Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 AM   #1

I have over researched for a 40 foot diesel and I always end up at a dutch star. I will use it about 6k miles a year. My first mh.I like the slide locks also the generator slide and lower compartment locks. I must have a side rad. these are my questions. at least the first few of them.
1 aqua heat -- i have read several post of problems. is 8k more worth it for as little I will use it.
2 what is trip tek??? no one can explain
3 has anyone had trouble with grout cracking????
4 is 26% discount normal or is there more to get?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 AM   #2

I have over researched for a 40 foot diesel and I always end up at a dutch star. I will use it about 6k miles a year. My first mh.I like the slide locks also the generator slide and lower compartment locks. I must have a side rad. these are my questions. at least the first few of them.
1 aqua heat -- i have read several post of problems. is 8k more worth it for as little I will use it.
2 what is trip tek??? no one can explain
3 has anyone had trouble with grout cracking????
4 is 26% discount normal or is there more to get?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #3

I just made a post about #4...it is titled "Now you guys have me wondering"
Here is the link
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9486094452/m/8641036723

Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #4

#2 is a computer hooked to the engine,and ?. It has several read outs. With about 4/5 different screens. Today, Leg, Trip, Engine etc. I use mine all the time and its great. There are other systems available that do the same thing , but mine came with the coach...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #5

I have HydroHot and it is very nice..quiet and output temp of about 155 degrees on diesel. When in cold weather, heat pumps quit in the upper 30s,..that leaves propane or nothing without hydrohot. Also, you can heat the house while under way using engine heat and not your generator or propane...8K will buy alot of each tho...its a comfort thing I guess
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome clnhse to irv2 and the Newmar forum
Can't help you with diesel end of things but as to buying a Newmar your on the right track.
You have some experts that will chime in and have the answers for you. Your doing the right thing which some people do not do and thats ask.
Good luck in your quest and enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Hi ????

Like you, I researched motorhomes for years, and kept coming back to the Dutch Star. For me, it had the most bang for the buck. I'm very happy with my choice.

1. I didn't get the Hydro Hot as I don't plan on being in cold places, but it's been cold here in Florida and the heat pumps and furnace work well. I look at it as personal preference.

2. Didn't get the Trip Tek as I have the Silverleaf program. Personal preference again.

3. I got the marble look no wax tile, and it looks better than I expected. No grout or tile cracking worries, but I don't think cracking is much of an issue anymore. Personal preference again.

4. 28% off MSRP is available from several dealers just for the asking.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #8

1. I would not pay 8K for the aqua heat unless I spent a lot of time in cold weather. The heat pumps work great. With the superior Newmar insulation, dual pane windows, we heat ours a lot of times with a small ceramic heater plugged into the wall. We seldom ever need the LP furnace.
3. We have real ceramic tile and do not have even ONE place where tile grout has cracked that I know of.
4. I think 26% is a good price - not the greatest in the world but a good fair price.

I have another 2 cents to add. Some people go around beating up dealers for the absolute lowest cheapest bottom dollar out of town price you can get, but I place a lot of value on having a local dealer that I have a good relationship with. I think this is important - maybe not so much so if you are a fulltimer and travel all the time. But I have bought 2 Newmars from the same dealer - a local dealer. If I need something I can depend on them to help me. They have gone out of their way before and I know I get a better mechanic and better service than if I had bought it somewhere else. Just something to think about when checking all the internet dealers. Don't let a local guy hose you - but if he can put together a fair deal - maybe another half percent or whatever is not so important in the long run.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clnhse:
I have over researched for a 40 foot diesel and I always end up at a dutch star. I will use it about 6k miles a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
clnhse, given your expected mileage it's difficult to justify a Diesel chassis. Several manufacturers have told me that the break-even point is somewhere around 30K miles per year, and I must assume that's for an "entry-level" Diesel chassis.(e.g. Freightliner XC or equiv.).

I'm quite happy with my Scottsdale and given my anticipated usage for the next several years I'm not considering trading.

OK, maybe I'm not being helpful here, but it seems to me that you'll be spending quite a lot of money up front and in depreciation for a coach on a mid-level Diesel chassis that just isn't going to be used very much.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #10

I think it's MORE than just yearly mileage, or almost no one would be buying a DP. The average RV goes about 7K miles a year, including DPs. Main consideration factors are drive and ride comfort, overall size/livability space and towing capicity and ability. Those considerations dont come cheap, but are really appreciated alot, even at 7K miles a year
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #11

How powerful are the headlights on the dutchstar? The light look small.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #12

I know and value your opinion on the gas vs. diesel, I am going to by what I what and not what I need. In my business we sell duramax pickups. all too often people pay 5k more for an engine that the customer will never get their use out of. I might just like the noise it makes at idle......
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The headlights on the Dutch Star are Hella projector lamps. Some cars use the same style.

Many of us don't drive at night, (probably fulltimers) as there is no need to. However, I have started out before sun up and I am satisfied with the headlights.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Many people think those of us who buy coaches are crazy in the first place. You don't need to explain. If you want diesel, get diesel. I don't want to get into the Holy War which has been fought since the dawn of, . . well I don't even know since when.

Anyway, I chose diesel on my first coach because that's what came w/the floor plan we (aka my wife) liked. I have never owned a gas coach but, have been in some great ones.

I took a long time finding my second coach and came to the DSDP every time, like you. Same reason as Route 66 - it seems to have the most features for the price point. Newmar has a great reputation and members of this forum backed it up time and again.

Regarding the HydroHot. It is $7,666 on the MSRP sheet. Please discount it by at least 25% and it comes to $5,750 at the end of the deal. Still pricey but, maybe more tolerable.

It is often brought up that the HydroHot wasn't purchased because heating isn't needed. However, the unlimited hot water is the key thing for our family. No more military showers, or waiting for the heater to finish.

Regarding the heating, the heat does seem "softer", more radiant and evenly distributed throughout the coach. We do a lot of cold weather camping and we haven't needed a humidifier as in the past. (this is not scientific by any stretch. Just our experience.)

BTW, I don't think I'll ever have to fill my propane tank now that I have the HydroHot. We camped for 2 months this past fall and we're still on full. Don't know how the use of Diesel vs. Propane equation works out, i.e. BTU efficiency out of each. I'm sure Peter will have that figured out by tomorrow.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote