Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bedroom slide needs assist

Went to put out the Bedroom slide on my CS and it stops part of the way. With pressure on it, then it will continue on Probably one revolution on the gear and then it shutters and stops moving, put pressure on the the slide and it will continue out. This happens about three times. It does Retract with No Problem and no assistance.

Thoughts? Fix?

CC
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

1 Stay connected to shore power when opening and closing slides.
2 Are your batteries and connections in good condition?
3 If OK with the 2 above suggestions then there is a very small electrical dial in the top left on slide out control box in the basement that control power to motor for slide turn it 1/8 of turn Clock Wise. You could do this adjustment 1 or 2 more times till slide comes all the way in.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
1 Stay connected to shore power when opening and closing slides.
2 Are your batteries and connections in good condition?
3 If OK with the 2 above suggestions then there is a very small electrical dial in the top left on slide out control box in the basement that control power to motor for slide turn it 1/8 of turn Clock Wise. You could do this adjustment 1 or 2 more times till slide comes all the way in.
Tom... slide will come in Ok, it needs assistance when extending. The adjustment above, are there two adjustments? One for extending? One for Retracting?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tom..... just another note. My Slide will go out (extend) all the way. It just needs assistance. When it hits a certain point, I need to push on the slide to get it to extend.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #5

Just a thought. This week while extending kitchen slide it would stop before fully out. I did observe it was making a bit of noise from where the rubber meets the slides and having difficulty. So I gently pushed the top of the slide while extending. May need to lubricate the seals.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #6

CC.....I second what Tom is saying as we had the same problem with our big slide. I took it in and the mechanic showed me how to adjust the slide controllers. At first I thought it was making a difference when I pushed it, but it was more likely that it was just the turning on/off the power that made it extend. Once we did the adjustment the slide went in/out just as it should, and has never occurred again. It only takes a slight adjustment, and sometimes the constant vibration while driving over time is just enough to make it not have enough power. The controller adjustment covers both ways/in and out, so there are not two adjustments needed. The other thing to make sure of, is on the bedroom slide, make sure there is no dirt or grease on the metal bands with holes in them on the bottom of the slide, that can affect how it travels in/out too. Good luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Slide will not go out without assistance

here is a pic if what I found in the basement. Adjusting the controller did not help.

Slide does come in (Retracts) with no assistance. When extending, It moves about 6 inches or so going out then is shutters, when you push on it, it will move forward without assistance, then again stops and will not move with assistance. You have to do this several times to get it all the way out. Pic below.

Any other Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (3).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	157646  
Old 04-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked motor for loose bolts or maybe a old slipper getting caught under slide bed sides jamming slide from moving, may need flashlight to check under boards under lift up platform.
TSB for motor bolts can be found here for your year coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My coach is in the shop for the very same thing. This is the second time it's been there. Here's what the factory told me about how to diagnose the problem.

1. Remove the controller from a slide room know to work, use it in place of the one that is suspect. If it fixes the issue it's likely a defective controller

2. Check the 20 Amp slide/s fuse in the bathroom. It is a 20 amp blade fuse (automotive type two prong bayonet fuse) this fuse is for all of your slide motors. Mine was still working but heavily corroded on the inside of the fuses plastic case. I was green like it had been wet. Once that was replaced, the operation went back to near normal.

3. After the fuse replacement, the amperage pot (shown in the above photos required adjustment. If you tackle this you want to turn that pot counter clockwise to increase the amperage to your slide motor. Think of the pot as a clock. Only turn that pot "five minutes" at a time on the clock and to increase amperage and therefore the power at the motor you need to turn the pot "counter clockwise. Make sure you only adjust it five minutes at a time and test the room slide. Once you get it moving consistently and smoothly you should stop further adjustment.

One caveat to the above adjustment procedure. If you run out of adjustment on that pot, and the room still isn't operating properly it may still be the controller. ALSO, you can check for continuity across the motor winding's to insure the motor is ok. According to Newmars own technicians, these motors are rarely faulty even if they are old.

4. The technician also told me to check all ground wires associated the controller and motor. He said find them and clean the connector, and the frame where they are attached.

5. Once the room is out I was told to check the "ramp" that the slide goes up and down to achieve flat floor when deployed and to clear the flat floor when retracting. He said screws work loose and can obstruct proper operation. Our very own "007" (moderator extrodinaire) told me the same thing. In my case it was fine without obstruction.

I hope this helps.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide