Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #1

Bell End Bearing Replacement - Onan 10K Generator

My Onan (HDKCA) needs a bell end bearing (rotor bearing). Can I pull out the rotor without removing the front of the coach?

Thanks
BrokeDown
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

Did you mean that you could pull the gen. set out with out removing the front of coach?
You do a lot of service to both 10K and 12.5k Onan gen. with out pull from coach.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Did you mean that you could pull the gen. set out with out removing the front of coach?
I was planning on fixing the gen set myself which is why I asked the original question.

I found a local company that will fix the gen set but I will have to leave it there. We are full time and we do not want to leave the coach at the shop while they are working on it. They say that it will take a couple of days to do the complete job (diagnose, disassembly, order parts, assemble and test.)

I suspect they will have to remove the front of the coach to get the gen set out?

Thanks
Brokedown
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #4

Don't know how yours is mounted but on my previous coach they were able to remove it by raising the coach and dropping it to the ground.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

Did you ever get it resolved? I have a 12.5 as well that I believe is developing a bearing problem. After it warms up it will do these 1 second hard rattles maybe every 3-4 minutes..almost sounds like something loose. The noise is definitely in the front of it where the stator is and not the motor. It doesn't do it (or barely) if it's under a good load. But the other day I had the cabinet open and the sunlight lit up some very fine metal shavings inside that are got caught in some old oil stains.

Like you, we fulltime as well, and don't want to play the drop off and wait game. I can easily get my whole unit out on a slide and access it. Curious to know what yours did and how hard to fix.
LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, generator, onan, replace, replacement