Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Bed slide won't come out

Parked today, leveled and put the FWS out - no problem. The smaller bedroom slide retracted the locks as if to go out but then just clicked and would not go out. We can get along with it this way for awhile but does anyone know where I should check first? thanks - mark

08 Dutch Star, Spartan, 4354 model.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If water has gotten into the slide locks, located in threads for slides in QT's 1 & 2 you may have to remove and clean operating contacts of slide lock control
Some people have lightly tapped the unit and slide operated, may work for a while but maintenance will win out.
There is a new seal to block water entry not sure its mention in threads.
If it happens to be this slide could present another problem, check the pictures, threads in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

You could also switch wires from front slide to the rear slide and see if the control box is the problem. Take the wires from bedroom slide and connect them to front slide and then see if the slide comes out. Also sometimes the wires on the control box come loss and see if my pushing them in if that gets your slide moving.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks guys, I don't have a front slide but I did check the connections for tightness. We have had a lot of rain so after I get to FL for the extended stay, I'll check for the area that 007 referred to. thanks for getting back to me so quick. mark
Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #5

My understanding of the slides are, if they are not all the way in or all the way out, they aren't completely sealed. If you are parked in the rain you could get the inside wet. It would be good if you could move it one way or the other.
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #6

If this slide is like ours, the slide mechanism is on the outside mounted above the tag.
We had a similar problem recently - the locks would operate but the slide would not move. After a trip to Newmar, they replaced the motor assembly. The old motor assembly was corroded due to exposure to the elements (like rain) and spray from the tire. To me this is poor design and will fail on every coach at some time, but it only took 4 years on our DSDP. The repair is only about $1500 at the factory.
This is not a fix I would try my self so the only choice is to pay for replacement. BTW the motor assembly cost about $600 alone.

kw
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Thanks for the info, our bed slide is set up differently. Under the bed (lift up and take out panels) you have complete access to the motor and drive screw that moves the slide in and out. The upper slide locks retract and then the screw turns and out it goes. this is a 08 rig and a very small slide moving only the headboard and overhead cabinets so I guess they can use a smaller mechanism. As a follow up, the next morning after sitting all night, the slide mechanism worked normally. I feel there is some condensation going on somewhere that caused this but I’ll pull the slide ou lockt covers and see if there is any thing I can do regarding switches. I think after sitting in the rain for 2 weeks, something got cranky! thanks all, mark

Tags
slide