Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #1

Bed room slide overnight boondocking

I am going to try some overnight stops next week at Walmart’s and Cabelas etc.

I have read all the proper etiquette and rules you are supposed to do when doing an overnight but it would helpful to extend the bedroom slide out a couple of feet so I don’t have to crawl over the bed to use the back bathroom for a shower etc.

Other than common sense like ask permission, use generator to power the slide and AGS setup and enabled, are there any issues I am not thinking about? I am assuming it’s safe to extend a few feet and retract from that point.

That is assuming there is plenty of room. I read the horror stories about extending a slide in a big rig parking lot at a truck stop so won’t be stopping there.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

I’ve put my slide out rest areas and truck stops before. I generally make sure that the side with the slide coming out is oriented towards a non traffic area, like grass or something. Also I wouldn’t just partially extend the slide. It only fully seals if it is all the way in or all the way out.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We try to park with the door side of the coach against the curb and then just put those two door side slides out. Most places won't care if your not blocking there lot. I'm always worried about other vehicles running into me so try to stay way out of the way. Good Luck!
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If boondocking at a store, I like to extend the slide over an area like a parking lot landscape divider. This way, no one can strike the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
On our trip here to Nappanee, we stayed at two Cabela's parking lots with no issues. We located the coach in a parking slot adjacent to an area where the bedroom slide (the only one we opened) did not extend over a parking lane. Worked fine.

One tip for Cabela's RV parking lots; don't park in the lane adjacent to the water/sewer station. People were pulling through next to the coach to get water or dump their tanks and Cabela's parking lanes are VERY narrow. Some of the folks using the facilities were pulling horse trainers and big 5th wheels...and, they didn't seem very concerned about how close they got to your coach. After the second episode, we moved to the other side of the lot. It wasn't as good a location but, at least, we didn't have to worry about losing the side of our coach!

Oh, and expect rigs to continue to arrive until about midnight. Didn't cause us a problem but we were surprised to see several more units there in the morning than we saw when we went to bed at about 10:00 pm.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with those above. We like to park with passenger side up against green area. We take out passenger slides and we’re good.

Walmart’s are great for one night stay, while driving through. Though many seem to disallow RV parking now.

We were near Phoenix at a Walmart earlier this year, and saw a mh parked in the middle of the lot with all four slides out and orange cones set up around the coach. That kind of thing will put an end to overnight rv parking.

Tags
boondocking, slide