Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #1

Baystar Equalizer Jacks Not retracting

I am posting this as information to help others who are suddenly stuck with Equalizer jacks that will not retract.

My jacks wouldn't retract but would raise the coach fine. I called the Equalizer Emergency line and within 5 minutes I received a call back. The quick solution is to reverse the two large white wires on the end of the Motor and Reverse the Green and Blue wires on the solenoid. Now the All retract button will work.
...but they won't deploy until you put the wires back to their original positions. (Tip: Take photos of the correct wire placement before moving them)

Next buy a new Contactor (Solenoid) #2994 from Equalizer for about $68.

Next fabricate a weather shield to protect the solenoid, it is located right behind the front grill on the pump motor. The terminals on mine were badly corroded.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Pictures by any chance? Love to protect the solenoid before it becomes a problem.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Pictures by any chance? Love to protect the solenoid before it becomes a problem.

Bill

Sorry I don't have a way to post pics....but there is another thread with a Canyon Star that had the same problem and posted pics...but it did not include this fix I was given
Old 03-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

I just continue to be amazed at how many electrical components are exposed to the elements with no (or minimal) protection.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Sorry I don't have a way to post pics....but there is another thread with a Canyon Star that had the same problem and posted pics...but it did not include this fix I was given

Thanks!
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
I am posting this as information to help others who are suddenly stuck with Equalizer jacks that will not retract.

My jacks wouldn't retract but would raise the coach fine. I called the Equalizer Emergency line and within 5 minutes I received a call back. The quick solution is to reverse the two large white wires on the end of the Motor and Reverse the Green and Blue wires on the solenoid. Now the All retract button will work.
...but they won't deploy until you put the wires back to their original positions. (Tip: Take photos of the correct wire placement before moving them)

Next buy a new Contactor (Solenoid) #2994 from Equalizer for about $68.

Next fabricate a weather shield to protect the solenoid, it is located right behind the front grill on the pump motor. The terminals on mine were badly corroded.

My Equalizer jacks would not go down when we pulled into our RV Resort for three months. I called a tech company that services these Palm Desert parks. The tech tested everything out and isolated the problem as the contactor. The part arrived( he bought it from Equalizer). He charged $160 for the part, and put it on. Everything worked well.
The tough part is that the old contactor was full of water. 8 months out of warranty on my 2017 Baystar with 12,000 miles. It is in storage at least half the year. The part that was taken off AND full of water had zero rubber gasket separating the halves and the screws on the bottom has zero rubber gasket washers on them. The new replacement part had thick rubber gaskets and washers. New product much better quality. IT WAS A NEW BRAND, much better than the one they took off. I suspect that you and I are not the only ones with this problem , and they changed vendors. I took great pictures of the differences in the parts, sent them to Newmar
who sent them to Equalizer. They refused to cover the bad part ( 8 months out of warranty) BUT it was full of water. I must give Newmar an atta boy here. They covered the $160 labor charges. They are better than their supplier. Great customer service FROM NEWMAR. I just wish they would have pushed Equalizer harder. New model contactor, full of water, you know. Thanks to Steve Mosier, no thanks to Equalizer.
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #7

I have a couple of pics of the wiring on the Contactor. I just ordered a new one from Equalizer for $68 plus $40 for UPS 3 day shipping.
One pic shows the two white wires to reverse and the other picture show the smaller terminals on the contactor...reverse the green and blue.

This will use the good side of the contactor to retract the jacks.

Normally the center of the motor has a silver tape disc to keep dust out. I had removed it to try operating the motor with my portable drill as instructed in my owners manual. This did not work as apparently my drill does no spin the required 2000 or more RPM. I replaced the silver tape with a piece of underbelly tape that I had on hand.
Also, I put a new yellow connector on the green wire as the original was badly corroded. So your green wire connector will look different, similar to the other 2 on the blue and black wires, 90 degree connectors.

I hope this info bails someone out with jacks stuck down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5357.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	238488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5356.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	238489  

Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the thread Polyian I have placed in the big info link sticky to help others, as you say.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Bay Star was built in Nov, 2011 and had the early model Equalizers which had a plastic shear pin connecting the motor to the pump. About a year later the shear pin broke with the jacks extended 2 to 3 inches. Newmar wanted testing and I furnished all the voltage and amp numbers they wanted. Equalizer right away knew what the problem was and Newmar required a mobile repair service to replace the whole unit. The service man told me that both Newmar and Equalizer were the best he ever dealt with.

I was fortunate because the inside controller can manually operate each jack singly not as pairs. I boondock and and only a few times have I ever been on a flat and level surface. There looks to be 2 solenoids on the Equalizer pump.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	238593
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
There looks to be 2 solenoids on the Equalizer pump.
Attachment 238593

The Contactor part #2994 has two sides and operates as a double solenoid. Activation from the control board is sent through either the green or blue wire and depending on the retract or extend command... the motor will spin either clockwise or counter clockwise. Equalizer has a troubleshooting document on their web site explaining the function.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it make sense to use dielectric grease on the connections?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Does it make sense to use dielectric grease on the connections?
Can’t hurt, any protection is better than none
Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I use this, five years no problems: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05046-Bat.../dp/B000CIPUNC
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Baystar Equalizer Jacks Not retracting

I just checked mine and it was sprayed with something like that already. If the factory didn’t do it than my dealer did. I’ll keep an eye on it and respray as needed.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks