Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

BayStar vs Canyon Star vs Vista LX

Ok..............after long last I have a decision on a few RVs. I drove a used 2016 3755 Canyon Star with 4700 miles on it....nice coach and they want $130K for it. I also drove and like a 2017 new Baystar 3403. Nice coach and selling for $112K, full warranty etc. Other than a 26000 lb chassis vs the 22000 lb chassis in the Bay star, can anyone give me reason to purchase the used Canyon Star over the new Bay Star and does the price sound out of line? Also drove and liked a new 2017 Winnebago Vista 35LX very nicely equipped for $119K. All 3 coaches have 1 1/2 baths which is nice and similarly equipped. Let me know your thoughts as I like all of them and trying to eliminate 2 of them. Thanks
Marinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

IMHO, Canyon Star is nicer than the Bay Star and in theory, being slightly used it should have some of the initial bugs worked out. I would think the Newmar quality better than Winnebago at that price point.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I would compare BS & the CS side by side... Compare finishes inside and see if you notice a big difference and don't forget about size 34 vs 37 3 feet doesn't sound like a lot but it is... Check out the storage in the basements and which floor plan works best for you...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #4

We love our Baystar 3401. That said, I think the Canyon Star has a better looking exterior, and I think the 26K chassis would be an advantage with a considerably greater CCC, and maybe better handling overall. One thing though, does the 2016 have the 6 speed tranny? Also, we had looked at the Winnie Vista LX and liked it okay, but seem to remember the interior cabinetry etc. wasn't really close to the Newmar level of build quality. As others have said, make sure which ever layout you choose works well for you.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #5

Check tow capacity and carrying capacity on all 3 units. Also check storage for what you want to take along. Don't assume the heavier chassis will be higher ccc as it may have a heavier house due to some of the "features"...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
BayStar vs Canyon Star vs Vista LX

To make a fair comparison CS vs BS first off, I recently sold my 2016 CS with 7k miles on it for $125k, it was fully loaded. You need to look at options like, fiberglass roof, upgraded generator 5k vs 7k, outside TV, refrigerator option, 26k chassis standard on the CS, solid surface flooring from front to rear, overhead front TV, surround sound sys, heat pumps on A/C , dual pain glass windows, solid wood cabinet faces vs vinyl wrapped particle board. Floor plan etc almost all of the above are options on both. So to really compare you need to dig deeper in my opinion. The 26k chassis is not an option on the BS and others ordering new BS are paying as high as $3500 to upgrade from 22k to 24 K chassis.In my somewhat biased opinion, the Canyon Star is a substantial upgrade and if your within $10k or less why not go CS if you like the floor plan and options. I'm sure this last comment will open up a fire storm of opinions.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

"don't forget about size 34 vs 37 3 feet doesn't sound like a lot but it is.."

x2

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

If you plan on much mountain driving I would be sure to get a six speed transmission. In the last month I have gone over the Rockies twice. In tow/haul mode it's like having a Jake brake.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #9

We were sold on the Bay Star, a wonderful MH, and test drove several. As we priced and compared we found that the Canyon Star offered more upgrades, amenities and options that would make our first RV experience more enjoyable. We ordered ours fully optioned like Stuart W and with several special orders, but also opted for the washer/dryer, dish washer, and central vac which are not offered as options on the Bay Star. Ours is the 3513 floor plan and and after options and at delivery our ccc was +/- 4100lbs. In September at the Hoots Rally we had a four corner weight done and are still just -24k on the 26k lb. chassis and balanced good. Some more $$$ but happy wife. Best of luck with your search.

Harold & Becky
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

OK...........pulled the trigger after a few years of researching. Chose the 2016 Canyon Star 3755 with 4700 miles on it but in "new" condition! We love it as this is our first coach and we're excited to learn all we can and making our maiden voyage. The dealer has a few adjustments to make and adding a washer/dryer stack. I am looking into whats needed to tow our 4 door wrangler jeep. Stay tuned and any advice much appreciated! Thanks for all your help in answering my many questions........
Marinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on the new Canyon Star.

Welcome to the Newmar family.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #12

Congrats you'll love the Canyon Star, have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #13

Congratulations and enjoy

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on the Canyon Star, 25K Miles and currently on the road loving every minute.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote