Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be wary

When we bought our 2014 MA the previous owner had me take it out for a spin so he could show me a few things as I had not driven a large DP before. My DW was with us so we both heard the same thing. In this coach there is rocker switch on the drivers left console that operates the engine brake. There are three positions. On-high, on-low and off. He told us to leave in the off positions always. When we needed to stop, activate the switch along with the brake pedal. Seemed very odd to me but what the heck do I know, right?

Today I was having a couple recalls taken care, one of which was the one for the throttle sensor, the tech and I got to talking about the engine break. He had never heard of a switch to turn an engine brake on and off. He said leave it on. So on the way home I did leave it on. I just want to it was so much more comfortable not having to worry about reaching for the switch and possibly taking eyes from the road during a braking situation. Just goes to show the BS floating around out there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
When we bought our 2014 MA the previous owner had me take it out for a spin so he could show me a few things as I had not driven a large DP before. My DW was with us so we both heard the same thing. In this coach there is rocker switch on the drivers left console that operates the engine brake. There are three positions. On-high, on-low and off. He told us to leave in the off positions always. When we needed to stop, activate the switch along with the brake pedal. Seemed very odd to me but what the heck do I know, right?

Today I was having a couple recalls taken care, one of which was the one for the throttle sensor, the tech and I got to talking about the engine break. He had never heard of a switch to turn an engine brake on and off. He said leave it on. So on the way home I did leave it on. I just want to it was so much more comfortable not having to worry about reaching for the switch and possibly taking eyes from the road during a braking situation. Just goes to show the BS floating around out there.

I hardly use the service brakes, love engine braking.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

What you have with the two position switch , is a true compression brake.
If I had one it would be on most of the time ( low ) there is a possibility during some driving conditions ( cruise control on rolling hills ) where the engine brake will activate when you don't want or need it. My exhaust brake does this and it shuts down the cruise , making me turn the brake off and re-set the cruise.
You'll get used to your coach as you drive.
Some owners feel that the engine and exhaust brakes harm the automatic transmission and don't use it ; if the brake harmed the transmission they would never install it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - It's just one of those things where you will hear arguments on both sides and both sides are right. It's personal preference. If you run with the engine brake on just remember not to do so in rain or other slick conditions. Things like a metal bridge deck can have you looking at your tail faster than you can imagine. BTW - I'm in the camp of those who don't run it all the time. We have a three position unit and it's second nature to turn it on without needing to look.

Tom
Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In addition, I had expressed concern that it seemed my coach aired down quickly. About 5 hours. Many in this forum thought I had a leak. While I was having one of the recalls done, the tech heard an air leak. Just a tube that was not not pressed in completely. It’s been about 7 hours now and still holding.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #6

It does get tiresome (weary) trying to wade thru the BS but one does need to be cautious (wary) about what to believe .....most of the time I just nod, grin and then research the info in question
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"TWINCAMSAM".....A little history. Some coaches have exhaust brakes and some have engine brakes. Many older coaches with either exhaust or engine brake, would shut off the cruise control if you turned the brake switch on. My Monaco did this. Unfortunately, you had to reach down and turn it on if needed.

The Cummins computer also lets you set up the engine brake in different ways, called "latching". Some set theirs so that while driving, if they tap the brakes the engine brake engages and stays engaged. Some make theirs so the engine brake disengages when they step on the brake, but disengages when you let off. There are three ways to set it.....just a computer change.

Back to using the brake. On my Dutch Star, I love the fact that I can have my engine brake switch on while my cruise control is on. On a downhill, if the coach picks up more than 6 miles an hour, the engine brake comes on to bring the speed down. Personally, I believe the engine brake switch should be on anytime you're doing above 45 mph and especially on the interstate. The engine brake is there to give you the additional stopping power you need in an emergency. Hunting for the switch in a panic stop or emergency lane maneuver could increase your stopping distance and be the different between a crash and stopping short of crashing.

As I stated, my coach picks up 6 mph before my engine brake engages. I found recently that this is also adjustable. when I complained about it. You can have a computer change done where they reduce that to 2 mph. That means rather than descending a grade at 55 mph and the speed increasing to 61 mph, before the engine brake came on, it would only exceed the set speed by 2-3 mph before the brake engages. This was much more acceptable.

Driving around town......many feel that they want to do everything possible to save their coach brakes, so they use the engine/exhaust brake ALL the time, including in town. This is not a good idea. First, at low speeds in town (above 15 mph where the engine/exhaust brakes disengage) you'll have some herky jerky stops from the brake engaging. Second, if you rarely and LIGHTLY use your coach brakes, you tend to glaze the drums and rotors. Once they glaze, they tend to start squealing a lot. The foot brakes need a good hard application to keep them from glazing. Leave the engine/exhaust brake off in town.

Lastly, if you're on a grade and the "low" engine brake position isn't cutting it, switch to "high". As you drive some of the same grades and get use to how your coach performs, you'll know if low or high is needed as you hit a grade. Mine is always in low until I need more braking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
You will want to turn off the engine or exhaust brake in residential areas (especially where "No Engine Brakes Allowed" is posted. That reduces exhaust noise a bit and makes the local constabulary happy.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While at the Spartan class they said don't try to save the brakes, the disk and rum brakes will last 200.000 to 300,000 miles. We will never wear them out. They also said if you get a blow out and take your foot off the accelerator it will slow you down which is the opposite of what you should do. I only use mine on steep inclines. Everyone picks their own path.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
They also said if you get a blow out and take your foot off the accelerator it will slow you down which is the opposite of what you should do. I only use mine on steep inclines.
That what I do. On long down grades, breaks can overheat and fade.

We were in Death Valley and I was asking about the road that we were taking leaving. He said his brakes were fading by the time he go to the bottom. I asked if he used his engine brake. What that? The top button on the left. Really!

We went and looked and it was the same as ours. I suggested he look at his owners manual.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
........He had never heard of a switch to turn an engine brake on and off. He said leave it on..........not having to worry about reaching for the switch and possibly taking eyes from the road during a braking situation. Just goes to show the BS floating around out there.....

It’s not BS at all, Sam, just a different way of doing things. There are many factors that support leaving the switch off— as have been mentioned already. That is my preference as well. My only point in mentioning it again is to point out one thing that may help you.
I don’t know if your coach is the same, but in my ‘02 DS every critical operational switch or control in a particular area has its own unique feature. There is no need to look at all, you can easily and correctly identify each control by touch and location. My exhaust brake switch is also a rocker, like yours, and there is no other switch under my left hand with that shape and size. This is the same design standard used in large aircraft, where the design criteria consider that there may be times of zero visibility.
Take a look at your panels and you’ll see what I mean.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Be weary

I should preface that I do not know the following to be correct, I do know that my motorhome slows down with out making any loud noise.

I read the following for clarification, maybe it will clear things up. We have exhaust brakes? not Jake Brakes?, Jake Brakes are the noise makers.
http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...exhaust-brake/
A Jake break releases engine compression, causing the noise
A exhaust brake blocks off the exhaust from leaving the engine.
Ok just looked at the switch and it says engine brake, so I obviously need clarification
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3647.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	215155  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #13

Kind of scary to think people driving these big buses don't know how things work.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I should preface that I do not know the following to be correct, I do know that my motorhome slows down with out making any loud noise.

I read the following for clarification, maybe it will clear things up. We have exhaust brakes? not Jake Brakes?, Jake Brakes are the noise makers.
Difference Between Jake Brake and Exhaust Brake | Difference Between
A Jake break releases engine compression, causing the noise
A exhaust brake blocks off the exhaust from leaving the engine.
Ok just looked at the switch and it says engine brake, so I obviously need clarification
We have an engine brake (also called a Jake brake). We use horse power to slow down by opening and closing valves. Engine brake is a lot better than exhaust brake. I like that ours has 3 stage and separate on off switch.