Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Angry Bedroom Slide motor/gearbox

I have a 2003 Kountry Star 3651

My problem at the moment is the Bedroom slide.
I tried to pass a coax cable in the lower corner and open the slide all the way out.
the gear box stated clicking and I pushed to switch shutting it off.
When I went for the brake recall....
The motor runs, Just a clicking sound from the gearbox, the slide does not move.

I can move the slide in and out using an 1 1/2 inch wrench.
I have it all the way (not hard against the seal yet, just enough to seal in case it rains)
It never rains in sunny Florida... but in case...
The bed won't go up for access if I go all the way in, hits the draws, I would have to pull our at least four draws to lift and lower the bed.
I can do that if I have to... Just have to walk around them until parts arrive...
I am trying to get the motor/gearbox out to check the gears

Can anyone tell me how to get it out??
I have the transtorque loose (loosen/tighten backwards and loosen again)
done this several times.
I have the two colletts loose. End one off.
I have been unable to move the shaft more than 1/4 inch prying with anything I can get in there.

Does anyone know how long the shaft is on a #24808 'B' motor/gearbox??
Does all the weight of the slide have to be off the cog wheel ???
Does the cog wheel have a set screw in it ? I haven't been able to find one.
Does the gearbox shaft go all the way through the cog wheel?

I am full timing - so thought that I could do this rather simple repair/swap once I got it out...
The .pdf file is not very helpful... all I could get out of it was the transtorque bushing.

Not sure if this 'B' motor has a replacement gear set or not yet.
I sent several e-mails to Newmar and no response...
I am going to call them today if I can't make any progress.
I held off calling them until I found out what was broken to see if the parts are available.

Any help would be gratly appreciated...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look at this link shows the bedroom slide information on my 03 KS.
MAY need a picture if yours is different.
You will have to move slide out so you can lift bed to observe.
May have the nylon wheel guide loose on sq-d guide rail.
Your slide comes out other side but has same flat floor as mine, thats how mine is set up under bed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bedroom slide motor/gearbox removal

My bedroom slide is the same as yours.
Motor will run, but loud click/clank from the gear box.
Rollers look fine. I can move it in and out with a wrench on the square coupling very easily. Problem is in the gearbox.
I just want to remove the motor/gearbox so I can take it apart and check the gears. The gear box shaft will not move out of the 'Transtorque Bushing' with all the persuasion I can muster under the bed.
I have the slide all the way in with the locks on, the rollers are free wheeling, but the motor will not slide out.
If I put the slide out, you don't have access to the motor.
If I knew exactly how long that shaft was, I might be able to determine what else has to be removed/blocked etc. to get it out.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Walt in this PDF they have their different slide setups haven't looked through it for your pacific slide as yet but may help you.
Sounds like the cog wheel is slipping on rail either dropped down or rail has lifted some how.
Have you checked to make sure something isn't jammed under the bed base.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi roadwalt,
You are on the right path. I can't tell you how to get the motor out, I've only done it once and forgot how I did it, sorry. I do remember the problem was a bearing on the mating shaft to the motor (not the motor shaft or gear. The bearing had worn and had a bit of slop in it. That was enough to stop the slide from working and make a clicking sound.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bedroom slide motor/gearbox removal

Called Newmar again today, finally got through, over 25 minutes on hold, but the technician said... That the "Transtorque Bushing" has several collets inside of it that all get locked together with the "Nut" that they talk about in the article (.pdf) and they get stuck together over the years and won't release. He said that you have to beat on the bushing with a hammer to jar them loose to remove there grip on the shaft.
Well I have been beating on it for some time, and It won't let go.
I know they said NO lubricants on any of the assembly but I have started soaking it with WD40 and will continue to do so until it breaks loose. I may have gaulded (screwed up) the shaft with those internal collets prying on it for two days. Didn't want the smell of WD40 but I can see no other solution. Heating the bushing with a torch is not a valid option. I like the coach too much to burn it up...
I wish the .pdf showed just what was in that 'Transtorque Bushing' before I had started...
Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Walt, not sure you can get any info from this link about bushing, may have something.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Correction to post #5. It was a bushing that had a bit of slop, not a bearing.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I had to R&R the shaft on our BR slide earlier this year and have a couple of pictures that may help.

Motor:

Motor and Shaft with Trantorque bushing:

Once you the the Trantorque bushing loose you should be able to remove it by loosening it all the way until the inner pieces come out. Mine was tough to break loose but not as tough as the ones on the living room slide, I have a slight misalignment I can't fix because I can't get them past that initial loosen-tighten while loosening point.

The shaft on our coach had been torqued so much it broke into two pieces right where the square piece was welded on. Newmar had a little trouble understanding what I needed until I sent them a picture:
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #10

Use PB Blaster instead of WD 40 to breake parts loose. Works much better on frozen parts
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I know this is an old thread, but I may need to replace my slide motor. Can you tell me where your was purchased, and how much they cost? Mine is a 1994 Kountry Aire.

-Joel
ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had to go to Newmar to get the replacement ($500 +)
Now some motors/gearboxes have gears that can be replaced. If the motor is still running you may luck out. If the small drive gear is damaged, they don't have replacements for that one.
Make sure you have the motor out of the MH before you take the housing apart, there is a cup full of grease in it and it will stink up the bedroom real good if you drop any in there.
I had a real hard time getting my torque Nut loose also, I had to use a Tie Rod Seperator Tool (Pickle Fork) and a 5 pound hammer on it to get it apart.
I was lucky that I was able to bring it in/out with a pipe wrench until I got the motor.
Make sure you back the current pot on the controller all the way back to min, or the new motor might really do some damage, (Keep your hand on the switch until you get it set right)
Good luck. It is real easy once you have the new motor in your hand in the old one out)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Roadwalt,

Can you explain a little more about how you got your torque nut loose? What is a Pickle Fork? Exactly what part of the shaft did you hit with the hammer? Am I going to have to take a big swing at this thing? I am afraid of making things worse.

-Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwalt View Post
I had a real hard time getting my torque Nut loose also, I had to use a Tie Rod Seperator Tool (Pickle Fork) and a 5 pound hammer on it to get it apart.
I was lucky that I was able to bring it in/out with a pipe wrench until I got the motor.
ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is what he's talking about. You would place over shaft and up against nut to separate shaft from from bushing , gives a larger surface to hit with hammer.