Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #1

Question Bay Star winshield cracked

Almost made it home. A small car threw a rock right into my windshield on hwy 95 outside of Fallon. A quarter inch lower and it would have hit the seal. Darn! It moved about 3 inches in the next few hours amd stopped. But i guess i better get it replaced. Guess there are places that come right out to your house and do it. Anything i need to know to watch for? Better call insurance first thing. Want to do some more traveling soon.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 AM   #2

Call insurance company first and talk to them. Some states have "no deductible" laws for windshield replacement. Also some insurance companies will have preferred repair companies they recommend. By taking it to their recommended company it can afford you with additional benefits like guarantees and direct insurance to repair facility company payments. But each insurance company is different.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #3

Had my windshield crack when doing an auto level about a year ago. Used the local Binswanger glass affiliate. They came to my house measured and ordered the replacement from the same folks who makes just about all of them. When it came in they brought 5 guy’s to put it in. Did a great job. Here in SC zero deductible for glass.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Had mine replaced last year. Insurance company arranged to have the service done on site; could not have been easier.

Be aware however, that when the wiper arms are removed they must be put back on with great care. Most MH wiper arms can only be removed/replaced once as the splines become loose and can strip out. Best to be there and to oversee the process.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #5

I removed both wiper arms last summer to replace the rubber boots on the stems...I never had any problems reinstalling the arms and no problems since. I was not aware that there is an issue. When Newmar sold me the rubber boots for the stems they did not warn me of any problems to be aware of when removing the wiper arms.
I would like to know more about this potential problem for future reference.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
It moved about 3 inches in the next few hours and stopped. But i guess i better get it replaced.
Depending on where the crack is, it can be repaired by resin injection if it’s less than 6”. Our crack is on the passenger side, but >6”, so we’re getting a new windshield.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Madawg46"......Call your insurance and then check for someone who specifically does windshields. We have a local guy, does Lindstrom's RV's, that shoes up with a flatbed truck. He backs up to your windshield and changes while standing on the flatbed.

I always try to make the job easier for a repair shop by doing some prep. I think they do a better job when the job is prepped for them. Previously, when I had one replaced on my Diplomat, I removed both wiper arms and swung one of the mirrors back that was in the way.

If you can, try to have it done and then let it sit for 24 hours before moving.

The first time I chipped my windshield on my 2005 Diplomat, about two months after we bought it new, I decided to check with my insurance. Some states make it mandatory that windshields be replaced with no deductible, but not California. I did find out that a windshield is covered under your Comprehensive portion of your insurance. I lowered the deductible on JUST my Comprehensive to $100.00 deductible. Lowering the comprehensive was an additional $40.00 a year. I thought that it was worth it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Polyian - The wiper arms come without splines (little gear teeth). The teeth are cut it when you torque the nut onto the drive shaft. If the teeth are not placed in perfect alignment, when you torque the nut a second time you can widen the spaces and the teeth will eventually strip out. According to Newmar and the manufacturer of the arms they are meant to be removed and replaced twice at the most.

In my case, the installer did not have them properly lined up and they stripped out the first time I turned the wipers on High after the windshield replacement. New arms cost about $70 each.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:35 PM   #9

Wiper arms

Good to know about the wiper arms.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #10

I know it’s been a few years since this post was written but I wanted to share our recent experience. We have a 2017 Baystar 3401. While traveling this Fall in Canada, a semi threw up a small rock that made a 1/2” chip at eye level on the driver side windshield. It was hardly noticeable, but I didn’t want it to get worse so I filed a claim with Allstate here in California for a resin infusion. A rep from Safelite came and assured me that he could repair it. His effort caused it to crack linear 18” and he said afterwards that it sometimes happens. If I would have known that, I would have left it. So I now am left paying a $1,000 deductible. I wished now I would have chosen a lower deductible. If you live in Cally, please lower your deductible so you don’t make my mistake of saving a few bucks.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV2LY View Post
………So I now am left paying a $1,000 deductible. I wished now I would have chosen a lower deductible. If you live in Cally, please lower your deductible so you don’t make my mistake of saving a few bucks.
JV….. many states mandate that windshield glass be covered with no deductible. For this reason, most carriers offer no deductible glass coverage as a low cost option if you happen to be resident in a state that does not mandate same. Quite literally, the no deductible cover might cost an additional $25 to $50 per year. Check into that with your insurance person.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote