), then reinstall the mount. Now, if you lift the hatch, it comes up easily. All you have to do then to lock it in one of the three positions is put a little pressure on the support towards the notches and it will easily slide into your selection. To lower, just lift the hatch and the bolt will drop back into the slide and return to the bottom. Works MUCH better than the stock arrangement as the rigid washers don't let the bolt get cattywampus in the slot.

Have followed this procedure for years on all my coach's just have to be easy going in moving arm into selected slot to lock up or to release to close.
Some lube over time does help and the steel washers will work better than the plastic as they wear out over time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #14

I believe the added weight of the washers makes it more prone to fall into the main slot and release when you lift the hatch, which is a great feature by itself. The key is to get the retaining nut adjusted with just the right tension. Enough to slide easily without having side slop. Another thing I've found with any nylon/plastic washers and bushings: Sometimes adding oil makes things worse.

Tags
door, storage