Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Bedroom Slide out stops

2005 Dutch Star DP: Curbside bedroom slide out- The button activates the aural warning, 5 seconds pass and the motor engages. The slide moves out about 6 inches terribly slow, then quits. Press the button again and the slide "tries" to come back in, stopping 2 inches short of complete travel. So either direction is only 3-4 inches of travel and it stops. No really strange sounds but it does sound like the motor is laboring badly. I have no reason to think i have an alignment or other mechanical issue. The drive motor is housed in a small compartment just aft of the rear tire, but the motor shaft passes into an enclosed space just forward of that.

Very much appreciate anything you guys can share....
Flyerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #2

If it is not an alignment or other mechanical issue, then it could be an electrical or power issue.

I improved my slide out performance by cleaning all the battery connections I could find... I am still searching for 2 of them.

Good batteries and clean wiring are helpful when operating the slides. What is the voltage at your 12V house fuse terminal just before you operate the slideout? Also, what is the voltage when the slide is moving?

In the past, I have found it helpful to operate the slide while the batteries are being charged... 14.1V. This helps deliver good power to the motor.

And minimize other 12V devices when operating the slideout. No lights or anything else.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #3

It could be your slide controller is out of adjustment. Ours are located in one of the storage bays, on the wall. There is a slide controller for each slide, and they can vibrate out of adjustment. Ours did this, and we experienced very similar to what you describe. If you adjust it, just make the adjustment in very slight adjustments until there is enough power provided to bring the slide in without stopping.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two good answers a good 12v's is required for motor to operate better when still plugged in shore power or Gen operating.
Slide motors are slow to operate your slides.
Look in QT's link 1 & 2 below and the slide section information to learn about your slides and all the links below in my signature will have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
hey gang,

I did some homework, and tore into the mechanism. The motor does not turn. I removed it from the slide out and it still didn't turn. so I tore into the gear box and discovered one silly little gear is STUCK. So if gear is stuck, motor won't turn, slide out wont move.

The gear that is stuck is not inside the "large" gear box compartment....NO NO NO... it is in the inner compartment, which at this point appears to be un-accessible.

Summary: Internal gear is stuck, motor is fried (as in REAL fried) , now shopping for the entire assembly. Some on ebay for about $500, so still shopping. thanks for your help all...
Flyerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out